DVDVR Message Board

UFC 259: Błachowicz vs. Adesanya (3/6/2021) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

8 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

If Israel Adesanya wants to ever make another run at light heavyweight he needs to take more time to put on muscle mass and be able to deal with those bigger dudes.

The problem with that though is extra muscle will affect his speed, which he relies so much on. I think he could beat some good LHWs, but he's not a phenom when it comes to defensive wrestling. What helps him stop takedowns at middleweight is he's virtually the same size if not bigger than his opponent. The thing is he doesn't have to sacrifice that speed. 

Plus, the fact he isn't a power puncher hurts (I think that will hurt Jon moving up at HW to be fair). The stinging blows he would land on a middleweight barely fazed Jan. Same with the low kicks. He tried chopping him down....still there after 3 rounds. The one thing that aided Jan in this fight is he didn't go through long stretches of inactivity. I think he got stunned once, but once he shook it off, he went back to work. It wasn't relentless pressure, but he didn't go away. That eventually wears on a guy especially one that hasn't had too many close fights. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Jones soaks up a lot of shots and I'm interested to see how he will approach guys that he can't really do that against. Probably works harder for the takedown rather than staying in the clinch along the cage. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, Jones soaks up a lot of shots and I'm interested to see how he will approach guys that he can't really do that against. Probably works harder for the takedown rather than staying in the clinch along the cage. 

I think what has eliminated much of Jones' dynamic striking ability and also volume from when he was younger is fighters have done a much better job at erasing the space in front of him. I feel that some of this has to do with Jones not having a Sunday punch or signature strike he can always land to turn the tide, control the pace, or keep his opponent honest. So you can be super aggressive as long you don't run into a high kick. That's what allowed Reyes and Marreta to be competitive.

However, we saw recently with Reyes up against Blachowicz and saw with Marreta against Rakic tonight and other opponents over his UFC career that what you can do now against Jon Jones will not work against guys who have power or have striking ability that is a clear and present danger. So basically, it just seems like an elementary thing a fighter chooses to not find a workaround to and just simply concedes to. You can never let fighters feel that comfortable against you. On top of that, you have to know punching power becomes much more important as you move up in weight. Therefore, you have to be more active. And not only more active, you have to force opponents to respect the distance you're trying to maintain.

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Time to stop running fight cards with three title fights. This event went over eight hours.

Or it's time for you to stop watching the entire event if you were.

Amanda Nunes resume of names she's beaten is something else: Cyborg (that was such a satisfying moment, one of my favourites since becoming a fully fledged fan of the sport in January 2005), Miesha Tate, Ronda Rousey, Holly Holm, Megan Anderson and Valentina Shevchenko. All but Shevchenko were battered. Nunes finished the others with the exception of Valentina.

Caught the replay this morning.  Really disappointed with the Yan / Sterling fight.  I know that Aljia didn't want to win the title that way.  The shenanigans and controversy will make a rematch the money fight, but I'd sit Yan's punk ass at the back of the bus for that illegal knee and send the right message to the rest of the contenders.  Do not reward bad behavior.

Nunes is Nunes.  I expected no less.

Poor Izzy fought like a guy who did not feel comfortable in his own skin.  The leap from 185 to 205 took its toll on him, but he still went the distance so there's that.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Dave Meltzer:

Regarding last night's UFC main event, Judge Derek Cleary gave rounds one, two, four and five to Jan Blachowicz as well as a 10-8 fifth.  Judge Sal D'Amato gave one, two, four and five to Blachowicz. Judge Junichiro Kamiyo gave one, three, four and five to Blachowicz and a 10-8 fifth round.  Dana White after the show said it was nuts, saying in no way did Blachowicz win four rounds and that the final round shouldn't have been a 10-8.  Based on tons of different fan scores, the general feeling was Blachowicz 48-47, winning rounds two, four and five. To me, rounds one and two could have gone either way. Most had Israel Adesanya in round one and Blachowicz in two, but either way was fine. Round three was Adesanya, but not a blow out.  Four and five were Blachowicz. Ten point must sucks because you could have easily scored it 48-47 for Adesanya while thinking Blachowicz really won the fight.  For me using current scoring I had 48-47 Adesanya, but if it was half point scoring I'd have had I'd have had it 48.5 to 47.5 for Blachowicz.  

Even though all three judges gave Blachowicz four rounds, of 28 media scores, only one gave him four and not one of 28 gave the last round 10-8. Of the scores we've seen it was 76-24% in favor of Blachowicz.

Adesanya last night said that there should be open scoring. It will never happen because we will never learn from foreign countries. I've been to shows with open scoring in Japan. It's better for the fans and much better for the fighters.  It makes it more exciting. But it doesn't matter, commissions take forever to change and those in power don't watch Japan or other places to learn, so they don't learn and just go into the idea of what would happen (fighters ahead will stall knowing they are ahead) even though their idea really doesn't happen often, and no more then when fighters already assume they are ahead.

On 3/7/2021 at 12:32 AM, TheVileOne said:

Time to stop running fight cards with three title fights. This event went over eight hours.

Why is this a problem? I  call it "getting my money's worth".