DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/3/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I want to know how much money they wasted on paying Sting to be a "full-timer" who can't even really wrestle.

If that's a waste, then hiring Billy Gunn and all of his offspring has to be the direct opposite of a huge financial windfall.

I like how folks are pocket watching a man who is essentially a MULTI-billionaire. Lots of financial advisers and CPAs round here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/4/2021 at 12:53 AM, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Where does the Shaq match rate as far as celebrity matches go? Or even on a Tom Magee miracle match scale?

Mayweather still the best. LT marginally better. Can't think of anything else as good.

Kevin Greene with Flair and Piper vs. Hall/Nash/Syxx. Perhaps not the most fair because the talent level in that match is considerably higher, but Greene held up his end. Pat McAfee Wargames was better too, plus he actually hyped it well.

Shaq lumbering around like Khali was better than it had any right to be, though. Jade Cargill has IT.

I fear for Darby Allin's health on Sunday after he and Sting made the Taz family look like chumps the last two weeks.

Can Pac/Fenix squash some jobbers every week for like a year?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

Kevin Greene with Flair and Piper vs. Hall/Nash/Syxx. 

That match is such a banger. Came to it when watching '97 Nitro on the Network and was shocked at how great it was. A real hidden WCW gem.

• Like 1

Yeah, rewatched it when he passed and it is even better than I remember and as a kid I thought he obviously would've been a huge star had he committed to wrestling after his playing career. I'd say that's the best followed by LT/BBB. This match had one experienced pro wrestler, a young and inexperienced but promising prospect, a phenom making her debut, and Shaq. It had no fuckin right being this much fun. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Now Daniel Cormier...he could possibly be pretty good at wrestling. Huge wrestling fan and always been pining to do pro wrestling. Has some charisma. Not a tall man but EXTREMELY powerful. Could also serve as a commentator as well because he does the UFC PPVs and does good job most of the time even if he is a little erratic at other times. Legit ATG in MMA and former Olympian. Still has enough physically to do it. Makes all the sense in the world. 

Tony Khan said it was "a major star in the world of wrestling"... which I guess would be true?  Just not PRO wrestling.

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

I really hope AEW doesn’t have an indie guy none of the casual fans have heard of debut as a surprise again.

Fuck the casual fans.  Why are we so concerned about whether AEW can draw casuals?  How about we just hope for a good show and let them worry about the business end?  What is more enjoyable:

Waiting on a surprise wrestler and saying, "man, I hope this guy is a draw that can bring in people who barely like wrestling and make TK some money!"

OR

Waiting on a surprise wrestler and saying, "man, I hope this guy is really fucking good at wrestling so I can enjoy this shit even more!"

When did we stop being wrestling fans and instead became fans of business?  When did we trade in Pro Wrestling Illustrated for Pro Balance Sheet Illustrated?

Here's who I hope shows up for either of these roles or both, even though some are impossible due to contracts, because I fucking like wrestling and not TK's bank account or whether people who barely like wrestling will be drawn to this shit:

Chris Hero

Chris Dickinson

Calvin Tankman

Blake Christian

Hoodfoot

Thomas Santell

Mike Bailey

Tom Lawlor

O'Shay Edwards

Lord Crewe

The amazing and resurgent Suge D working his bitter heel gimmick

Anybody being criminally misused in WWE or NXT

Whoever @NoFistsJustFlipsis

I like watching a good wrestling match.  I don't give two good shits whether somebody is a draw and might rope in the casuals.

This is not meant to be a slight of @Bryan  It's meant to be a slight of this bullshit mentality.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Here's who I hope shows up for either of these roles or both, even though some are impossible due to contracts, because I fucking like wrestling and not TK's bank account or whether people who barely like wrestling will be drawn to this shit:

Mike Bailey

Technico, I'm on board with most of the guys you listed but Bailey is someone I've never been able to get into.  What exactly do you like about him?  Maybe if I revisit with a different perspective I can get it.  Are there any particular matches you would recommend?

7 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

Technico, I'm on board with most of the guys you listed but Bailey is someone I've never been able to get into.  What exactly do you like about him?  Maybe if I revisit with a different perspective I can get it.  Are there any particular matches you would recommend?

I haven't seen him since he got banned from working in the US but I always enjoyed his fast-paced style, his martial arts shit,  how he works a really good underdog role, and as Excalibur once said, "he looks like a kid whose mom dropped him off at the wrong building for karate class AND HE DECIDED TO STAY AND FIGHT GROWN MEN!"  His PWG run a few years back was very good.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

@Technico SupportCompletely understand what you're saying and it's a great post. I think I often find myself on the other side of your argument here, so I just wanted to offer this: I think theres a few different things confluencing here.

1) The desire for wrestling to be a cool, mainstream thing like it was in the late '90s

2) the very natural, human, non-wrestling-specific idea of "I want more people to like the things I like"

3) WWE has been the only game in town for two decades on any sort of national scale

(Edit: Want to shout @Jijihere for making this point while I was typing)

4) Social media -  Everyone thinks they're a journalist now and knows the business end more than anyone else.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

Front loading Dynamite and a multi-week build worked. 934k viewers.

With *this* line-up!!

Cody Rhodes & Red Velvet (w/Arn Anderson) vs. Jade Cargill & Shaquille O'Neal

AEW Women's World Title Eliminator Tournament Final Match - Ryo Mizunami vs. Nyla Rose

Six Man Tag Team Match - FTR (Cash Wheeler & Dax Harwood) & Tully Blanchard vs. Jurassic Express (Jungle Boy, Luchasaurus & Marko Stunt)

AEW TNT Title #1 Contendership Face Of The Revolution Ladder Qualifying Match - Max Caster (w/Anthony Bowens) vs. Ten

Tag Team Match - Adam Page & John Silver vs. Marq Quen & Matt Hardy

Plus Big Show showing up, and Jericho and MJF talking.

No announced appearances by Mox, Omega, The Bucks...

Back in 2017 it seemed entirely reasonable to doubt that Cody (and Omega and the Bucks) (*and* Okada and Ibushi and Rey Mysterio)(!!) could draw 10k to a show.

In Sept 2018 they drew 11k plus and something like a 50k buyrate.

A little over a year later, in October 2019,  we got the first episode of Dynamite. 

A year and a half later... Almost a million live same day viewers! With *that* line-up! 

Two years ago, I'm sure more than 934k people knew who Shaq, Jericho, Big Show, Tully, Matt Hardy and the Revival were. Maybe Cody and Page, too? 

Half those names are people I could not have picked out of a line-up two years ago. And the pulled almost a million viewers!

Maybe Tony K deserves his WON awards.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@Technico SupportCompletely understand what you're saying and it's a great post. I think I often find myself on the other side of your argument here, so I just wanted to offer this: I think theres a few different things confluencing here.

1) The desire for wrestling to be a cool, mainstream thing like it was in the late '90s

2) the very natural, human, non-wrestling-specific idea of "I want more people to like the things I like"

3) WWE has been the only game in town for two decades on any sort of national scale

(Edit: Want to shout @Jijihere for making this point while I was typing)

4) Social media -  Everyone thinks they're a journalist now and knows the business end more than anyone else.

Thanks!  Yeah, I get all that.  I'm just personally in a place where watching something really enjoyable is the most important thing for me.  It's hard for me to empathize with people more concerned with whether other people that they don't even know will like something.  I've lived through two boom periods.  When they end, those people go away, so caring about them is a lost cause.  Wrestling will always go back to being a niche.  Which matters even less today since just about everything is niche now.

BTW, more casual fans know who Joey Ryan is (HEY IT'S THE DICK GUY!) than, say, Blake Christian.  Do we want Joey to show up because of that?

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, The Natural said:

FYI Sting's merchandise was pulled from wwe.com before he joined AEW. BORK LASER confirmed!!!

Dear Lord I hope the plan is not to run Le Snar on top with a part time schedule!

I really like my hoodie ?

If he can't use his real name (obviously he can) I really hope AEW goes with a Space Mutiny Dave Ryder special.

Slab Bulkhead!

Fridge Largemeat!

Butch Deadlift!

Thick McRunfast!

Fist Rockbone!

Eat Punchbeef!

Big McLargehuge! 

Rip Steakface!

Bob Johnson! Oh, wait...

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Dear Lord I hope the plan is not to run Le Snar on top with a part time schedule!

I really like my hoodie ?

If he can't use his real name (obviously he can) I really hope AEW goes with a Space Mutiny Dave Ryder special.

Slab Bulkhead!

Fridge Largemeat!

Butch Deadlift!

Thick McRunfast!

Fist Rockbone!

Eat Punchbeef!

Big McLargehuge! 

Bob Johnson! Oh, wait...

Didn’t BigMcLargehuge used to post here?  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I really like my hoodie

Putting it out there but instead of burning it if it's size XL I'd be more than happy to buy it from you instead.  But whether it's Brock or not I hope you keep it.

Now I will say if we get a motivated Brock who's not all about Suplex City then there would be some interesting matchups for him.  The only thing is he has long admitted to liking the money more than wrestling and who knows what he can do now compared to '03.  Plus that would give some bad signals if they end up pulling the Brinks truck to him.  And yes I know about the multi-billionaire stuff but that doesn't mean that TK's going to be the AEW equivalent of "ATM Eric".

• Haha 2

I don't think his deal is up yet, but I'd love if Hall of Famer they are referring to is Shinsuke Nakumara. American wrestling fans that have not watched New Japan deserve to see a legitimate legend treated a whole lot better in America.

• Like 4