DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/3/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Someone asked Aubrey on Twitter if she was reffing the main event and she said she’ll be watching safely from the back. I think they have enough legends who can barely work to be signing multi year deals, but I’ll wait and see and hope for the best. I’m thinking it will be an Angle or Foley type. We’ll find out soon enough. The only American that would truly excite me would be Punk but I’m not holding my breath. 

6 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Minoru Suzuki moving to AEW full time would work for me. Tons of guys on the AEW roster I'd love to see him fight. He and Mox have history. Definitely Hall of Fame worthy. Probably doesn't count as a huge huge star for American fans, though?

This is where I came down on whether to speculate about talent from Japan. Lots of potentially huge assets. Lots of guys who key parts of AEW built their reputation working with. But we're parsing what people mean by "major major star." 

Gimme all the Suzuki or Ishii they can get of course. I don't think that's this conversation. But maybe I'm wrong, who knows?

• Like 3

STUUUUUUPID fucking guesses (just throwing darts randomly):

Nick Gage

Magnus (assuming contract isn't an issue)

Sara Stock

Cobb?????

I don't think they specified gender is why I'm adding Sara. Saw some guesses about Lita and Trish. Do any of the Apache sisters still wrestle?

Hijo de Vikingo finally????

Dunno Samoa Joe's status but he's been vague about an in ring return so another guess worth mocking

Super Crazy? Jacob Fatu? One of the Parkas?

Done with my wild guesses ?

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

This is awesome.  Mei Suruga and Emi Sakura crying after Ryo Mizunami wins.

ChocoTalks are perfect background noise for me. I really appreciate Aki's translating and how they keep kayfabe but also give insight to their wrestling philosophies at the same time. It's great. Just listening to the episode covering the Stardom Budokan show and they spend like an hour talking about the Gatoh Move entrance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

STUUUUUUPID fucking guesses (just throwing darts randomly):

Nick Gage

Magnus (assuming contract isn't an issue)

Sara Stock

Cobb?????

I don't think they specified gender is why I'm adding Sara. Saw some guesses about Lita and Trish. Do any of the Apache sisters still wrestle?

Hijo de Vikingo finally????

Dunno Samoa Joe's status but he's been vague about an in ring return so another guess worth mocking

Super Crazy? Jacob Fatu? One of the Parkas?

Done with my wild guesses ?

Jacob Fatu is pretty huge! Physically.

And I'd love to see him in AEW.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

It would be interesting if it was someone from MMA or another sport. I would be pretty excited to see what GSP or Spider Siva could do in the ring, and the are huge stars. 

Yeah, I don't either GSP or Anderson having anything to do with wrestling. GSP is currently enjoying retirement and never really shown interest in doing anything else besides maybe films. Anderson....that's even more unlikely. There is a large stigma among Brazilians about wrestling being fake and everything that comes with that. That probably explains why last I checked pro wrestling hasn't been big in Brazil in 3 or 4 decades. Moreover, Anderson has looked ancient over the last few years. Sting in his early 60s moves MUCH, MUCH better than Anderson Silva in his mid 40s. He has had so much wear and tear on his body that it makes no sense for him to be doing pro wrestling.

Now Daniel Cormier...he could possibly be pretty good at wrestling. Huge wrestling fan and always been pining to do pro wrestling. Has some charisma. Not a tall man but EXTREMELY powerful. Could also serve as a commentator as well because he does the UFC PPVs and does good job most of the time even if he is a little erratic at other times. Legit ATG in MMA and former Olympian. Still has enough physically to do it. Makes all the sense in the world. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

BTW, this has to be a very positive sign for Revolution. They pop a nearly 1 million viewership for the go-home episode and it's widely regarded as another very good episode. They should do another 100k buys easily. I wonder what rating the Road to Revolution show did afterward.

Did anyone else watch that and is it worth watching? I have it recorded, but I just don't know if I want to spend the time watching it.

I haven’t seen it, but apparently according to wreddit the Road To show was 51st with 347k viewers, not too shabby. With the Wednesday ratings you would have to think they break 100k for the PPV. I’m certainly buying after this great run and build, never mind the intrigue of the new signing, ladder participant and the car crash spectacle of the Mox/Omega confrontation.

19 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Not gonna happen, but hypothetically booking things you do with Lesnar:

• Priority one is obviously an Omega match. It would be too interesting not to do.
  • Re-match with Moxley. Moxley's always resented that match. Brock cockily laughs it off because he didn't need to sink to Moxley's level to beat him. 
  • A carefully laid-out Wardlow match that puts their young supposed hoss over as on that level.
  • The above maybe in service of an MJF match, with the cocky young prick running afoul of Brock and trying to weasel his way out of a well-earned beating.
  • Maybe a Cody match, because it'd be good so why not?

You could get through a year and a half of sporadic Brock matches with maybe less than that. And who knows where the company is then. 

You obviously don't put the strap on him and let him hold the title scene hostage like they do in that other company. But you can do plenty with an attraction like Brock in this hypothetical fantasy world I'd like to live in. 

Agreed 100%. Brock would be a dream and I would love all of the above. There's no way in hell Cody is a maybe though! Brother has to get in on that and probably as victim #1 before Brock faces Omega (with the idea being he gets a win back later). With Brock, he'd probably need a mouthpiece because, and as much joy as I get from it in a comedic sense, "LET'S DO THIIIIS" really quickly diminishes his aura. Loved the "dominant" UFC-esque pre-taped promo on the other hand. That's an all-timer for my friends and me. 

Fuckin' hell, would DC be another fantastic pickup too. 

I love Mark Henry to bits, so I'm cool if it's him or Kurt Angle for that matter. Chris Hero is one of the best of his generation and all, but man, he is not a huge star. ? They've done such a good job respecting their legends but not at the expense of their current crop of guys that I'm totally okay bringing in a few more. I do not need to see them every week like Sting, mind you.

Nice little bonus fun in addition to a stacked, well built PPV. I would've paid $100 (Canadian, to be clear) just for the exploding barbed wire match. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I don't see Booker coming in due to the Bad Bunny video, no way he isn't locked into a Legends deal. Though I guess AEW signing him would certainly be an interesting way of trying to capitalize on that. Imagine being WWE, and having this mainstream rapper on your roster, and you can't even play his new hit video because the star is under contract to the competition. Stupid as fuck, ultra-petty, waste of money, yes, but I can't honestly say it wouldn't be kinda delicious.

I love petty shit like that...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Agreed 100%. Brock would be a dream and I would love all of the above. There's no way in hell Cody is a maybe though! Brother has to get in on that and probably as victim #1 before Brock faces Omega (with the idea being he gets a win back later). With Brock, he'd probably need a mouthpiece because, and as much joy as I get from it in a comedic sense, "LET'S DO THIIIIS" really quickly diminishes his aura. Loved the "dominant" UFC-esque pre-taped promo on the other hand. That's an all-timer for my friends and me. 

"What's running through John Cena's mind? I don't give a crap what's running through his mind. What's more important is what's running down his leg: Piss. The guy is scared. The guy is scared pissless. He's shittin' his pants is what he's doing."

• Like 6

Also, that thing with Mox & Lesnar felt pretty personal, at least from Mox's perspective. I wouldn't count on them working each other again, regardless of what channel it's on.

• Like 1

Business is business.

Lesnar knows what side his bread is buttered on though. They’d need to exceed anything WWE can offer to get him in - by far. It’d blow the whole roster salary cap up. Can’t see it happening at all.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, A_K said:

Business is business.

Lesnar knows what side his bread is buttered on though. They’d need to exceed anything WWE can offer to get him in - by far. It’d blow the whole roster salary cap up. Can’t see it happening at all.

• Like 1

I really shouldn't have watched the Bucks promo back-to-back with the backstage segment after the FTR/Tully match.

It's highly appreciated that they helped ensare a money mark to create a whole new national promotion but I don't fucking care about anything they do. They don't look credible, I watch their matches with a morbid dread that someone's going to kick out of taking an artillery shell to the gut, and if that was their go-home promo then holy shit. They can't even pull off LOOKING angry, much less sounding it. Shoot-y crap doesn't work if you don't already have a decent foundation for its delivery. I mean, these two assholes fucked up your father! PAPA BUCK~ and all that, he even gets a gimmick name! Why are you saying catty shit? 

I get mad at this stuff because I WANT this promotion to succeed but fucking hell. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

A fleeting high guy thought I want to document in case I'm somehow right:

X-Pac

I think he just had major knee surgery that he's needed for decades.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, A_K said:

Business is business.

I want to know how much money they wasted on paying Sting to be a "full-timer" who can't even really wrestle.

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

"What's running through John Cena's mind? I don't give a crap what's running through his mind. What's more important is what's running down his leg: Piss. The guy is scared. The guy is scared pissless. He's shittin' his pants is what he's doing."

Still one of the best video packages ever. Thanks for posting.