DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/3/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Was thinking Mike Bailey as a possibility for the ladder match but he's said it's going to take time to get a visa and all that. Could be downplaying it to throw people off, but I doubt it. Page is obviously a better personality/character than Bailey, but Bailey's work is pretty damn fun. 

Kurt Angle is already in a couple of Halls of Fame. The USA Wrestling one, and the Impact one. Probably Meltzer's as well.

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

Kurt Angle is already in a couple of Halls of Fame. The USA Wrestling one, and the Impact one. Probably Meltzer's as well.

Yes the WON and WWE ones

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Was thinking Mike Bailey as a possibility for the ladder match but he's said it's going to take time to get a visa and all that. Could be downplaying it to throw people off, but I doubt it. Page is obviously a better personality/character than Bailey, but Bailey's work is pretty damn fun. 

I really hope AEW doesn’t have an indie guy none of the casual fans have heard of debut as a surprise again. It never works and puts them in a bad position to start. Grayson and Uno, Butcher and the Blade just disastrous debuts. They’d have been so much better off with video hype packages before their debuts.

Anyway, I think the only name that moves the needle for me is Brock.

As others have said, Angle coming back for a match or program would be fine (especially since the way the WWE retired him was not cool) but multiple years.

CM Punk, I guess he’d move the needle for some time but it’s been a long time and he looked foolish in the UFC. I personally never got the appeal.

Christian would have been cool 10 years ago. And if they sign him I think AEW is in danger of starting like it exists to serve as a pension plan for aging wrestlers.

I can’t imagine Vince letting someone else sign Brock, so if he showed up I would be legitimately shocked.

The only other shocking signing would be a New Japan guy. I don’t follow it closely enough to know the contract status of anyone but if someone like Okada or Ospreay showed up as a signee, I’d also lose my mind in disbelief at what I was seeing.

Speedball Mike Bailey showing up would be hilarious as long as JR and Tony said to Ex, "Oh so you didn't make that name up after all!"

CM Punk said on Renee's podcast that he'd wrestle again if there was a good storyline reason, in either AEW or WWE - along with the right paycheck. I don't think Colt being there would necessarily stand in the way of that. Plus he's mentioned about five guys there he'd love to work with. It would surprise me if he showed up, but not shock me (although I figured if he ever did sign, it'd be when crowds were back).

• Haha 1

Well Onita doing a promo for AEW makes me think he is running in, jumping both Mox and Omega, pinning one of them all so post match he can spit water on his wounds and in the air, cut a promo in barely intelligible Japanese and then walk off as "Wild Thing" plays.

Oh who am I kidding... I'd watch AEW on regular basis if this friggin happened!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

I wouldn’t put it past this being Paul Wight “B.S.” and hyping himself up with a heel turn at the fan’s expense. 

Again - Tony Kahn himself said it is a "major, major name" so it would beyond just Show hyping himself

6 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Well Onita doing a promo for AEW makes me think he is running in, jumping both Mox and Omega, pinning one of them all so post match he can spit water on his wounds and in the air, cut a promo in barely intelligible Japanese and then walk off as "Wild Thing" plays.

Oh who am I kidding... I'd watch AEW on regular basis if this friggin happened!

James

As much as Mox talked about the Onita entrance from that one New Japan Dome show in his interview with Meltzer and Garrett, I half expect him to do the Wild Thing entrance at Revolution.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Punk just did a twitter Q&A and said "it's 100% not me". When asked who he thinks would be the best addition to AEW, he said he "thinks they should focus on who they have."

I'm not thinking it is going to be Punk, mind you, but it's not like if it actually was him he'd spoil it on Twitter like that. 

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Stop. Signing. Legends.

I wouldn't mind AEW signing Legends if they were relegated to support roles like production or maybe going to ringside as managers.   I've got no desire to see Paul Wight get back into a wrestling ring, but I admit he's got a lot of experience to pass on to new workers.

Of all of the ex / former workers that Khan has on the payroll, the only one I'd love to see come to the ring in his old gimmick is Sick Nick Mondo.   If he comes to ringside with Moxley for the EBW Deathmatch, I'll lose my shit.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Is Cain Velazquez still under WWE contract?

No - he was released last April as part of the purge

That being said right around the time of his release he needed to have a major surgery. I am not sure if he had that done and/or would be recovered yet

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

No - he was released last April as part of the purge

That being said right around the time of his release he needed to have a major surgery. I am not sure if he had that done and/or would be recovered yet

Injuries is what ultimately curtailed Cain's MMA career and stopped him from becoming the most dominant MMA heavyweight of all time. His timeline of injuries the past ten years has been unreal. Jumping into pro wrestling isn't going to change that even if he was extremely careful and was conservative. 

• Like 1

Khan’s hype jobs are hardly reliable (“Tonight will change the balance of power in wrestling forever!). Doesn’t mean anything.

Any of the one time TNA mob (Booker, Angle, RVD, Flair, Foley etc) would be passé at this point. To make an impact it’d need to be a fresh mover (Lesnar, Batista, Orton etc). Would love it to be one of them, but unlikely. Assuming therefore it’ll flop but let’s see.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A_K said:

Khan’s hype jobs are hardly reliable (“Tonight will change the balance of power in wrestling forever!). Doesn’t mean anything.

Any of the one time TNA mob (Booker, Angle, RVD, Flair, Foley etc) would be passé at this point. To make an impact it’d need to be a fresh mover (Lesnar, Batista, Orton etc). Would love it to be one of them, but unlikely. Assuming therefore it’ll flop but let’s see.

Orton signed a contract extension in late 2019 after making a little noise about AEW to get attention and $$$. So he's unfortunately not going anywhere.

Tony Khan on AEW Unrestricted seemed to state that the surprise is a “he” every time the subject came up. 

He is really being vague and that is his job when hyping a surprise.  My concern is that it will be someone in a non-wrestling role.  I can’t see Batista or Lesnar working a program with Omega.  It would be soooo different to what Kenny usually does in his matches.  It would be a spectacle for sure.  Who would they work with after Omega?

Tony K just said  “A huge star is going to show up and sign a multi-year contract” that is wonderfully vague.  Personally I hope Chris Hero is at least one of the surprises.  He wouldn’t move the needle but I don’t really care what people who don’t know him yet think about him.  He will win them over with his talent.

I think the most sensible surprise, according to AEW’s own hype, is -1~!

Actually Kurt Angle. He Makes the most sense within their vague “criteria”.  Dave Meltzer has always been fan #1 on the Angle-train.  The stipulations make more sense when it is Meltzer making grandiose statements.  He has overrated Angle to a mythical level. 

I’m listening to it right now.  I think he just confirmed that Elevation will be one hour.   They all agreed that two hours is the sweet spot as far as wrestling goes.  Tony S emphatically agreed.  I might have seen it somewhere here but if not...at least we know for sure.

Minoru Suzuki moving to AEW full time would work for me. Tons of guys on the AEW roster I'd love to see him fight. He and Mox have history. Definitely Hall of Fame worthy. Probably doesn't count as a huge huge star for American fans, though?

It would be interesting if it was someone from MMA or another sport. I would be pretty excited to see what GSP or Spider Siva could do in the ring, and the are huge stars. 

How about Dr. Wagner Jr?

Trish would be pretty great, but Tony K has been saying "he"

I really really hope it isn't a former WWE guy. Unless it's Foley. Him reffing the death match would be fun. Or Terry Funk!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

He is really being vague and that is his job when hyping a surprise.  My concern is that it will be someone in a non-wrestling role.  I can’t see Batista or Lesnar working a program with Omega.  It would be soooo different to what Kenny usually does in his matches.  It would be a spectacle for sure.  Who would they work with after Omega?

Not gonna happen, but hypothetically booking things you do with Lesnar:

• Priority one is obviously an Omega match. It would be too interesting not to do.
  • Re-match with Moxley. Moxley's always resented that match. Brock cockily laughs it off because he didn't need to sink to Moxley's level to beat him. 
  • A carefully laid-out Wardlow match that puts their young supposed hoss over as on that level.
  • The above maybe in service of an MJF match, with the cocky young prick running afoul of Brock and trying to weasel his way out of a well-earned beating.
  • Maybe a Cody match, because it'd be good so why not?

You could get through a year and a half of sporadic Brock matches with maybe less than that. And who knows where the company is then. 

You obviously don't put the strap on him and let him hold the title scene hostage like they do in that other company. But you can do plenty with an attraction like Brock in this hypothetical fantasy world I'd like to live in. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3