DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/3/2021

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If it wasn't for the sake of ratings, I'm surprised more people don't frontload the show. SNME (especially in the first couple years in 85 and 86 when it was skit and theme heavy) would have all the big stars within the first 35-40 minutes. About the back third of the show would be interviews based on whatever happened in the key matches early on and then end with a two minute Ricky Steamboat vs. Mr. Fuji "KARATE" match or Greg "The Hammer" Valentine squashing Koko B. Ware. You probably would still be interested in the interviews, but you're not exactly missing Macho Man turning babyface or the birth of the Megapowers if you went to bed halfway through.

Damn right. I know for little me it worked for my parents as they'd let me see the big stuff then it was off to bed. I oddly enough never stuck around for "Take me home" to be played but I was quite the happy kid anyway. 

Oh and to your earlier point about Jade I had a pretty good feeling about her and Shaq. I consider it a success all around. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

Most of it has been covered but Shaq match was GOATed. Jade is special. Don't ever stop posing or cutting off your own offense to pose for the hard cam. It's perfect. Red Velvet looked good too, particularly on the Orihara moonsault. I had the most fun with this match and it's gotta be one of the best celebrity matches I can think of. Top tier at least. Then Shaq pulled a Michael Myers. Please finally give us Shaq vs. Da Big Homie.

And then we got Onita, Tully, JJ, Sting hitting another great splash, the US title, the NWA tag titles, Tully, Ryo and Nyla having a good match (Ryo won over the audience immediately), and Tully (in a '70s jump suit). I love AEW.

I enjoyed Big Show throwing in a "no, it's not who you think it is" to preempt the CM Punk fans and Flair's Shadow. 

I know the FMW exploding voltage cage gimmick had the massive explosion, but it sounded like Onita said we'd also get the big timer explosion in this one too, right? I watched the double hell tag with Funk and Pogo vs. Tanaka and Hayaboosie badazz a few months back and I don't recall if that had the big explosion. *checking* Fuck yes it does. Complete with air raid sirens. PLEASE HAVE THE SIRENS. PUHLEASE.

My only concern for Sunday is it may go too long. One of my major complaints of Omega/Moxley I was it didn't have the crowd energy and meandered too much. I hope they've learned their lessons with long shows, but that's a lot of matches they've got lined up and a lot of big ones too. I'm less concerned about this match though because of the stip being impossible to not get into. 

But Shaq tho. I apologize for doubting him but that fucking build killed my initial interest. He even had dope updated Shaqnosis on.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, EVA said:

Of all the weeks for Flair’s Shadow to get banned!

I have a feeling the "Hall of Fame Worthy" announcement will also be the last man in the ladder match.

Jeff Hardy or Christian might make sense, if either are available.

"It's not who you think it is" was probably a reference to Punk, so it's probably not him.

I have been waiting for Foley to show up in AEW, but I don't think it'll be him...

I hope it isn't Kurt Angle...

My prediction? HHH shocks the world by jumping to AEW to get revenge on Cody for the throne destruction! Make it happen, Tony K!

I am El Gran Gordi's Shadow!

Nah, I obviously have no idea. It's a nice feeling, not knowing what's going to happen and waiting to find out.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Infinit said:

So who do we think will be the final entrant for the ladder match??

I say Eddie Kingston. He's got an issue with everyone involved, it would make total sense.

My absolute shot in the dark guesses for The Giant's new signing are Batista, Kurt Angle, or Chris Hero

• Like 2

The Brodie tribute was a genuinely touching little detail. I have no idea what came up with it and honestly don't care, just happy to see it. That table bump... fuuckkkk. No one can say he mailed it in. I thought it was solid. One or two minor clunky exchanges with the women, understandable when someone is legitimately working their first match ever. Did notice Bryce having to tell Shaq to go back to the corner and wait for the right time for the table spot lol. Thumbs up from me. Didn't quite reach Mayweather or McAfee. But Shaq is up there for celebrity matches all time.

Funny other little thing I noticed, Tall Paul came out to what they use as the promo music for Dark. So I'm sure they have Mikey Ruckus working on something for him but it's not ready yet. I have two guess for the "Hall Of Fame Worthy" debut Sunday. Gonna spoil them just in case. Neither is top tier. But both are favorites of the board and would be well liked here:

Spoiler

Mark Henry. Show could have meant Hall of Fame 'worthy' as a synonym for Hall of Fame level because Henry is already in. He did say he wants to work a match this year. And he & Big Show are very close.

Christian. Hall of Fame 'worthy' but not in because of McMahon's hatred of his face lol. The Rumble could have been a one-off that he thought would turn into more but didn't.

Do not expect Cena. Do not expect The Rock. Do not expect CM Punk. Just trying to temper everyone's expectations lol.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Like I suggested in last week’s thread, Ethan Page is in the wind.  If I was a betting man, I’d lay money on him.

Of course, if Cody’s shoulder is fucked and he was just getting through the Shaq match, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets pulled or taken out by someone the nigh of, so he doesn’t have to do a damn ladder match already hurt.  There might be two spots left.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

Given that it is a ladder match that they are debuting in, I think they go "forbidden door" again and it is a new Japan guy like Will Ospreay

That would be awesome but I think the New Japan Cup rules out any big singles stars coming through the Forbidden Door this month.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Someone else here made a guess that I'm almost certain fits in this spot. My guess is:

Spoiler

Ethan Page. Done with Impact. WWE said no (as far as we know). Cody worked for his indy company before and is always very complimentary of Page on the socials.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Jade is special. Don't ever stop posing or cutting off your own offense to pose for the hard cam. It's perfect.

It's so amusing I want them to put the belt on her next week.

9 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I hope it isn't Kurt Angle...

Surely he comes in eventually so they can come as close as possible to completing the Conrad collection without bringing in Bruce. 

• Haha 2

Also, Marty "the Moth" Martinez is training at the Nightmare Factory right now. He had a nice following going on Lucha Underground before he shredded his neck/back. He'd be a sneaky fun choice for that ladder match.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Who is Ethan Page, and how would they get away with passing him off as "Hall of Fame worthy"?

As of now, the HoF worthy signee and last ladder match entrant are theoretically not the same person.

2 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Who is Ethan Page, and how would they get away with passing him off as "Hall of Fame worthy"?

Last guy in the ladder match and the debuting Hall of Famer are not necessarily the same person.

Ethan Page is a former Impact tag champ as part of The North.  Hot free agent.

I fucking love this show. I was wrong about the Shaq match. That shit was fun and I got a little teary eyed for the Brodie tribute while pumping my fists.

I have no idea who the surprise signing is, but I'm hoping that it's not just another legend who is old and winds up being another manager or glorified manager.

MOTHERFUCKING ONITA

Ryo fucking rules.

Page and the Dark Order match up so well.

I mean, every week it's the same thing. This week is no different. It just is always really funny and good each week.

• Like 4