DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Almighty - 3/1/2021

Dolfan in NYC

23 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

i think they need to have Roman and Lashley both go over. 

if they have Sasha/Bianca main event Night 1 Sasha can put over Bianca as a WM moment and Lashley/Drew can be like the co-main event. 

Then Roman can retain on Night 2 even though I know Vince..  he doesn't typically want to send the crowd home "sad" but there's two nights. 

I'm certain those are the two main events of WrestleMania, right two as well. Guessing it's Lashley vs. McIntyre for the WWE Championship and WWE RAW Women's Championship match will be Asuka vs. Charlotte. Bayley deserves something worthwhile after her 2020, how about her vs. Io Shirai for the NXT Women's Championship? Sasha Banks vs. Bayley was always my first choice for WrestleMania, then Banks vs. Belair.

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Bayley deserves something worthwhile after her 2020, how about her vs. Io Shirai for the NXT Women's Championship?

She does and that would be a great match i don't think NXT is running a PPV that week.  They could also do a multi woman match for a future title shot. 

• Like 1

Ok, so people will hate me for putting this out in the universe, but what if the WM challenger for Lashley somehow ends up being Brock and it's two germans, F-5 and a pin? That would be a trollolol moment, no? But WWE, this was just a joke! Nobody wants that, OK?

7 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I mean, Ken Patera is probably the best wrestler ever to use the Full Nelson as a finisher, so I’ve got no problem vindicating him.

Oooo, I'm sorry, the correct DVDVR answer is Chris Masters. No soup for you! 

It goes to show how interesting Raw is that I completely missed the match as well, and even deleted the DVR, until I was reminded on the Discord and went back to watch it. Miz's head turned Shane O Mac red, it was glorious. Ryan said on there that Bobby should have dragon suplexed him over the ropes onto the lumberjacks; I think the dragon suplex would actually be a good super finisher for him. 

The only other thing I remember from the show was Sheamus and Drew beating the crap out of each other, so there's that too I guess.

22 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Ok, so people will hate me for putting this out in the universe, but what if the WM challenger for Lashley somehow ends up being Brock and it's two germans, F-5 and a pin? That would be a trollolol moment, no? But WWE, this was just a joke! Nobody wants that, OK?

I so want to be dramatic and go "TAKE IT BACK!"  But the jaded fool in me thinks that's on the mind of some old racist fuck anyway.

So instead I'll just brush that to the side and watch the episode.  I don't normally watch Raw matches in full but if Drew/Sheamus is that good then I'll have to check it out.

If they do what they actually should do then Lashley and Roman will both leave Wrestlemania as champs. The Bad Bunny talk actually makes me think Priest wouldn't be a bad defense/feud for Bobby post-Wrestlemania.

I'm mostly curious who gets the actual final match spot for the Wrestlemania nights. Roman/Edge feels like a given for one. Drew/Lashley could be it for the other, but they also have a nice chance to make history with Sasha/Bianca main eventing a night instead.

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, I'm sure Vince had to be talked out of doing a January 6 angle with them. ? 

See, I almost threw out the idea of a group of undefined fanatics fighting Retribution for further undefined reasons but Vince has no idea on how to book that kind of shit. We'd get SLAPJACK~ being buried by Lars Sullivan in a surprise return.

When was the last time a Raw thread hit 4 pages in less than a day? I have a feeling they get a better than normal number. The combination of a close to sure thing title change, mixed with them stringing along the bait & switches all night. They did the right thing and I think everyone universally agrees on that. I did tune in live for the main event which is something I haven't done in awhile. I too am jaded, because I was sure they were gonna have Braun interrupt and string out Lashley's win until Fastlane. Pleasantly surprised.

My main take away from the main event (besides being happy the best act on the show finally has the top title) is that... this is the worst Raw roster in the history of the brand split. That dawned on me when such a weak ass crew of lumberjacks came out. They held 4 of the top 5 (Drew, Sheamus, Orton, Fiend). Retribution, Lucha House Party, Elias / Ryker, Braun, Jeff Hardy, Matt Riddle, Humberto, & John Morrision? That's the nucleus of your roster? Fucking YIKES. Weak as fuck.

Also, two nerdy world title history revelations with Lashley's title win...

1. Bobby Lashley is the first African American pro wrestler to hold three different world titles. (For the purpose of this list 'World Title' means the top title of a national wrestling brand). There's a legitimate argument for him being one of the most successful African American pro wrestlers of all time.

2. The WWE Championship is now tied with the WCW World Title for having the most African American champions at 3.

WWE Championship (3): The Rock | Kofi Kingston | Bobby Lashley
WCW World Title (3): Ron Simmons | Booker T | The Rock
WWE World Heavyweight Title (2): Booker T | Mark Henry
ECW World Title (2): Bobby Lashley | Ezekial Jackson
Impact World Title (2): Bobby Lashley | Rich Swann
NXT World Title (2): Big E | Keith Lee
IWGP Heavyweight Title (1): Bob Sapp
ROH World Title (1): Jay Lethal
NWA World Title (1): R-Truth
WWE Universal Title (0):
AEW World Title (0):
AWA World Title (0):

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
Forgot Keith Lee & Jay Lethal

33 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

My main take away from the main event (besides being happy the best act on the show finally has the top title) is that... this is the worst Raw roster in the history of the brand split. That dawned on me when such a weak ass crew of lumberjacks came out. They held 4 of the top 5 (Drew, Sheamus, Orton, Fiend). Retribution, Lucha House Party, Elias / Ryker, Braun, Jeff Hardy, Matt Riddle, Humberto, & John Morrision? That's the nucleus of your roster? Fucking YIKES. Weak as fuck.

They also have AJ, Kofi, Woods, and Keith Lee in the mix. But your broader point is true, it's a pretty dire roster which doesn't seem to have a great deal of sizzle at the moment. 

• Like 2

There's an argument to be made that once a title reaches "World" status, it never really loses it.

Also, depending on how you count "World" titles, we can add:

USWA Unified World Title (5): Godfather | Kamala | Koko B Ware | JYD | Butch Reed | Reggie B. Fine

World Class (1): Iceman King Parsons

That said, I could make a WAAAAAAAY better argument for the USWA belt (due to it being the Continential Belts unified with the AWA Title) than the WCWA Title (because Fritz just up and declared the NWA American Title was now the World Title when it was his turn to have a tiff with the Board)

For the purpose of my list, I wouldn't count either of those titles. Wouldn't count Global Wrestling Federation who technically had a national TV deal through ESPN either. Have to be a national promotion that had TV available everywhere at one point, and ran events in more than just one local territory or area. Not just localized to one region with tv only airing in that region. So two qualifiers. Also just naming your title "world title" isn't the same thing. USWA was essentially just a Tennessee indy / territory. WCCW had national TV (like GWF) but they never ran events outside of their localized area / territory.

It's know it's all arbitrary, but that's how I'm defining it.

18 minutes ago, Matt D said:

USWA's Universal title was basically the combined Memphis, AWA, and World Class titles*, but it also changed hands as often than the 24/7 belt, so at some point something has to give.

Right.

I don't consider Memphis or World Class national brands for the reasons I described above. I do count the AWA as a national brand. But them merging their title didn't last long and basically amounted to just an angle / story line. They pulled out of the merger and farted around with it on Zybysco forever.

ECW was a national brand, even when revived in WWE. So for the purpose of my list, regardless if they used "World" or "Heavyweight" for the title's name, it's still a world title (the top title of a national brand). I know these are all just arbitrary distinctions lol. But trying to explain my logic none the less.

Raw ratings were down slightly for the first two hours but UP from last week for the last hour.

H1: 1,916

H2: 1,918

H3: 1,817

Still number 1, 2, 3 in ranked hours and good Demos.

8 hours ago, hammerva said:

by the way can we at least celebrate Lashley winning for one day before people already have him against Brock Lesnar and probably losing in about 3 minutes

No way.

I want Lesnar v Lashley to be like Steiner v Goldberg or Lesnar v Reigns.

Just two massive dude throwing bombs at each other.

Lashley goes over because he has MVP and Lesnar doesn't have Heyman any more.

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I wish things were a lot different because I would love to see The Hurt Business against The Wyatts or The Shield.

Hurt Business against a reformed New Day at some point would also be super fun. 

We need either MVP winning the US title OR him signing Ricochet and sending him to go get it.

Imagine MVP cutting a promo about how Ricochet used to be a prince and now he's just a punchline. Tweener turn (Hurt Business are not heels) and put the mask on for Ricochet. Move merch, develop character, build this stable into a huge force for someone (New Day + Friends?) to try and overcome.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They could also do a multi woman match for a future title shot. 

He specifically said worthwhile

What’s the Mick Foley line? “If that’s the best you’ve got for me for Wrestlemania I’d rather not be part of Wrestlemaina”

• Like 1

When most everyone else was feeling a certain type of way when Miz won the title. I was fine with him being Champ. I give WWE credit for the angle making sense, The whole build at Elimination Chamber, the way Hurt Business is used makes sense. When Lashley came back I thought they should've made him heel. After watching his TNA I thought they weren't using him correctly having him as the soft spoken babyface. It's the same thing they done with Apollo up until last week.