DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Almighty - 3/1/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I almost forgot it was wrestlemania season until Charlotte came out to bury the entire women’s division. Great. Shoehorn Charlotte to the rescue.

the Lashley shit was dope, though.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

9 PM came, and Miz ducked it. I got pissed. 10 PM came, Miz ran out of the ring, I got even more pissed. It started feeling like Vince and the rest of creative was going to fuck this up. 10:54 PM came and then I started feeling like it was going to happen. 3 minutes later and Lashley is champion.

I read about the 9pm part and saw the 10pm segment.  I had the ending of the show on prepared for fuckery and disappointment.  For all I know Braun was out there and he could have stepped in or they could have reversed the decision somehow.  But I was prepared for whatever happened.  What I wasn't prepared for was them getting it right and Bobby winning.  Prepared for bed I sat right up but couldn't fully relax until the show faded to black.

Then I come on here and see the responses at the time and it hit me.  No matter how jaded we can be we all bit on what they were presenting.  For as much as Raw can and does suck when they actually care they can still produce something special.  Which makes it all the more frustrating because if they cared like they did for this then it's not hard to turn things around.  But all that matters is they got this right and it was excellent.

Also wanted to credit Miz for doing a helluva job in trying to weasel his way out of the match.  I like the guy and even I wanted him to see his ass get handed to him.

• Like 3

Don't worry everyone, Goldberg will be back soon enough to take the strap. For real though, I look very much forward to a legit McIntyre/Lashley HOSS FIGHT~ at Wrestlemania. Gonna be a lot of BEEF out there.

This could have been said months ago, but boy is Retribution a joke. Why would an anti-authority group agree to be lumberjacks? Merely saying "Slapjack" out loud still makes me laugh every time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I mean, Ken Patera is probably the best wrestler ever to use the Full Nelson as a finisher, so I’ve got no problem vindicating him.

McDonald's will probably disagree, but I stand corrected, then. Ken Patera shall be vindicated, due to a Full Nelson winning a match for the World Title in 2021. So it shall be written, so it shall be done. Thank you.

• Like 1

I have stayed away from the WWE because reasons. But I did catch up on this. When I saw Miz was going all chickenshit heel, I thought they were going to try and do a redo of a few recent Mania chases where the face keeps getting the legs pulled out from him before getting the big win at Mania. 

I am glad they did not do that because Lashley is way better as just an overwhelming force. And the whole thing with The Hurt Business engineering it so Miz won the title makes them look like really cunning strategists — a really great cool heel stable. (If they are heels, since I have no idea, but they are cool as hell.)

Doing it that way also sets up a great Unconquerable Beasts match with Drew if they go that route. I personally think Drew is a snooze but that would be a really great match between two badasses. The last time they had something similar feels like Wyatts Vs. Shield. Unless another returning dude is coming back I have no recollection of. 

Breaking it into this type of pattern also makes The Yes Movement and Kofimania (maybe my favorite arc ever) so much more special. And it gives Edge the possible Miracle Win story against Reigns.

Also: Let’s also give a major round of applause to The Miz. He put over a dude clean via a full Nelson. He played a fantastic sniveling coward the whole evening yet still looked like an opportunist with a cheap shot with the belt to start the match. Miz really did a fantastic job.

He is clearly a Hall of Fame guy. Who the hell would have thought that when he made his debut? But he has gotten more guys over than anyone in memory, delivers his material well even when the material sucks, and can fill any spot on the card — main event heel, tag worker in the undercard, comedy stuff. The one thing he has never done is had a big face run, but it is pretty easy to see that happening at some point of his career if he has a heel as good as he is to ever work with.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

Better late than never? It's a little frustrating because time and time again we see they can do the right thing but are unwilling. 

They have a month or so to look at ratings and decide if they want to put aside the Drew experiment or not. It feels like it'll be one of those "Day of Wrestlemania" decisions.

1 hour ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

Don't worry everyone, Goldberg will be back soon enough to take the strap. For real though, I look very much forward to a legit McIntyre/Lashley HOSS FIGHT~ at Wrestlemania. Gonna be a lot of BEEF out there.

Drew/Bobby poses the absolute risk of cutting the legs out from under Lashley though, since I'm guessing Drew would go over. (I cannot see senior citizen Edge dethroning the absolute best thing they have in I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS Roman.)  The match should be great.  

Also, the only wildcards I'd think are Brock and/or Goldberg. And frankly, I'd only book those two if they agree to put over Lashley. 

This could have been said months ago, but boy is Retribution a joke. Why would an anti-authority group agree to be lumberjacks? Merely saying "Slapjack" out loud still makes me laugh every time.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The faster you get Dijakovic and Yim the hell away from those other goofs, the better.  Also, I'm sure Vince had to be talked out of doing a January 6 angle with them. ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Lashley / Drew can headline the show because there’s legit intrigue in who will win, as opposed to Roman / Edge. Only thing is, a loss really hurts either guy- do they consider adding a third guy like Brock?

They should add Miz just to keep the match from being a stupid All Finishers Only modern WWE main event style bullshit. A mediocre three way is still endlessly better than masturbatory video game finisher spam (plus Bad Bunny can help him take the fall; it may not be for us, but they're far better served by having Bad Bunny all over the place in the main event at the same time they're pushing Lashley hard, just to get as many eyes as possible, who might have Peacock anyway, on this, and let people know it's not the same BS as before).

Edited by Matt D

Well I'm sure it's far better to be on the same screen at WM as Bad Bunny considering who he was associated with at a past WM.  But I would keep it one-on-one and while I like Drew a lot I feel Bobby should retain.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I'm sure Lashley and Drew could have a great hoss fight. I doubt they'll be allowed to because of the way the WWE Superheavyweight "good parts only" Main Event style has devolved in the last five years. It's not their fault. It's the agenting and the view from the top. Tossing a Miz in there to add contrast could only make it better, just like tossing Rollins into Cena vs Brock made that match better (and you know I'm no Rollins fan). Hell, they could have them recreate Hogan vs Warrior move for move and it'd be better.

I thought a lot about the risk of going with Drew vs Bobby as well, but I could see Bobby retaining. The Hurt Business is still in this weird gray area. If Lashley retains vs Drew, it's not like Drew is going to be hurt by it. At the same time, do you really go with Lashley and Roman both retaining?

I have ZERO interest in ever seeing Goldberg in the ring again. He's old and sucks. Know when to say no, brother.

Lashley has wanted the Lesnar match for what feels like forever now, but I can't see Lesnar coming back to do a job to Lashley. Plus, that match would probably be the drizzling shits.

You may as well play the hot hand and go with Drew vs Lashley then. They've had good matches against each other before. Just let those two beat the shit out of each other like Drew and Sheamus just beat the shit out of each other. No matter what, Lashley needs to keep the belt.

Which goes right back to the issue of having Roman and Lashley both retaining. I simply can't see or buy Edge beating Roman. I could see a scenario where Edge hangs in there for awhile and doesn't die, giving him a Rocky Balboa like ending, but there's no way he should beat Roman.

And adding Miz to Lashley vs Drew is beyond dumb.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm sure Lashley and Drew could have a great hoss fight. I doubt they'll be allowed to because of the way the WWE Superheavyweight "good parts only" Main Event style has devolved in the last five years. It's not their fault. It's the agenting and the view from the top. Tossing a Miz in there to add contrast could only make it better, just like tossing Rollins into Cena vs Brock made that match better (and you know I'm no Rollins fan). Hell, they could have them recreate Hogan vs Warrior move for move and it'd be better.

Are attention spans this short? Drew and Sheamus just tore the house down last night by having a great hoss fight. So why would Drew and Sheamus be allowed to destroy each other, but not Drew and Lashley?

I think it is fair to be concerned about a Lashley-McIntrye match getting ruined by bad booking. It happened last year with their title match. It's WWE, their track record is bad. Everyone here is relieved Bobby even beat Miz.

If they could get Brock to lose to Lashley then I'd save Drew challenging Lashley until SummerSlam. But then again, it's WWE, I doubt they can keep McIntrye on the back burner. Might as well just run it now.

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Are attention spans this short? Drew and Sheamus just tore the house down last night by having a great hoss fight. So why would Drew and Sheamus be allowed to destroy each other, but not Drew and Lashley?

They don’t run the finisher spam matches on Raw, just on PPV, and especially at Mania?

i think they need to have Roman and Lashley both go over. 

if they have Sasha/Bianca main event Night 1 Sasha can put over Bianca as a WM moment and Lashley/Drew can be like the co-main event. 

Then Roman can retain on Night 2 even though I know Vince..  he doesn't typically want to send the crowd home "sad" but there's two nights. 

• Like 2