DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2021

Casey

ECW being BEFORE WCW that late is amusing.

Tony Khan could always say that the program is a paid advertisement just like his Impact appearances.

You know Moxley and Renee will be on that show, how can they not. It could even be a star of the week thing with the Bucks showing up, Shaq, Snoop Dogg, whatever. That is exactly how insufferable it will be. 

6 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

My word, most of the last page of this thread was both confusing and horrifying. What's WAGS? Why is anyone thinking about a reality show with excitement? Make it make sense.

Seriously.  Reality shows are probably more worked than wrestling.

If they split up, they could rename the show End of the Rhodes.  TNT or TK could throw Boyz II Men some of that licensing money.

21 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

My word, most of the last page of this thread was both confusing and horrifying. What's WAGS? Why is anyone thinking about a reality show with excitement? Make it make sense.

Counter to this, I'm confused how anyone could not be excited about this development.

I hope the next AEW program on TNT is The NewlyRhodes Game, hosted by Brandi. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Your trolling is going too far. It's as if the show has manifested itself out of our deepest fears. ? We should've thought of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. 

I'm sure i've said it before but the most frustrating shit with Cody's lack of self-awareness and massive ego is just how good at wrestling he can be. He's had two of the best matches in AEW history (Dustin & Darby) and two of the best built feuds (MJF & Jericho), even if the blow off matches did not live up to the hype.

Edited by Jiji
  • Haha 1

I don't know if it's so much an indictment of the PC as it is a reminder that not everyone can thrive as a WWE, cookie-cutter CAW. Some people work better doing their own thing and not trying to be what someone else tells you to be.

As good as Conti's gotten at the actual wrestling part, what blew me away first was how she seemed to develop a personality out of nowhere. She was total milquetoast in NXT, now she's got some of the best fire and facial expressions in AEW's women's division. Okay, that's one the PC should be embarrassed about.

Edited by Dog

“A few weeks ago, I played it for him, he said he loved it. I asked if he wanted to me to try to license it, he gave me his ‘thumbs up,’” AEW CEO Tony Khan said in a statement to Pitchfork. “I signed a multiyear agreement to use the song, and every use of the song in AEW will live in our content library forever in perpetuity.” 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For anyone not clicking on the article:

Khan says that he tried for “about half a year” to license Jefferson Starship’s “Jane” for Orange Cassidy (because of the wrestler’s affiliation with the song on the independent wrestling scene), but never received a “formal response or any indication that they were interested.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Your AEW Dark thoughts...

- Evil Uno, Stu Grayson & Colt Cabana vs. Carlie Bravo, Brick Aldridge & Dean Alexander

I was watching his and thinking just how much the post-Brodie Dark Order era has significantly lowered the importance of Uno and Stu. They were once the top team in the Dark Order and reasonable challengers to the tag team titles. They are now seriously irrelevant to the tag team title scene and to the show in general. They are now a side show when they could have used the Dark Order as a significant force. AEW just doesn't seem interested.

- Adam Priest, Jake St. Patrick & Baron Black vs. Gunn Club

It looked as though Colton rung his own bell in with the dunk splash. I low key enjoy the Aubrey-Billy Gunn dynamic but man, is there a reason The Gunn Club is on the roster when they have nothing for them to do other than stand in the crowd during Dynamite? There is no reason they should have such a crazy Win-Loss record and yet never move even into Dark main events.

- Angel Fashion & D3 vs. Nick Comoroto & Aaron Solow

I now actively hate the Nightmare Family as it makes no sense and sucks and boo! They need to define their terms. Is it a training camp? A faction? If they are a faction, what is it trying to do? Why do they never back each other up? 

- Jazmin Allure vs. The Bunny

Bunny looked good here. If she used the time off not working to improve, bless her. It actually points to something going right if we can point to marked improvement in the advancement of three different female talents in Baker, Conti and Bunny. Bunny looked to make similar improvements to the others, laying it in and upping the violence of their execution.

- Brian Cage vs. Brandon Cutler

So I paid very little attention to this. It's funny that the one thing I picked up was Hook selling the dissension between Team Taz by being less into Cage's victory. I've put over his positive interactions with Hobbs and Starks in the past and this works the same way. Kudos to Hook.

- Chaos Project vs. John Silver & Alex Reynolds

Good outing for Reynolds who I am coming around on as a mechanic. I would like him to get a bit more of a hook to his presentation but I stand by my earlier Christian comparison for a guy who doesn't have an outstanding physical skill but can still work smart matches. The Chaos Project psychology of Luther throwing Serpentico at people has gotten long in the tooth already. Luther is a step slow consistently.

- Jack Evans vs. Dante Martin

Doing a Canadian Destroyer on the floor during a nothing match on Dark is dumb. Martin needs more of a hook than athletic guy as they have so many of those.

- Jorel Nelson & Royce Isaacs vs. SCU

I want to advocate for one of these nothing matches to end with an upset to break up SCU just for the shock value. Because I don't care about SCU and I think doing it as a shocking moment could elevate someone we aren't expecting other than them ultimately losing to the Bucks or something.

- Vary Morales & Seth Gargis vs. Sonny Kiss & Joey Janela

Kiss and Jenela are another team they have nothing for and could just cut them from the roster and it would be an addition from subtraction. Janela was awful as is his norm.

• Like 2

Thank you for the recap.  I didn't mean to but I skipped Dark after seeing the matchups.  Unfortunately with Elevation plus other stuff that we're watching it's going to take something intriguing for me to see a lot of Dark anymore.  But hey, as long as talent's working and getting paid then good for them.  If anything I might check out Cage/Cutler and also see how Bunny has improved.

Dante Martin has more of a hook than athletic guy. He has MOST Athletic guy. And also youngest guy. He's younger than Hook Tazson, even.

Just now, Goodear said:

Rey Fenix has most athletic guy wrapped up in a bow and in his closet ready for Christmas.

I wonder how Rey's leapfrog is compared to Dante's.  Because in that one match I think he was aiming to be higher than RVD and Snoop put together.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

For anyone not clicking on the article:

For Jefferson Starship to ignore things when a billionaire is trying to throw them a bone is like the most Starship thing ever. What a bunch of absolute tools. To think that abortion of a group has its roots in Jefferson Airplane boggles the mind. Take that city that you babble about in that awful song and put it where the sun don't shine. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

For Jefferson Starship to ignore things when a billionaire is trying to throw them a bone is like the most Starship thing ever. What a bunch of absolute tools. To think that abortion of a group has its roots in Jefferson Airplane boggles the mind. Take that city that you babble about in that awful song and put it where the sun don't shine. 

Freedom At Point Zero is a great album.