DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2021

Casey

On 3/16/2021 at 1:42 AM, Eivion said:

If I recall correctly she basically felt the Japanese scene abandoned her when she was arrested while the Mexican scene tried to support her.

I had to look up why she was imprisoned and apparently it was for meth. Meth (and all drugs really, though 'shabu' is very popular) having the stigma they do in Japan I'm not surprised. 

EDIT: Hey has any other wrestler done a gimmick where they had a steel plate in their head? That seems like such a clear winner there. I believe there's been steel plates in arms? But a head would be really cool. You could go beyond Fujiwara with it and just knock people out for a finish. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

9 hours ago, Kev said:

All this stuff about Itoh’s background is interesting and, if she is gonna have a longer run, it’s exactly the type of stuff they should do video packages on to bring the audience up to speed on.

It links to the discussion about larger-than-life vs. relatability in the main monthly thread. She’s been introduced as this larger-than-life but slightly one dimensional wacky character, if you add that backstory of overcoming past failures and being on this sort of redemption arc then it fleshes out her character and could make her more relatable to a wider audience.

Larger than life =/= too silly for life. 

49 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Larger than life =/= too silly for life. 

Sorry, not sure whether I’m misunderstanding your point or my point has been a bit lost as I was cross referencing another thread. I’m not suggesting a larger than life character doesn’t work (wrestling is full of examples proving otherwise), but there was a point in the other thread about larger-than-life characters still working better when they’re linked to a relatable narrative or relatable characteristics.

In the couple of appearances I’ve seen, I think Itoh’s character works in a vacuum, but seems to be a slightly one dimensional wacky character. If you flesh that out with more on her interesting backstory and even the stuff about her hard head (seems to be a couple of different explanations in the thread but either works depending on which way they want to take her character) then you’ve got a much more compelling character which helps when trying to get her over to a wider audience.

It goes back to probably my main criticism of AEW, which is bringing in guys relatively cold and relying on the audiences existing knowledge of them as indie/international stars (which in some cases is only gonna be a small portion of the audience).

Your points about this company's shortcomings in terms of characterization are valid. I'm just scoffing at the suggestion she was introduced as a "larger-than-life" character. She's an intentionally-annoying, attention-seeking outlandish goof on the fringes of showbusiness. Far from larger-than-life, it's pretty much the mindset of the people who are the foundation of this company. The largest-than-life thing about her is she's Good At Twitter. 

• Like 1

Has it been brought up here that Tyson's next fight could potentially land on 5/29, the day before Double or Nothing? I bring that up because it appears they dodged a bullet by moving to Sunday.

With that said, May and June could be super loaded and make people think long and hard about their PPV purchase options. We have Canelo vs. Billy Joe Saunders (will be on both DAZN and PPV most likely) on 5/8, UFC 262 with three titles fights on 5/15, Tyson on 5/29, Double or Nothing on 5/30, and potentially Teofimo Lopez vs. George Kambosos Jr. (which isn't a big fight per se but it could be supported underneath and be bolstered by Logan Paul) in early June. Joshua vs. Fury could also land in June on PPV through ESPN PPV.

That's extremely tough sledding to be in the middle of that. Hopefully, they have something outlined where there are some marquee matches by the time we get to May.

Elsewhere on the interwebs, someone suggested that after Andrade (likely) ends up in AEW then Charlotte/Ric Flair follow him at the same time. I'm very on board with this idea that'll never happen, but let's say Ric shows up. I'd love to see the Four Horsemen be the Jedi Council of AEW authority and be in charge of making matches, compromising on booking of their favored workers in stipulations/belt defenses, etc.

We've had, at most, an executive figure and an underling with similar authority in wrestling, on a known scale, on TV, in the US, before anyone points out some random ass promotion did this once, but a panel? Heck, I'd be fine with a simple triumvirate of AA.Tully, and JJ. (checks Google) JJ is 78. Nevermind his participation. Either way, why not create a sort of psuedo-NWA-of-old committee that we sometimes see debating the virtues of their chosen people? It'd involve older people always who know how to talk and put people over.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't want Tony Khan on TV as a thing because it's gonna goddamn happen sooner than you think. (another Google check) Oh shit, he's a year older than me. I can't take fifteen years of SuperShane-esque shit if it happens. GIVE ME MY LEGENDS COUNCIL

giphy.gif

Even Ric's best friends (and son-in-law and Flair himself) will tell you Ric Flair cannot book anyone who isn't himself and he doesn't have the interest to do so. And if you mean just as some storyline, authority figure bullshit.....they don't have enough TV time to make that work. I think a one off as sort of a tribute is fine, but every week? No. They have too many talented wrestlers (and the count is only growing) to make it the old people show.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Has it been brought up here that Tyson's next fight could potentially land on 5/29, the day before Double or Nothing? I bring that up because it appears they dodged a bullet by moving to Sunday.

With that said, May and June could be super loaded and make people think long and hard about their PPV purchase options. We have Canelo vs. Billy Joe Saunders (will be on both DAZN and PPV most likely) on 5/8, UFC 262 with three titles fights on 5/15, Tyson on 5/29, Double or Nothing on 5/30, and potentially Teofimo Lopez vs. George Kambosos Jr. (which isn't a big fight per se but it could be supported underneath and be bolstered by Logan Paul) in early June. Joshua vs. Fury could also land in June on PPV through ESPN PPV.

That's extremely tough sledding to be in the middle of that. Hopefully, they have something outlined where there are some marquee matches by the time we get to May.

Honest question, because I've always pondered this: how much overlap is there between MMA and wrestling? I remember when a lot of MMA coverage started bleeding into websites here and there and people on messageboards came to take a shine towards it but I've never once really thought of them as overlapping interests. Anyone I know who's into MMA, especially when I was in the Army, thought of wrestling as a joke from their younger years and liked it, past tense. Wrestling fans I know are into it sometimes at best. This could be a wrestling mark living in their own bubble and most likely is but no form of MMA has ever grabbed me. Not even pro wrestlers going into the sport made me want to watch, despite the high level of success some have obtained. 

I guess I look at MMA marks as largely Joe Rogan types (the stupid person's thinking man~) who don't give a fuck about wrestling and see it as an athletic gag. They aren't cross-shopping with AEW or WWE. Now then, forcing the actual PPV companies with making choices is a different matter. I have no idea what numbers UFC and other promotions do but I'd imagine they beat AEW and WWE by a healthy margin. Sadly, we can't think of boxing this way anymore unless it's some crossover or celebrity freakshow.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Even Ric's best friends (and son-in-law and Flair himself) will tell you Ric Flair cannot book anyone who isn't himself and he doesn't have the interest to do so. And if you mean just as some storyline, authority figure bullshit.....they don't have enough TV time to make that work. I think a one off as sort of a tribute is fine, but every week? No. They have too many talented wrestlers (and the count is only growing) to make it the old people show.

I saw it not as an every week thing, but as a way to pop in once a month at most and resolve some shit that doesn't seem to have a way to resolve itself. Maybe an arbitrary panel more than authority figures, how's that? They wouldn't even be restricted to the main event shit because that would get old, it could be a way to get heated undercard feuds over mostly. It's Friday night and I'm blue skying right now, dammit!

1 minute ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

Honest question, because I've always pondered this: how much overlap is there between MMA and wrestling? I remember when a lot of MMA coverage started bleeding into websites here and there and people on messageboards came to take a shine towards it but I've never once really thought of them as overlapping interests. Anyone I know who's into MMA, especially when I was in the Army, thought of wrestling as a joke from their younger years and liked it, past tense. Wrestling fans I know are into it sometimes at best. This could be a wrestling mark living in their own bubble and most likely is but no form of MMA has ever grabbed me. Not even pro wrestlers going into the sport made me want to watch, despite the high level of success some have obtained. 

I guess I look at MMA marks as largely Joe Rogan types (the stupid person's thinking man~) who don't give a fuck about wrestling and see it as an athletic gag. They aren't cross-shopping with AEW or WWE. Now then, forcing the actual PPV companies with making choices is a different matter. I have no idea what numbers UFC and other promotions do but I'd imagine they beat AEW and WWE by a healthy margin. Sadly, we can't think of boxing this way anymore unless it's some crossover or celebrity freakshow.

There is some crossover but I bring up these events because everyone of these has casual appeal. Canelo is a big star and it's on Cinco De Mayo weekend. And it can be purchased on traditional PPV now that he isn't DAZN exclusive. UFC 262 is going to have three title fights, and the last show with three title fights just did 600,000 PPV buys domestically (granted it was with Amanda Nunes who has finally become a star and a budding star in Israel Adesanya). However, it's going to be one of the first shows back with a full audience in attendance. Tyson's PPV with Roy Jones did huge business. Some of that also could be just curiosity. I still expect it to do good business. Teofimo Lopez vs. Kambosos is a one sided fight with only one guy being somewhat known. Teofimo Lopez's last fight did a really good number on ESPN. Prior to that, he had two fights that aired directly after the Heisman Trophy ceremony (in both 2018 and 2019). I think the former is directly related to the latter so he's a star now. That can be amplified if he has one of the Paul brothers fight in the prelims. Joshua vs. Fury is going to be huge. That said, I think Arum or Eddie Hearn might wait till July to do it. It could still be in June though.

I think AEW can get their 90k-100k on PPV with just a good card. However, I feel like even off a strange and weird ending for the last PPV, they can build up enough momentum to do a strong number for Double or Nothing. It's just that they're going to be fighting for a casual audience that has so many alluring options during a 5-6 week stretch.

• Like 1

I kinda dig the idea of a Legends Council used sparingly, I liked how WCW  had a mythical "championship committee" that Lee Marshall would talk about as a plot device. I actually wish AEW would make more use of Rankings and Win loss records for guys trying to earn title shots instead of cold matches (or matches set up over silly feuds like WWE does)  

• Like 3

On 3/11/2021 at 11:10 AM, Infinit said:

It looks like MLW did the same this to Girl On Cinema. So I guess it's not all Tony Khan's fault?

EDIT. HOLY FUCK. I just pulled up a Girl on Cinema YouTube clip and HER VOICE IS LIKE NAILS ON A CHALKBOARD. Seriously. How could anyone want to listen to more than 30 seconds of her? My godddamn ears are bleeding lol

She also isn't very knowledgable when it comes to film. Don't know about her wrestling videos but someone in a film group mentioned her and I watched a bit of her stuff and left with the impression that a lot of her fandom comes from lonely guys, if you catch my drift. 

• Like 1

So I'm watching the Dynamite from September 30th of 2020, and FTR are doing a promo before their title defence against SCU. And Cash only says "We are the Pinnacle" during it. Long term storytelling, anyone?

• Like 2

Nah. Fun coincedence though!

7 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

She also isn't very knowledgable when it comes to film. Don't know about her wrestling videos but someone in a film group mentioned her and I watched a bit of her stuff and left with the impression that a lot of her fandom comes from lonely guys, if you catch my drift. 

Ever since someone mentioned her a week ago or whatever I've been listening (since her videos got murked to mere audio) to the takes as they happen and they're not terrible. I am indeed a lonely guy because of the pandemic but I listen because I want to hear how a fan in their early 20s (I'm guessing anyway) thinks about wrestling. Also, while I'm sure they exist I don't know of any other women's perspectives on YouTube. It feels like any time I've seen a woman brought on any channel as a contributor they vanish within a month or two tops to the point where I can even predict it before it happens. Some were better than others, just like men, but the men would always remain.

11 hours ago, zendragon said:

I kinda dig the idea of a Legends Council used sparingly, I liked how WCW  had a mythical "championship committee" that Lee Marshall would talk about as a plot device. I actually wish AEW would make more use of Rankings and Win loss records for guys trying to earn title shots instead of cold matches (or matches set up over silly feuds like WWE does)  

I forgot about this! Shit, here I thought I had a new idea. Goddamn Dungeon of Doom repressing a lot of my old WCW memories.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Yeah she applies to a very certain niche demo lol

On 3/17/2021 at 9:11 PM, HumanChessgame said:

Have they established if Luchasaurus is a carnivore or herbivore? When I was going through my dinosaur phase as a kid, I always thought carnivorous dinosaurs were bad guys and herbivores were good guys.

As a certified carnivore (or an omnivore, anyway) I still have to maintain that your classification is the only logical one there is.

5 hours ago, AxB said:

So I'm watching the Dynamite from September 30th of 2020, and FTR are doing a promo before their title defence against SCU. And Cash only says "We are the Pinnacle" during it. Long term storytelling, anyone?

There was a twitter post that had all the hints. They (MJF and FTR) have been saying pinnacle for a long time.