DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2021

Casey

That's still pretty cool that they beat out any mid-90s onwards WCW PPV buy-rates, regardless of timing. However as noted I would be interested to see it adjusted for inflation - may not be the same record then.

54 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

When they talk event-to-event percentages, yes, very impressed. The first part is super dubious since I don't think inflation is taken into account. In 1999 the standard PPV was half the cost of a current one.

Let's have a little context with the discussion here lol. 140,000-150,000 buys is a great number. TNA never got more than 25,000 buys in their best days (Angle vs Joe). And rarely ever got above 5,000 in the weekly days. WCW nose dived in 1999 and never hit that many buys in their last 18 months. $7 million dollars of PPV revenue is crazy good. You can focus on the rate of inflation vs 1999 PPVs if you want, but that's pretty snarky. Legitimately the best selling non WWE wrestling PPV in 22 years. And better than a fair amount of the pre network B show WWE PPVs too.

But hey if you wanna knock $7 million dollars of PPV revenue, by all means run one yourself and show us all how it's done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

$7M today is roughy half that numeric amount if you adjust for inflation twenty years ago. I'm glad they're doing great and the online numbers are good (hence why I said show-to-show number improvements are a positive thing) but it's like saying a movie making $100M today is doing better than a film that made $90M two decades ago. It makes no economic sense, no matter what kind of "then YOU do it!" bullshit attitude you try to roll with. That's an extremely weak position to try and talk shit. I'm sorry you'd rather look at raw numbers which are being compared to long-distant time periods and act like they're the same. If so, go on ahead to Taco Bell and get a crunchy taco for $0.39. That was 1999. 

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 2

I would say that converting roughly 15-20% of your regular audience to purchase the PPV experience is a very good effort indeed. However, that AEW has a committed hardcore centre is not & has never been in doubt; the task is to build outwards from that core to achieve a wider-base if they eventually want to be market leading. Quick look at the WCW numbers suggests they didn't beat out their 1999 efforts in terms of sheer numbers watching, but do have more numbers than most (all?) of the 00/01 efforts, so kudos. I wonder how much lockdown/curfew-society elevates buy rates given the continued lack in many places of regular night entertainment.

Those TNA PPV buy rates were absolutely pitiful. c. 25,000 for an event showcasing Hogan/Sting/Angle/A.J/Flair/RVD. I'm going to attribute a lot of that to how utterly low rent their own product looked; why would people part money for something that looks so grotty (and not in the clearly defined edgy-aesthetic way - just cheap).

Edited by A_K
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

$7M today is roughy half that numberic amount if you adjust for inflation twenty years ago. I'm glad they're doing great and the online numbers are good (hence why I said show-to-show number improvements are a positive thing) but it's like saying a movie making $100M today is doing better than a film that made $90M two decades ago. It makes no economic sense, no matter what kind of "then YOU do it!" bullshit attitude you try to roll with. That's an extremely weak position to try and talk shit. I'm sorry you'd rather look at raw numbers which are being compared to long-distant time periods and act like they're the same. If so, go on ahead to Taco Bell and get a crunchy taco for $0.39. That was 1999. 

$7 million dollars today is... $7 million dollars today. No amount of *yeah but* changes that.

It's not a bullshit attitude to say knocking $7 million dollars is fucking stupid. When WWE signs a $2 billion dollar TV with FOX no one is running in to say *yeah but* that $2 billion would actually only be $300 million in 1973. When the network gets sold to Peacock for a $1 billion dollars no one is rushing in to rant about inflation. A wrestling company that isn't WWE just made $7 million dollars. In one night. That's a big deal.

Candy bars used to be a nickle. Is that relevant to someone reporting Hershey's Q1 2021 earnings? Nope. So take your false equivalency bullshit elsewhere. I said then you do it because YOU are the one proclaiming that making **$7million dollars** is not actually a gigantic accomplishment. So if that's not a gigantic number to celebrate, then you must know first hand how to make more. Than do it. Promote anything (doesn't have to be wrestling) and get 140,000 people to buy it. Fuck man, make your offering *free* and see if you can get 140,000 people to bite. Spoiler, you can't.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Point of order...A regular crunch taco from Taco Bell was definitely not $.39 in 1999. It was either $.59 or $.69. Maybe $.79. 

Now it's like $1.50 or something, which is fucking dumb.

EDIT: Ah, $.59 in 1989 and it was likely $.79 by 1999. Thank you memory that remembers completely fucking stupid things like this, but struggles with whatever I did LAST WEEK...

Edited by Craig H

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

The Terminal is fucking awful. 

I saw it in the theater... TWICE! (I think both times were free ?)

Anyway - B-Boy confirmed that he tore/ruptured his Achilles

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Point of order...A regular crunch taco from Taco Bell was definitely not $.39 in 1999. It was either $.59 or $.69. Maybe $.79. 

Now it's like $1.50 or something, which is fucking dumb.

EDIT: Ah, $.59 in 1989 and it was likely $.79 by 1999. Thank you memory that remembers completely fucking stupid things like this, but struggles with whatever I did LAST WEEK...

My pop and I always raided the place on Sundays when the $0.39 price was a thing, but I'm glad to see the regular cost wasn't far off.

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

$7 million dollars today is... $7 million dollars today. No amount of *yeah but* changes that.

It's not a bullshit attitude to say knocking $7 million dollars is fucking stupid. When WWE signs a $2 billion dollar TV with FOX no one is running in to say *yeah but* that $2 billion would actually only be $300 million in 1973. When the network gets sold to Peacock for a $1 billion dollars no one is rushing in to rant about inflation. A wrestling company that isn't WWE just made $7 million dollars. In one night. That's a big deal.

Candy bars used to be a nickle. Is that relevant to someone reporting Hershey's Q1 2021 earnings? Nope. So take your false equivalency bullshit elsewhere. I said then you do it because YOU are the one proclaiming that making **$7million dollars** is not actually a gigantic accomplishment. So if that's not a gigantic number to celebrate, then you must know first hand how to make more. Than do it. Promote anything (doesn't have to be wrestling) and get 140,000 people to buy it. Fuck man, make your offering *free* and see if you can get 140,000 people to bite. Spoiler, you can't.

I'm sorry, Tony. I figured you would have learned some basic economics and the ability to recognize the contexts presented in arguments. I even said I was glad how well you did from one show to the other! There was progress! I BOUGHT TWO OF YOUR T-SHIRTS TODAY BAH GAWD but keep saying dumb shit. "Candy bars used to be a (nickel)," yes, when a nickel was the equivalent of $1.00-$1.50. No one ever has once said that affects Hershey's earnings because they're all reported with contemporary numbers with no care for what those contemporary numbers meant years ago. Know why? NO ONE MAKES THE COMPARISON.

When someone goes "oh shit, this made more than $7,000,000! That hasn't happened since 1999!" the alarms go off since they're using a dramatically outdated figure and IT'S A COMPARISON. You can be a supermark, cool, but don't talk shit about incontrovertible shit because it doesn't jibe with what you want to hear. AEW improved by 50% show-over-show. That's to be commended. Giving them false plaudits is not.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I'm sorry, Tony. I figured you would have learned some basic economics and the ability to recognize the contexts presented in arguments. I even said I was glad how well you did from one show to the other! There was progress! I BOUGHT TWO OF YOUR T-SHIRTS TODAY BAH GAWD but keep saying dumb shit. "Candy bars used to be a (nickel)," yes, when a nickel was the equivalent of $1.00-$1.50. No one ever has once said that affects Hershey's earnings because they're all reported with contemporary numbers with no care for what those contemporary numbers meant years ago. Know why? NO ONE MAKES THE COMPARISON.

When someone goes "oh shit, this made more than $7,000,000! That hasn't happened since 1999!" the alarms go off since they're using a dramatically outdated figure and IT'S A COMPARISON. You can be a supermark, cool, but don't talk shit about incontrovertible shit because it doesn't jibe with what you want to hear. AEW improved by 50% show-over-show. That's to be commended. Giving them false plaudits is not.

I just went on a fuck Sean Spears rant a few pages ago, so I think it's prettttayyyyy clear I'm not your boy TK. But if he sees this and likes my opinions my DMs are wide open ?

I did the math to covert $7 million into total buys in my first reply. 140,000ish is what you get when you divide $7 million by roughly $50 a pop. Funny you have ignored that part of my post and just keep ranting about inflation. I don't get why there are so many thread crappers in the AEW forums, but this shit happens every time they hit a new benchmark. 140,000 is the highest for any wrestling outside of WWE since 1999. Better? Your inflation bullshit is irrelevant, because the same exact point they were trying to convey in dollars is true in total buys (with or without inflation). 140,000 in 1999 is the same as 140,000 in 2021. No inflation deflection necessary.

Call me a supermark or whatever if it gets you blood flowing. But no amount of petty bullshit name calling can dispute the facts. This is the most bought non-WWE wrestling event since 1999. Now gather up your inflation shit and take it to the Death Valley Driver econ & statistics forum pal.

• Like 3

Looks like the premiere of Dark: Elevation will be just like original recipe AEW Dark. 13 matches.

Riho vs. Maki Itoh

Jungle Boy vs. Danny Limelight

Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Brandon Cutler

Tay Conti vs. Ashley Vox

Max Caster vs. Dante Martin

Big Swole vs. Alex Gracia

QT Marshall vs. Marko Stunt

Red Velvet vs. Dani Jordyn

The Sydals vs. Joel Nelson and Royce Isaacs (ex-NWA Power)

Miro/Kip Sabian vs. Baron Black/Vary Morales

Abadon vs. Ray Lyn

Diamante vs. Leyla Grey

Butcher/Blade/Private Party vs. Dean Alexander/Carlie Bravo/Brick Aldridge/David Ali

• Like 1