DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2021

Casey

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

I fundamentally disagree with this stance. If I post the AEW PPV in full while providing my own commentary track, it really shouldn't matter what my opinions are. It's not the nature of the opinions that matter but the fact that I posted their entire intellectual property and didn't alter it in a substantively transformative way.  If I take 15 second clips of the show and insert large portions of myself talking on camera, it does transform the content. It shouldn't really matter how much I like the product or not. 

I meant that girl. It's the worst of both worlds. Taking full clips and talking shit over it. 

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6

Never heard of Girl on Cinema before like, thirty minutes ago. Listening to her review of Bucks/Inner Circle from the PPV now and I gotta say I'm like 90% of the way with this person. I understand people thinking it's a Cornette-ish gimmick but I would counter that maybe similar complaints from different sectors and generations (a guy in his 60s, a guy in his 30s, and a lady who sounds about 20) would indicate actual problems. Other videos have presented stuff which sounds relentlessly negative but some glimmers of acknowledging quality exist. All in all it sounds like a younger fan who exists in a weird liminal zone where you want old school but don't care about kayfabe while not understanding fully why old school worked and... you get the point. It's a mishmash of opinions with little consistency though I remain mostly in agreement with a lot of her commentary.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

I meant that girl. It's the worst of both worlds. Taking full clips and talking shit over it. 

Her being overly negative isn't the actionable issue though. She can leave a very negative review without the clips and there really isn't anything that can be done about it.

• Like 2

Here's some super late thoughts of AEW Dark.

* QT Marshall vs. Fuego del Sol

This just seemed like the wrong match to have off the turn. QT is going to have to heat himself up somehow if he's going to be credible against Dustin and this ain't it chief. Going way too even with Fuego is only going to make QT look out of his depth. Having Fuego counter the diamond cutter with a handstand is just not what should be done in a enhancement match. The ending sequence of Fuego fumbling off the top rope was covered well if it was an actual error so good on them for that. I am not in on the Fuego tornado DDT meme and I don't want to be.

* Lee Johnson vs. Baron Black

Baron is one of my favorite Dark talents. I mark out for his atomic drop/back stabber combination. I feel like he'd be better in a tag team if they ever decide to do anything with him. He seems better served doing that than working singles. He doesn't have the hook down yet but he does a good job of working within himself. Keep the degree of difficulty down and the degree of execution up.

* Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Angel Fashion

Hobbs is the best. No matches on Dynamite in 2021.

* Joey Janela and Sonny Kiss vs. Santana and Ortiz

Janela looked the worst I've ever seen him. Some of the worst gear I have ever seen in my life and he flubbed a kip up during his hot tag sequence. I'm embarrassed for him and I don't even like him. 

* Peter Avalon, Cezar Bononi and Ryan Nemeth vs. Aaron Solow, Brick Aldridge, and Dean Alexander

More Nightmare Family people you didn't know existed! Dean is a total JAG and Brick despite being reportedly super strong, didn't project any of that power. Ending was super flat.

* Dark Order vs 4 guys

I'm looking forward to the show being able to travel again so hopefully -1 has to go to school or something and can come off television. He's become inordinately distracting (he was worse during a Tay Conti match last week) being on the outside. Much like everyone else, I don't want to say anything bad about a kid and I don't blame anyone for him being there. It's probably just time to move on and bring him back for special occassions only.

• Like 1

I misread a report and thought a Dark Elevation preview with the Limelight-Jungle Boy match was to air last night at 730.  I was kinda stoked to see it, still am.  I hope this show has something that separates it from Dark.  I liked the idea being speculated about that it would be a sort of developmental show.  Looking at that line-up it makes me think they've just decided to break Dark in to two parts.  

6 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I understand people thinking it's a Cornette-ish gimmick but I would counter that maybe similar complaints from different sectors and generations (a guy in his 60s, a guy in his 30s, and a lady who sounds about 20) would indicate actual problems. 

Yeah, but the actual problems it indicates are:

1) The world is full of idiots

and

2) It is way too easy for said idiots to find a platform for their idiocy.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 7

I had never heard of this GOC before, but found the flare-up amusing territory so listened to a few episodes out walking. She's acerbic but fairly witty; good to note that in her first shows she was uber-excited about AEW forming. This isn't some come-lately-troll; she has given commentary since pre-Dynamite and was genuinely excited about the concept.

As with SMG above, I also thought her Bucks/MJericho review was more or less on point in content though clearly she applies a lot of vitriol. That frilly-burberry monstrosity robe they dressed MJF in particularly did need calling out. AEW production values are largely on point but there is an even more frequent tendency for costuming to look like it is sewn together from various yard-sale pieces, and not in an interesting vintage way. Way more quality control needed if they're just letting guys pick their own pieces out -- it can look very low-rent.

Edited by A_K

12 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I don't see too much discussion of merch here but I just sprang for the Deathmatch shirt and this on the AEW website:

aew1682-1.png

I already had the current OC "Yearbook" shirt but I knew I had to have this the moment I saw it. 

There's a merch omnibus thread on the main page that you would like. Lots of cool stuff!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

There's a merch omnibus thread on the main page that you would like. Lots of cool stuff!

I appreciate the heads up, didn't mean to clutter anything but that Creation of Whatever shirt is so fuckin' sweet I'm not really sorry about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I appreciate the heads up, didn't mean to clutter anything but that Creation of Whatever shirt is so fuckin' sweet I'm not really sorry about it.

No one will complain about you posting that shirt. It's a beauty!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

160715250_10159642250252856_131583783066

When they talk event-to-event percentages, yes, very impressed. The first part is super dubious since I don't think inflation is taken into account. In 1999 the standard PPV was half the cost of a current one.

Plus “non-WWE” means dying days WCW and ECW, Heroes of Wrestling, that WOW PPV, and a bunch of TNA shows at best. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Plus “non-WWE” means dying days WCW and ECW, Heroes of Wrestling, that WOW PPV, and a bunch of TNA shows at best. 

How dare you denigrate the WCW plan to have PPVs named for the seven deadly sins! And no mention of WWA? Tsk tsk. These were titans whose competitors were lucky to land a blow!

What was the weekly TNA PPV buyrate in 2002-3, I wonder. I bought them during the period of Styles's ascendance and the Raven debut but abandoned the promotion once it became clear that Jarrett was going to always end up winning. Genuine weekly customer but shitty booking drove me away (and that was after absorbing the SEX storyline and the Tony Schiavone shoot experiment looking like a Boogaloo Boi)