DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2021

Casey

I hereby bequeath my copy of Fire Pro on GBA (with all my edits on it) to the first babyface that incorporates the phrase "...not with a bang, but a whimper" when cutting a promo on Kenny Omega. I love the all-too-obvious and so does wrestling.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

Biggest difference between WWE and AEW. Vince McMahon would never stoop to picking a fight on Twitter with a YouTuber over a reaction video that was critical of the company.

LOL yeah dude, Vince would never resort to....hold on, let me double check this...taking social media money out of people's pockets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

LOL yeah dude, Vince would never resort to....hold on, let me double check this...taking social media money out of people's pockets.

No you're right, he absolutely would. He just wouldn't conduct himself like a petty internet fuckboy who's only in this position because daddy has money. 

Sign me up for drama factory Tony Khan getting into flame wars with nobodies and explaining fair use. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

No you're right, he absolutely would. He just wouldn't conduct himself like a petty internet fuckboy who's only in this position because daddy has money. 

Sign me up for drama factory Tony Khan getting into flame wars with nobodies and explaining fair use. 

I have no dog in whatever fight is going on, but when is the last time Shad Khan was involved in anything AEW related? It's Tony's money and his endeavor. Does his dad have to be deceased like Vince Sr. for people to realize this? 

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I'm beginning to think Tony Khan may not be the saviour we were hoping for. 

I've asked this question (or made a similar statement) several times over in the MMA forum in relation to Scott Coker: Why look to ANY promoter to be this nice, good guy savior? 10 out of 10 times there is probably going to be something that rubs you the wrong way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Oh for sure.  I just found it funny that the OP was hold up Vince as a guy who wouldn't do something petty.  Which is amazing.

8 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Didn't Shad give Tony the starting money?

Yes, he was the main investor. However, Tony HIMSELF is rich. Pronouns, pal.

"This is one of those cases where as a father, you don't mind being wrong. So, it's absolutely... I mean, this was obviously my son Tony, who had a passion for it. This was his idea and God's blessed us. We have the financial means, so we'll try it. And you get to a stage in life where you can fail and it's not life-threatening, and this was one of those. So, you know, I am as surprised as anybody."

He didn't say I. Just me, Shad Khan. Is generational wealth some type of foreign concept people don't know about?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Oh for sure.  I just found it funny that the OP was hold up Vince as a guy who wouldn't do something petty.  Which is amazing.

We know Vince is petty but he's got plenty of underlings and WWE legal to do his dirty work. Vince isn't petty enough to open a DVDVR account and argue about how RAW was good shit, pal. Or start a Twitter beef with somebody critical of his company.

17 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

We know Vince is petty but he's got plenty of underlings and WWE legal to do his dirty work. Vince isn't petty enough to open a DVDVR account and argue about how RAW was good shit, pal. Or start a Twitter beef with somebody critical of his company.

Man, I DUNNO. I've been watching some of these Raws from the mid 90s, and if he wasn't already six billion years old and had a solid understanding of technology, he would totally do it.

Recently, I watched a Raw where they cut a 3 minute commercial that ends with Vince (using some paid actors putting on phony British accents) taking a shot at Ted Turner colorizing old classic films. It had NOTHING to do with wrestling. NOTHING. Before you say, well everyone was ridiculing Ted Turner for that stuff. If you go back and watch the Raw shows after he got acquitted in the steroid trial (circa August 94 I wanna say), for like 2 or 3 shows it's nothing but Vince and Macho Man taking shots at how much the Goodwill Games suck and Jane Fonda jokes. Fucking relentless. Also, they of course gloat about Vince getting acquitted.

Vince McMahon in his day was ALL TIME PETTY. Tony Khan has to promote at least 15-20 years to even reach half that level.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Let's do a board tournament to figure out the pettiest thing Vince has ever done.  The Vince Petty Invitational.

I'm partial to "cut off your nose to spite your face" shit like ruining the Invasion angle because "their guys shouldn't beat our guys."  There's petty and then there's "I burned down my house to hurt my neighbor's property values" petty.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Recently, I watched a Raw where they cut a 3 minute commercial that ends of Vince taking a shot at Ted Turner colorizing old classic films. It had NOTHING to do with wrestling. NOTHING. Before you say, well everyone was ridiculing Ted Turner for that stuff. If you go back and watch the Raw shows after he got acquitted in the steroid trial (circa August 94 I wanna say), for like 2 or 3 shows it's nothing but Vince and Macho Man taking shots at how much the Goodwill Games suck and Jane Fonda jokes. Fucking relentless. Also, they of course gloat about Vince getting acquitted.

Thanks. I know what I'm watching tonight. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

Vince isn't petty enough to open a DVDVR account and argue about how RAW was good shit, pal.

I'm giggling at thinking on the over/under for how long it'd take before Rippa bans his ass.  I say two days and that's being generous.

33 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

Is this a joke? You do understand that Vince or Nick Khan or whoever basically pushes their workers to be antagonistic towards other companies. I suppose that's the underlings you speak of, but most of these dorks aren't going out and talking shit on their own accord considering how much their social media is controlled (unless you're Randy Orton I guess).

For fucks sake though, look at the multiple INVESTOR CALLS that have been held where Vince has something to say about his product when someone is critical of it, or any time HHH drags AEW. HHH fucking did that during their HoF show. 

Edited by Craig H

Would it be more petty for Vince to show up on DVDVR or for Vince to pay Jerry McDivitt's fees to have him do it?  This is a zen koan.

Some Vince petty shit that springs to mind:

Wasting time on his wrestling TV show to troll Stan Kroenke because he was mad about losing an arena booking for the NBA playoffs.  Vince literally challenged the man to a fight.

Vince sending concern trolling letters to newspapers in the 90s over WCW's objectionable content when WCW was killing him in the ratings. I believe he even wrote letters to TNT.  He later did the same with AEW, handwringing to the press over AEW possibly doing "blood and guts stuff."

Booking Sting to job him to HHH many many years after WCW's demise to put the final nail in WCW's coffin.

Creating a new ECW and making it suck so fans would stop chanting "ECW" during his shows.

The Right to Censor.

I know there's much much more.  Did Vince ever name jobbers after his enemies?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Thanks. I know what I'm watching tonight. 

The commercial is on the 4/17/1995 Raw (you also get a Undertaker commercial warning folks not to drink and drive, which is now hilarious in hindsight). The other stuff is on the August 1 and August 8 Raws taped from Youngstown, OH. 

And speaking of old Raws and Vince being petty, there is a Raw (6/3/1996) where Vince cuts an entire two minute tirade on Diesel and Razor Ramon. Well the former Diesel and Razor Ramon. And just in case anyone wants to watch on the network and wants to know when it happened:

King of the Ring Qualifier: Jake Roberts v. Hunter Hearst Helmsley

It was stated explicitly in the Observer at the time, for those wondering, that this is the beginning of Hunter’s punishment for the Curtain Call and it’ll probably last for a while. So it wasn’t just something that we found out retroactively. Hunter escapes an early DDT attempt while they let his valet talk to Lawler for some reason. Vince just BURIES her on commentary in a really funny bit, deadpanning that she’s part of the “Rocket scientist of the week program”. Speaking of burials, Vince then goes off (for legal reasons) on a long explanation about how Razor Ramon and Diesel are in fact not under contract to the WWF and are “perpetrating a ruse” while under contract to a rival promotion. Well, that pretty much puts an end to that invader angle over on Nitro, I’d say. Of course, the more he made those claims, the more it made people think that he was being a lying carney and they were actually working for the WWF. 

I bring this up because that was a Raw taped the day before they reshot the rest of IYH: Beware of Dog at a house show in some shitty venue in South Carolina to make up for the transmission issues that happened during the PPV the previous Sunday. This Raw aired the week after so they had to go record the commentary that morning like they usually did because Vince's belief was you have to record it THAT day so people think that shit is live. And I've noticed a pattern where Lawler will reference whatever movie was number 1 at the box office that weekend or whatever big story or scandal was in the newspaper or tabloids. It's a dead giveaway because he makes it a big point to mention that stuff even though it has nothing to do with anything on the show. He does it EVERY taped show. Shit, no wonder Bischoff took pride in spoiling Raw. 

Anyway, Vince just buries Hall and Nash and says they aren't stars anymore (it's hilarious and also scary hearing Vince go from congenial "anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation" commentator Vince to shoot, real life Vince McMahon in the blink of an eye). That's great and all Vince, but you just did a show in a half filled venue where the lights were out, people including the wrestlers couldn't see jack shit in the dark, and you had to do a make good and refund people who bought this disaster of a PPV. Not only that, but you waited an entire week when you saw Scott Hall debut on Nitro, sat on it for seven whole days, and then Monday morning when it came to time to record the commentary thought, "yep, this is still a good idea!". Now THAT is super petty in addition to being bitter, being paranoid, and showing no self-awareness whatsoever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Vince booked Jim Cornette to go on Raw and talk shit about WCW and other people complaining about them.

Vince would later do the same thing himself.

Naming Virgil because of Dusty.

Then later signed Dusty and treated him like a fucking joke.

Gillberg.

Fake Razor and Fake Diesel.

I almost positive he bitched and moaned about losing the WWF case.

• Like 2

And don't fucking kid yourselves. If a youthful Vince had Twitter back in the early 90s, he'd be all over that shit before he got savvy enough to have others do his dirty work for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Billionaire Ted as a Youtube miniseries, believe it.

Animated series on the WWF Network, pal.

Now I weep for all drama we missed out on with Vince as a petty internet fuckboy rather than just a regular petty fuckboy. The stupid shit he'd have tweeted around the time he had Umaga wreck the Obama and Hillary impersonators... 

• Like 3

I kinda want to go down a rabbit hole of the Herb Kunze Tidbits archives, and reference the times Gorilla Monsoon, Killer Kowalski and Freddie Blassie got on the stand and defended Vince under oath while maintaining kayfabe, and giving ridiculous stories about the time they took down Muhammad Ali with the airplane spin, or legitimately meant for Erik the Yukon to lose an ear.

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I almost positive he bitched and moaned about losing the WWF case.

Talk about petty!  All the guy had to do was not use the initials "WWF" internationally and he could have kept the name.  Just refer to it as the World Wrestling Federation.  Exactly like agreed to do, in court!  How long after the agreement did he just go right back to using the initials?  Is that petty or arrogant?  Or that grey area in between, I guess.