DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

I'd say for me personally the highest-available quality is more of a want than a need. I've been spoiled by what's available nowadays. But I'll take what I can get. If my Mid-South viewing has a drop in picture and video quality but suddenly includes Another One Bites the Dust, I'll try not to complain too vociferously. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I'd say for me personally the highest-available quality is more of a want than a need. I've been spoiled by what's available nowadays. But I'll take what I can get. If my Mid-South viewing has a drop in picture and video quality but suddenly includes Another One Bites the Dust, I'll try not to complain too vociferously. 

I mean I was literally watching all of these little white dots on the top of the black space in the screen for Juventud Guerrera and Heavy Metal fighting five Power Rangers in a newly unearthed 95 AAA show tonight. I suppose I could have watched the beading sweat fall off of Curt Hennig's hair at Summerslam 91 for the third dozen time instead though?

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I mean I was literally watching all of these little white dots on the top of the black space in the screen for Juventud Guerrera and Heavy Metal fighting five Power Rangers in a newly unearthed 95 AAA show tonight. I suppose I could have watched the beading sweat fall off of Curt Hennig's hair at Summerslam 91 for the third dozen time instead though?

Good lord no. Watch what you want. Especially you, since you normally end up sharing some interesting stuff.

I was just wading in because you asked why someone needs to watch old wrestling in HD. Just offering my wet fart response of "eh, preference." 

4 hours ago, MapRef41N93W said:

@Smelly McUgly I'd never seen or even heard of that Flair/Regal match, but I'm watching now and enjoying it a lot. Thanks!

Never seen it  (them) either, but there was a story about them in an old WCW Magazine I had back in '94, so I've been fascinated by them for a good while. Need to finally give that one a go , when I have some time to watch wrestling again  (this month has been terrible on that front so far).

2 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

It literally says on the WWE website that the international version of the Network will continue as normal.

Just get a VPN, sign up as an international subscriber and for once, acknowledge that the rest of the world exists....

As a citizen of the rest of the world, I'm fully prepared to see this thing be neglected once the Americans are off the boat. But I'll be happy to be wrong. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

What does one have to do with another? i have access to YouTube also.  it's not a "this or that" situation. 

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

As a citizen of the rest of the world, I'm fully prepared to see this thing be neglected once the Americans are off the boat. But I'll be happy to be wrong

I suspect it stays at the status quo till the deal with NBC no longer favours them, and then all of a sudden a lot of things become network exclusives.

7 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

It literally says on the WWE website that the international version of the Network will continue as normal.

Just get a VPN, sign up as an international subscriber and for once, acknowledge that the rest of the world exists....

I just tried it with my VPN and it works flawlessly on my phone.  My Android TV tends to be weird with VPNs but I'll tinker with ways to watch it that work for me.  Either way I'm good to go.

Also, regarding video quality with very few exceptions I kind of don't like it when old stuff gets polished up like it did for the network.  I'll take scanlines and whatever other "imperfections" any day of the week so long as I can see what's going on.  Heck, I even went and looked up some old stuff on Youtube that's on the network and with the Youtube versions being as is it just feels right to me.  Now if I can just get around to finishing the basement I'm gonna get an adapter to play Youtube on a  CRT TV we have and go nuts with the old stuff.  It's just meant to be be on that compared to flat screens IMO.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

I got the sense that the WWE Network moving to Peacock is the next wave of streaming - consolidation. Content is king, no matter the quality, so gobble up smaller services with a subscriber base that'll mostly carry over and buff your numbers. I think going back to maintaining it as a solo venture isn't happening unless no streaming service wants to pay to keep WWE.

• Like 1

I also think it'll be interesting to see how many people are new subscribers once the network shuts down in the US.  I know it'll be hard to track since it can be for anything else related to Peacock but I have a feeling the numbers won't be as good as they hope.

9 minutes ago, Eoae said:

So what’s the issue with the Peacock version of the Network?  I see a lot of grumbling online but I’m not really clear why.   Not a lot of content carried over?

They are only moving ppvs from this year, some original content, new Raws/Smackdowns right away. 

In June they are moving the rest of the older shows/footage, supposedly. 

1 minute ago, Spontaneous said:

They are only moving ppvs from this year, some original content, new Raws/Smackdowns right away. 

In June they are moving the rest of the older shows/footage, supposedly. 

Most of the PPVs are there other than a few random ones.  The organization is just bad (they're separated by Season and not by Year).  Raw and Smackdown only go back to 2008.

21 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Is Dick Ebersol still a head at NBC? Because his enormous friendship with Vince would definitely preclude any issues with Peacock getting disinterested in them.

The word is "uninterested."  "Disinterested" means you have no stake in something, no vested interest, as in "we'd like this movie reviewed by a disinterested third party."  If you're trying to say someone is not interested in something, the word is uninterested.  After "talking shit about Cody," "being really pedantic about words" is my thing.  Please don't ask about "less vs fewer."  ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The word is "uninterested."  "Disinterested" means you have no stake in something, no vested interest, as in "we'd like this movie reviewed by a disinterested third party."  If you're trying to say someone is not interested in something, the word is uninterested.  After "talking shit about Cody," "being really pedantic about words" is my thing.  Please don't ask about "less vs fewer."  ?

Thank you, now I understand this more. *runs away*

• Haha 1

Imagine if there was a Wrestling timewarp, and 1997 Shawn Michaels and HHH found out that in the future, you'd be able to watch WWF matches on "Pee-Cock". They'd never shut up about it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

So what’s the issue with the Peacock version of the Network?  I see a lot of grumbling online but I’m not really clear why.   Not a lot of content carried over?

Two big reasons outside of just being worried all the content won't come over / they will abandon uploading rare things:

1. The search function on Peacock sucks vs The Network. On The Network you can search any wrestler's name and if they have a match on the network, it's in the results. Current talent, old talent, and even enhancement talent. You could also search for any specific match and jump right to that match without having to wade through an entire show to get to it. Peacock doesn't have matches specified at all and have already said they aren't doing that. So that great feature is just gone. A search on Peacock just shows a few recent clips of current stars and the ability to find whole shows. (Although searching WCW found zero results, but searching just WC brought up all the WCW content they had up).

2. The watch from beginning feature for live events is gone. If you wanna watch Fastlane better have that shit turned on right at 7PM. As is now, The Network's best feature was being able to get home an hour after the PPV started and clicking watch from beginning for a live PPV. You could even fast forward through dull stuff. Can't do any of that on Peacock. It's just a live stream with none of those features.

• Thanks 1