DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

There's like 1 or 2 IG dedicated to chronologically going through the career of Stone Cold and  one of them is up the spring of 2001 after his heel turn. I know he says he regrets turning heel in hindsight but I thought he was dope as a heel, up until the KoTR when he injured his back and had to rely on comedy. If Rock was still full time during the first few months he would've helped to because he would've had a big enough babyface opposing him. That 2 man power trip was dope too, until Hunter got injured. But as far as Austin, he did alot of dastardly things to make sure he was received as a heel like beat Lita with the chair. And he and Hunter seemed like he were trying to get The Hardys Benoit and Jericho over. I also think the Invasion angle kinda messed up his heel run too. He and Angle switching Babyface and heel.

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

If WWE gave us THIS kind of stuff on a weekly basis their stars would be so much bigger/brighter.

This makes a super human weight trainer like John Cena feel like a dude at my local gym. Someone I could see and get tips from. Someone I can RELATE too. I'm way more invested in this match (No idea if it's Rock 1 or Rock 2) than I was with the Fruity Pebbles, "See ya in Hollywood", You are a part timer blah blah BS they actually put on RAW at the time.

That was a great clip and doing more like this can't do anything but improve the WWE --- 

--- BUT ---

--- for me, I don't want to "relate" to these rasslers. I want them to be bigger than life. I want them to occupy a world I can't even imagine, and to think of them in mundane terms (Terry Funk going to the DMV? Abdullah the Butcher collects Star Wars dolls? Baron Von Raschke trained as a plumber?) makes them seem less special, and makes it harder to suspend my disbelief. This is my (old-timer?) view, the mileage on your Model T may vary. This ties in with the social media debate of above as well.

- RAF

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

(Y'know, when the post you are replying to is not on the last page, I almost always get confused and think that it didn't post. Like this here double post.)

Spontaneous wrestling thought: 

Inspired by the late great Lawrence Ferlinghetti's monumental poem collection "A Coney Island Of The Mind" (1958), I will title my next collection of prosody, doggerel and haiku "A Clash Of Champions Of The Mind". Or "A Coney Island Of The Squared Circle". Which is better?

trademarkcopyrightpatentpendingprioruse,

RAF

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
computers are hard

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Does Rachel Maddow like missile dropkicks?

I have no idea who that is, nor do I  have  a need to find out, and yet, I absolutely refuse to live in a world where she doesn't!

Edited by Shartnado
grammar...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

There's like 1 or 2 IG dedicated to chronologically going through the career of Stone Cold and  one of them is up the spring of 2001 after his heel turn. I know he says he regrets turning heel in hindsight but I thought he was dope as a heel, up until the KoTR when he injured his back and had to rely on comedy. If Rock was still full time during the first few months he would've helped to because he would've had a big enough babyface opposing him. That 2 man power trip was dope too, until Hunter got injured. But as far as Austin, he did alot of dastardly things to make sure he was received as a heel like beat Lita with the chair. And he and Hunter seemed like he were trying to get The Hardys Benoit and Jericho over. I also think the Invasion angle kinda messed up his heel run too. He and Angle switching Babyface and heel.

It was clearly the wrong booking based on the babyfaces they had lined up, and continued to get worse in the Invasion. But I'll be damned if late 2000 through 2001 isn't at worst my second favourite Steve Austin year. Even after KotR, you still had him putting a top-five all-time SummerSlam match with Kurt. It's a remarkable body of work.

Links to these IG accounts please. 

10 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

That was a great clip and doing more like this can't do anything but improve the WWE --- 

--- BUT ---

--- for me, I don't want to "relate" to these rasslers. I want them to be bigger than life. I want them to occupy a world I can't even imagine, and to think of them in mundane terms (Terry Funk going to the DMV? Abdullah the Butcher collects Star Wars dolls? Baron Von Raschke trained as a plumber?) makes them seem less special, and makes it harder to suspend my disbelief. This is my (old-timer?) view, the mileage on your Model T may vary. This ties in with the social media debate of above as well.

- RAF

I kind of find "I want someone I can relate to" to be the most basic wrestling take that I see repeated way too often. Always happy to see this alternative represented, even if my actual views are always rocking back and forth on a continuum. 

Before this thread gets closed because of a right winger or whatever, can we talk about the news that Paul Wight dropped on Talk Is Jericho for a minute? Apparently sometime early on in the Wyatts run, it was supposed to be the Wyatts versus Cena, Big Show and.... JUSTIN BIEBER?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

Before this thread gets closed because of a right winger or whatever, can we talk about the news that Paul Wight dropped on Talk Is Jericho for a minute? Apparently sometime early on in the Wyatts run, it was supposed to be the Wyatts versus Cena, Big Show and.... JUSTIN BIEBER?

That is one time where the confused emoji actually makes sense.  For some reason though my first thought reading that was "Hmm...wonder how they would be as a boy band."

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Wight defended the decision, since it would get eyeballs on WWE's product. But someone backstage nixed it because they didn't think the audience could relate to Justin Bieber.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, just read the recap on Reddit. But I'm assuming this was around 2014? He mentioned the proposed match was to be at SummerSlam.

15 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

We'd need to know more. For example, if you watch Klaus Kinski films where Werner Herzog is clearly trying to kill him, obviously that makes you a) an awesome person and b) probably a fan of Japanese deathmatches.

Definitely a), then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

It was squashed because an unknown person in WWE reportedly said GODDAMIT PAL HE'S NO FRANKIE AVALON

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

It was squashed because an unknown person in WWE reportedly said GODDAMIT PAL HE'S NO FRANKIE AVALON

It's kinda weird that Summerslam never had a beach party movie theme, like Clambake or some shit. At least we got Great Balls of Fire

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's kinda weird that Summerslam never had a beach party movie theme, like Clambake or some shit. At least we got Great Balls of Fire

For all the joking we do about Vince's pop culture understanding being decades behind what is current...holy shit he actually did name a 2017 PPV after a 60 year old Jerry Lee Lewis song.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

For all the joking we do about Vince's pop culture understanding being decades behind what is current...holy shit he actually did name a 2017 PPV after a 60 year old Jerry Lee Lewis song.

Which lead to some unfortunate LED blocking...

DEYPAO2-Xs-AAL4i-X-jpg-large.jpg

• Haha 10

On 3/15/2021 at 4:05 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

I agree in theory, but having been to Spokane, I must say that it's basically a Pacific Northwest stand-in for [insert corrupt Southern town of your choosing]. 

People don't know that a lot of the PNW is just the South, but with more pine trees. 

Super true. I drove down to San Francisco from Vancouver a few years backs and was shocked to see confederate flags on cars and houses once I got near the south of Washington near the Oregon border. Northern California is super 'rural' too with a mix of hippies and wannabe southerners. British Columbia is pretty much the same with a few metropolitan areas and mostly rural conservative towns making up the rest of the province. 

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Jesus it's like the Spider-Man pointing at Spider-Man meme in here.

Disliking or criticizing somebody because they are not taking a deadly pandemic seriously is NOT a political opinion. If you (the general "you") think it is, you can talk to my right-leaning Veteran father in law who spent 56 days in the hospital with covid, or any of the countless people on here whose friends and family died of it. So I would say plenty of people on here have every right to criticize an anti-masker wrestler In the wrestling folder, or such an actor or musician in those respective folders. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

On 3/15/2021 at 6:13 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I hesitate on the diabetes just because a man just blamed his racism on his diabetes. So I believe his self healing system is broken.

When it comes to Arizona...the only things I think of are MLK Day not being a holiday, Warrior Academy and destrucity or however the fuck you spell it, Superstar Billy Graham, Raising Arizona, the 2001 Diamondbacks, Lute Olson, and the classic SNL sketch where Xena played Stevie Nicks selling shitty Tex-Mex in Sedona with her cocaine fueled gypsy yodeling. 

Let's not forget Eleanor Shellstrop from The Good Place, as well as Phoenix being a city full of serial killers on Medium.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

Can't we all just get back to complaining about who doesn't throw good punches?

Good idea, but considering what today is I would be fine with celebrating the likes of Finlay instead.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1