DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

17 hours ago, Pete said:

Since Dan Rodimer's campaign for Congress last year in Nevada went so well, he's now running for Congress in Texas. And... well, see for yourself.

It's pretty amazing.

When your party's key platforms/talking points are indistinguishable from parody, you've got a problem.

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

That doesn't seem right. WWF stopped sending talent over to work NJPW tours as far back as 1985, five years before the Tokyo Dome Wrestling Summit and subsequent formation of Super World Sports. The final NJPW talent showing up in WWF was the December 1984 MSG show with the famous Cobra vs Black Tiger match, and Inoki vs Dr. D David Schultz. Hogan's last NJPW match in that era was in June 1985 against Inoki.

Andre kept going over to Japan into 1986, but that might have been separate from the overall talent trade agreement.

Inoki vs Schultz sounds all kinds of interesting. Have you seen it?

Meltzer:

• Buddy Murphy, whose 2021 year has consisted of two matches even though he's one of the best in-ring guys in the company and I know several people who think he's one of the best in the world, wrote today to Aleister Black about wanting to steal the show at WrestleMania.

No way is that match happening. Murphy is one of the best wrestlers in the WWE. Worldwide? Maybe.

49 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I’ve seen this promo dozens of times over the years and still dig it.  Best promo or Arn’s career?

How have I never seen this before? Love how Arn gives a measure of respect to Magnum before threatening to commit a heinous assault on him.

9 minutes ago, quackhell said:

How have I never seen this before? Love how Arn gives a measure of respect to Magnum before threatening to commit a heinous assault on him.

Yeah, nothing better than "You are a great athlete, and by all accounts a decent human being, but if you test me, you best believe your relatives will be really sad for a long damned time!" And all those hundreds of variations of that particular promo.

Topic change:

What are the best matches featuring a title change for a specific title?

Intercontinental title will have some really good options:
Steamboat/Savage, Bret/Perfect, Bret/Bulldog, Shawn/Marty, Jarrett/Shawn, Rock/HHH, Benoit/Jericho, RVD/Eddy..

Bret/Perfect gets it for me. Far too sentimental to overlook it ahead of perhaps better, more technically sound matches.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Unless I've missed something over the last few years I tuned out, for me the best WWF title matches are still:

1) Punk/Cena MITB '11

2) Bret/Shawn WM XII

3) Rumble '92

For that belt I'd go:

1) Rock/Austin WM X7

2) Rumble 92

3) Punk/Cena

4) Triple H/Rock Ironman

5) Flair/Savage

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Since Arn always looked older, I’ll go ahead and assume this pic was taken the day he was born.

I think it was from before his parents met actually.

• Haha 2

I feel like I took a completely different thing from that Andrade interview than everyone else. The whole "she was temporarily suspended via suspected pregnancy due to elevated HcG levels" thing could just be an unfortunately timed false positive... but HcG beyond the whole pregnancy thing is also used in doping and I half wondered while reading it if he accidentally tattled on Charlotte, especially since he followed it up with "and that same doctor said I used a banned substance which I totally didn't".

Note: to clarify I am NOT saying that Charlotte is doping. There is no where near enough even circumstantial evidence to support that. It's just going "she tested high for levels of a substance that is elevated when pregnant, doping, or some other cases, and she's not pregnant" is one of those things he probably should have thought about a bit more before saying aloud.

semi-accidentally trashed on affordable Speyside dream matches

1. Johnny Weaver vs. anyone good in World of Sport 2. Ronda Rousey & Vader vs. Aja Kong & Volk Han (mixed tag rules) 3. Negro Casas vs. Roddy Piper Hair vs. Hair 2/3 Falls Arena Mexico 4. Flair/Tully/Arn vs. Wyatts but it has to be a TV studio main event with a screwy finish 5. WALTER vs. Wahoo McDaniel but it has to be in front of like, nobody in a really acoustically resonant American Legion hall and Wahoo goes over

i will dream of these, but i will forget the dream ?

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

I think a better question is probably 

"How many high level, multi million dollar athletes are not doing what they need to excel, be it right up to the ever-moving moral line of getting an edge/cheating?"

And when you add it in the cosmetic aspect of wrestling, for men and women, it would drop that number even lower.

(Unless your gimmick involves being a freak, be it tall, fat or other.) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Unless I've missed something over the last few years I tuned out, for me the best WWF title matches are still:

1) Punk/Cena MITB '11

2) Bret/Shawn WM XII

3) Rumble '92

5 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

For that belt I'd go:

1) Rock/Austin WM X7

2) Rumble 92

3) Punk/Cena

4) Triple H/Rock Ironman

5) Flair/Savage

Good question. I'd go:

1. Cena/Bryan, SummerSlam 2013. *****. My worldwide MOTY.

2. Shawn Michaels/Mankind, In Your House 10: Mind Games 1996. *****. My worldwide MOTY.

3. Royal Rumble 1992. *****. My worldwide MOTY.

4. Cena/Punk, Money in the Bank 2011. *****. My worldwide MOTY.

5. Lesnar/Undertaker, No Mercy 2002. *****

Honourable mentions to Lesnar/Reigns at WrestleMania XXXI, *****. Steve Austin/Dude Love, Over The Edge 1998. Austin/Rock at WrestleMania X-Seven.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I don't think Kazuchika Okada will beat Kenta Kobashi's 98% record for WON HOF induction. Kazuchika Okada will be a first ballot hall of famer and rightly so. Be interesting to see if Tetsuya Naito, Kota Ibushi and Tomohiro Ishii get in. I think Tetsuya Naito's time will come as a draw, his huge popularity and the matches he's had. Kota Ibushi is a divisive figure, that'll work against him. Not sure he'll make it as I once thought. Tomohiro Ishii case is on match quality alone particularly in the G1 Climax as he's never held a world title to see how business is on top with Ishii. Thoughts?

Edited by The Natural

10 hours ago, Infinit said:

This made me lol. Didn't we have a member back in the day named G. Gordon Liddy?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNEKZJvpXRO/?igshid=17ae1r4h275bp

ha!  Yes, there was.  Was that Gancaraski?

One day I'll get around to starting that "people you remember from the old days of the board that aren't around anymore" thread.

• Like 2

The classic WON issue that just went up was from April 2004 and had this blurb

ECWA’s annual Super 8 tournament, the concept everyone has since copied on the indie scene (of course, it was copied from the J Cup in Japan) was won by Christopher Daniels on 4/3 in Wilmington, DE. Daniels was the first two-time winner, having also won in 2000. J.J. Dillon was there and did a speech about promoter Jim Kettner and his organization. Nicho came in from Mexico and even wore his old mask. Daniels beat Rocky Romero, Mike Kruel and finally Austin Aries to win. Aries looks to be one of the new indie stars of the year as he was rave reviews here and Gabe Sapolsky of ROH is going to start pushing him as well. Funny story is the New York wrestling bus that went to the show, they called someone at the CZW show and found out the show still had a few hours to go, so they went there in time to see the last four matches, including the crazy Teddy Hart vs. Trent Acid main event. Acid, who had quit CZW, is already back and was put into the main event unannounced. The sign he was back was that on 4/2 in Reading, PA, he was at the show, but in the guise of an outside wrestler heckling the matches. He beat Teddy Hart, with Zandig interfering, in a crazy match that the fans loved. Hart played heel, but was still cheered. They ended up fighting in the parking lot. Apparently there was an idea for one to run the other over with a car, but there were so many fans outside that they couldn’t do the spot. There was a power bomb by Hart off the roof of a car and through a table

So clearly @Rev Rayand @Pete have been Meltzer sources this entire time

(For context of this joke: http://deathvalleydriver.com/otr_super82004/)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2