DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

On 3/26/2021 at 12:45 AM, D.Z said:

NOOOOOOOOO i wanted NXT VS Impact rating warzzzz.

Reveal hidden contents

Not really.

We know that if it was to happen, you would keep us posted with the ratings newz. Well, maybe someday.

...Does Impact HAVE ratings anymore, by the way?

Other things that don't age well at all

Mick Foley's second or third book where the end third is dedicated to him less than subtly humblebragging about how much he donates to RAINN and talking about how great a cause it is....while making less than subtle references to masturbating over Tori Amos and mentioning that he initially only donated so he could have dinner with her, in a book where he's not even hiding how creepy he is to various WWE women of the time (Melina mostly).

Peak "...but I'm a nice guy"

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

Is this "Ratings in Name Only" situation? As in:  "Well, they don't actually garners what people would call "ratings" per se, but we don't know what else to call it at this point".

19 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Is this "Ratings in Name Only" situation? As in:  "Well, they don't actually garners what people would call "ratings" per se, but we don't know what else to call it at this point".

I think they usually manage a decent number given they are broadcasting on AXS and twitch but nothing noteworthy. Their last few PPVs seem to have sold well for what they usually have done. Doesn't seem like the AEW and NJPW partnerships have lead to much else.

2 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Other things that don't age well at all

Mick Foley's second or third book where the end third is dedicated to him less than subtly humblebragging about how much he donates to RAINN and talking about how great a cause it is....while making less than subtle references to masturbating over her and mentioning that he initially only donated so he could have dinner with her, in a book where he's not even hiding how creepy he is to various WWE women of the time (Melina mostly).

Peak "...but I'm a nice guy"

Had to be third or fourth. MIck Foley's first and best book, Have A Nice Day came out in 1999 and Foley is Good (2001). Read both of those and it was before Melina was in WWE. Looking at Mick Foley's Wikipedia entry, he wrote a fifth autobiography which I didn't know till now.

2 hours ago, dokdoyle said:

When you get almost an entire page of "You've chosen to ignore content by"; You know you've made the right choice.

Same.

If I never see a bucket of popcorn again, it'll be too soon.

In between the Philly indie scene being exposed for pest after pest after pest, the realization that AEW just isn't for me no matter how hard I try to get into it, and the fact that the wrong company died in 2001, I'm having a hard time hashing out whether or not wrestling is a past tense for me.

I used to worry about how I'd tell my daughter I don't feel safe taking her to shows anymore, but I'm pretty sure there ain't gonna be many shows around here to even go to after the pandemic ends anyway.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, EVA said:

Our man lurked for 7 years, waiting for THIS moment.

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You waited seven years to post this??

Reminds me of when "anti-PC" cite Blazing Saddles as something that could NEVER be made nowadays... You mean the movie with the black guy and Jew winning out over the racist rich white guy? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/25/2021 at 1:52 AM, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

I'd go with Abdullah The Butcher but at least he's in some great tags. I havent watched a Khali match since 05 so I might be forgetting some carryjobs involving him.

Then you missed his entire WWE run! of which there are plenty of fun carryjobs from the top guys of the time. (Cena, HHH, Batista, Orton, etc.)

That would be amazing! 

I remember rewatching WCW 99 TV shows with a friend just too see the Millennium Man run. At one point we were asking ourselves when Sid would be on, that very moment there was a "Boring! Where is Sid?" sign and of course shortly thereafter Sid came out and wrecked some guys who were in a match against each other. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

That would be amazing! 

I remember rewatching WCW 99 TV shows with a friend just too see the Millennium Man run. At one point we were asking ourselves when Sid would be on, that very moment there was a "Boring! Where is Sid?" sign and of course shortly thereafter Sid came out and wrecked some guys who were in a match against each other. 

The best parts of the unofficial Owen Hart tribute show WCW did outside of the tribute match was Rey and Dean having a killer opening match and also the absolutely ridiculousness of the show long Goldberg and Sid parked car shenanigans. When I re-watched it recently, I had no idea the "GOLDDDBERGGGGGGGGG!" thing was on the same show as the tribute match. I feel like I got two things for the price of one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yeah, Sid high-key is one of the best hammy actors in all of pro wrestling history.

I was gonna say the same thing except it's B-movie huge villain or the bodyguard for the main villain in a B-movie action comedy. 

2 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

I completely forgot that was the same show.

The stuff that I failed to mention on the show wasn't too bad so it had to be one of the last good Nitros before it turned into an absolute dumpster fire for the next year and a half.

20 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was gonna say the same thing except it's B-movie huge villain or the bodyguard for the main villain in a B-movie action comedy. 

It's kinda weird that Sid didn't have the same sort of straight-to-video secondary actor career that other pro wrestlers did during and immediately after that boom period.

In general, it's kinda weird that Sid wasn't bigger. I guess it's just bad timing - he was (for me) the dude that marks the transition from the New Generation to the much, much, much, much, etc. hotter Attitude Era, but he left before he could really reap the stardom benefits of that. Then he went back to WCW basically right as it was off its nWo-era peak. His timing was impeccably bad. 

Honestly, you combine that with the scissors incident leading to his earlier WCW run getting nixed and the WWF's refusal to just keep him face (at the very least) post-'92 Rumble when in retrospect, that would have been the best move, and his career is a tale of near-misses. He should have been a bigger star than he ended up being. Maybe not a household name, but on that Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels/Razor Ramon tier where he gets name-dropped more often by people who remember watching as a kid. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It's kinda weird that Sid didn't have the same sort of straight-to-video secondary actor career that other pro wrestlers did during and immediately after that boom period.

Sid thinks very highly of himself. In that era, if you were probably going to hire someone it would be a person who wouldn't get mad or complain about long hours on the set. Sid Eudy strikes me as someone who wouldn't have that deposition. Hell, I'm generally surprised Vader based on reputation was able to land Boy Meets World. I'm guessing that was a get in, get out thing that only took a day or two to film. Point is why hire a Sid when you can find another big lug who is just happy to be an actor and pay him whatever versus a guy like Sid who came into wrestling and was making money early on.

In general, it's kinda weird that Sid wasn't bigger. I guess it's just bad timing - he was (for me) the dude that marks the transition from the New Generation to the much, much, much, much, etc. hotter Attitude Era, but he left before he could really reap the stardom benefits of that. Then he went back to WCW basically right as it was off its nWo-era peak. His timing was impeccably bad. 

Honestly, you combine that with the scissors incident leading to his earlier WCW run getting nixed and the WWF's refusal to just keep him face (at the very least) post-'92 Rumble when in retrospect, that would have been the best move, and his career is a tale of near-misses. He should have been a bigger star than he ended up being. Maybe not a household name, but on that Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels/Razor Ramon tier where he gets name-dropped more often by people who remember watching as a kid. 

Yeah, it was timing and Sid being Sid. I brought this up with Bam Bam some weeks back. If Bigelow didn't jump back and forth a million times early in his career, he could have capitalized on the window he had to be a superstar. I think by 1995, the book was already written on Bigelow and the die had already been cast just like it might have been for say...a Barry Windham in 1993. You've already gotten the best out of him, and sadly, he's been on television long enough where people don't see him higher than what's he been slotted. Sid could have been that, but being one of the guys on top in an era where WWF was rebuilding but not there yet sorta revived him. 

With that said, his window like you said was 1992 when Hogan was being phased out. I think the bicep injury and the fact Sid didn't understand he could be way bigger as a face than heel killed that. I've went back and watched some of the syndicated televisions for WCW when he was with the Skyscrapers. He was ridiculously over. For him to fall into WWF's lap at the time could have helped their sagging business after the Warrior push to the top of the mountain fizzled. He was the guy. It just never worked out. 

That would be the story of his career up until the leg injury in 2001: he's either going to get fired or quit before they can do something with him. He was actually in the right place at the right time when they decided (aka Shawn bitched to Vince about Vader) to pivot from Vader to Sid in late 96 to feud with Michaels. However, the whole being injured or not being injured thing in the late spring/early summer of 97 was the same deal as before. He's going to find creative ways to not be a part of the picture. I think Sid always assumed that based on his size and popularity that the paydays wouldn't stop coming and he could always go to the highest bidder. In actuality, the fact he didn't become the replacement for Hogan earlier in the 90s made his chances to stay relevant very finite. At some point, putting up with his shit was going to wear on people. When WWF was heading towards the end of their rebuild, he became very expendable. And the fact WCW had a giant 1998 business wise despite their creative woes and miscues, it made not signing him very smart. That's why he had to show up in ECW and basically parlay that into going to a desperate WCW. He had done himself a grave disservice. He became another story in pro wrestling of what could have been. 

• Like 2