DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

16 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

i don't believe they should censor the Piper racist shit because that opens the door for more edits.  

You're on your own with that nonsense. There is a lot of stuff that should go (basically a lot of Goldust related/adjacent stuff that I talked about a few weeks ago even before the Peacock sale), but the Piper Hot Rod/Hot Scot blackface stuff has gotta go. It should have been gone a LONG time ago. The fact it took another party to finally remove it doesn't give me great hope about WWE (hell, wrestling in general) surrounding issues of race. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

There is a lot of stuff that should go

Do we really need to go back to the screen turning black and white when someone bled or Austin's fingers being blurred?  i wouldn't sign up for a movie channel streamer if they showed me the cable edit.   i wouldn't sign up for Apple music if they gave me nothing but radio edits. 

A disclaimer is enough.  There's already been discussion of them removing violence..  This board had high praise for Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt.  That was on cable with a TV-14 attached.  That's all there needs to be.  A pay service doesn't need to be telling the consumer what they shouldn't see. 

i don't want  to see Piper vs. Brown.  i don't want to see McMahon being a racist.  My point is it opens the door for them to remove Starrcade '87. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Or worse starrcade 85, where like all but 2 matches have juice. 

That's nearly the only reason why i am a subscriber.  The current PPV's are mostly ehh..  sometimes worse.  if they plan on editing out all the violence on the old WCW/NWA shows then i have no reason to stay around. 

i'm fine if they want to get rid of highly offensive material but history shows that's not where it would end.  that's all i have to say about it. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 9:26 PM, The Natural said:

For the sneakerheads (that's the term, right?) we have here.

Appreciate this, simply for the aside about confirming what shoes Jey is wearing.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

i don't want  to see Piper vs. Brown.  i don't want to see McMahon being a racist.  My point is it opens the door for them to remove Starrcade '87. 

One has nothing to do with the other. You can eliminate the racism without infringing on anything else. So apparently, you do want to see the racism. As a black man, I definitely don't want to see it. I definitely appalled you even said some bullshit like that.

• Like 2

And oh...speaking of questionable content.

I happened to be watching No Mercy 1999 (the UK one from May before Over the Edge) a few days ago. During the makeshift bout between Tori and Nicole Bass, Jim Ross refers to Nicole as a shemale not once but TWICE after the match to the point where JERRY FUCKING LAWLER is aghast and taken aback. And it had nothing to do with anything. He just said it in the context of nothing.

You can remove stuff like that because it has NO PLACE on any network.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Or worse starrcade 85, where like all but 2 matches have juice. 

What the fuck does this have to do with Roddy Piper wearing blackface?

Second, you're the same dude who said something to the effect that people should be able find videos anywhere of any quality. I'm pretty sure you can find some third hand copy of Black Bart and Manny Fernandez having a shitty bloodbath that's been on the internet since 2004. Again, you can have that without you know...the over the top racism which definitely needs to be removed. 

The fuck is wrong with y'all?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yes, you just said you did motherfucker.

When WWE went TV-PG any archived content they had where someone had bladed or there was some sort of unapproved violence or language it was edited down or completely removed.  That happened.  NBC could (and has been rumored) to do the same thing and that's all i said on the topic. 

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

that's all i said on the topic. 

i don't believe they should censor the Piper racist shit 

Do you not understand how abhorrent this statement is? Or do you just live in your own bubble?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Do you not understand how abhorrent this statement is? Or do you just live in your own bubble?

Why did you edit out the full post? The post was about censoring.  The post wasn't about race or homophobia or any one issue where WWE/writers/Vince have embarrassed themselves and the company and hurt people. i've discussed on here for years how awful they are.. i can't stand McMahon and they really haven't gotten much better either. You could argue why do i still watch or why does anyone and i don't have a great answer for that.  "i always have"  "i love certain performers.." i certainly don't want to see those matches and segments with Piper/McMahon etc. or anything that resembles it. 

i didn't mean to offend you or anyone else so i'm sorry for the misunderstanding.  i feel i've been here well long enough for everyone to understand that wasn't my intention. 

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Why did you edit out the full post?

Because everything after that is irrelevant. Extremely irrelevant. Once you say some stupid and vile bullshit, there is NOTHING you can say to justify it. 

You don't get to pick and choose what you believe you should not be censored when what's being censored affects A LOT of people. I don't care if you feel your pretend wrestling is under attack. Do they not teach social science classes where you're from? How hard is it to realize what you said is not only dumb but dangerous and problematic? 

Moreover, I believe this is what you call a false dilemma. It should not cross your mind that removing racism is in essence removing vital content or controlling something. In actuality, it's content (if you can call it that) that should have never been there in the first place. Same with other hideous and insidious things that's insurrected with pro wrestling at times. Plus, knowing that, you knew that's a fight pro wrestling was never going to win because it's done that to itself. No outside party told wrestling promoters to do those things. You made that bed, and now you got to lie in it. For wrestling fans to feel their precious baby is being attacked, it's absolutely absurd. No one is trying to take pro wrestling from you. More importantly, if you can't see why those things should be removed promptly, there is a WHOLE LOT of personal growth you have to do. You should probably get to work on that.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

In actuality, it's content (if you can call it that) that should have never been there in the first place. Same with other hideous and insidious things that's insurrected with pro wrestling at times.

Agreed. The content shouldn't exist.  But McMahon hasn't changed. They will comb through the footage but he's always been and always will be a racist; now the racism is more subtle or behind closed doors..it's not as out in the open but it's there. Of course it's there.  Linda served in Trump's cabinet.. both accepted the rhetoric and agree with it.  We've all discussed the question of why are we giving these people money and there's not a good answer to that other than "we always have. We love wrestling."  That's veering a little off topic but not much because the same guy who thought the Piper thing was cool is still in charge and still funding people like Ron DeSantis. 

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Agreed. The content shouldn't exist.  But McMahon hasn't changed. They will comb through the footage but he's always been and always will be a racist; now the racism is more subtle or behind closed doors..it's not as out in the open but it's there. Of course it's there.  Linda served in Trump's cabinet.. both accepted the rhetoric and agree with it.  We've all discussed the question of why are we giving these people money and there's not a good answer to that other than "we always have. We love wrestling."  That's veering a little off topic but not much because the same guy who thought the Piper thing was cool is still in charge and still funding people like Ron DeSantis. 

If only there were other pro wrestling promotions we could follow and support and spend money on. Promotions not run by hateful assholes. Maybe some day...

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

If only there were other pro wrestling promotions we could follow and support and spend money on. Promotions not run by hateful assholes. Maybe some day...

Good luck with that. Maybe you can find some on your side of the world. ?

• Haha 1

Just now, El Gran Gordi said:

i do i've bought every AEW PPV except one but they aren't without their problems.  Jericho has said some pretty offensive things of late and he's in a position of power. i do believe they are trying to be better and trying to be inclusive..  

i don't discuss my job on here much but i do not live in a bubble,  i see what's going on..  my background working alongside DDS you wouldn't believe the stories i could tell about how unfairly those with disabilities are treated in this state and across the board unless you are a white male. All we do is continue to fight for the people with intellectual disabilities because they don't have a voice.. in many cases they don't have parents. i went on to help canvass for Chris Murphy and Jahana Hayes among others. That's not a "hey look guys!" post; i've been on the ground in this state and i want a better state and better country. That's how we do it by getting these people out of office and hopefully put people in place who will do what's right. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Because...

---

Entrance aside, this is great because it has the old school tunnel pre-entrance, and Vince on commentary. Say what you want, but "getting his ass kicked weekly" Vince on commentary (booking too) is my favorite and I love this "throw it to the wall and see what sticks" era of WWF.

That Exploding Barbed Wire Match Pyro at the end is my favourite wrestling Pyro ever I think. 

I love the match and I love the old garden. I remember a woman going "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when the three count was made, screaming as if she had just lost her child. Sid is always awkward in his movements, but he will always be a sentimental favourite of mine. 

• Like 4