DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

41 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Putting a guy who spent a year or two or whatever trading wins in the midcard to little fanfare into your company and having that dude be highly competitive for major titles just makes your company's competition look wack. 

That argument made sense in the old days, but it not sure it holds up nowadays when the entire audience knows it's fake. I mean, Theodore Logan was not exactly written as a badass, but that doesn't seemed to have stopped fans from accepting Keanu Reeves as an action star.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dog said:

Man, I don't know. Fenix has main evented against both Archer and Omega. Even grumpy ol' JR thinks he's great. I don't see anyone in AEW thinking he's "filler."

Now but he was off to a slow start for a while.  They should have been pushing him as a top guy from the beginning.  He's the most exciting wrestler maybe in the world.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

That argument made sense in the old days, but it not sure it holds up nowadays when the entire audience knows it's fake. I mean, Theodore Logan was not exactly written as a badass, but that doesn't seemed to have stopped fans from accepting Keanu Reeves as an action star.

I also don't think that analogy works entirely either. Pro wrestling is its own bastard thing where a combination of casting choices and real athletic ability matter in a way that they don't for movies or competitive sports. 

That's why a 50+ Liam Neeson can be a legit action star who beats up men much younger than him in a film and get complete audience buy-in, but a near-50 Edge beating Roman Reigns would get shit on. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

There's a difference between "sign a guy just because he was in WWE regardless of what value he has" and "sign a guy who is incredibly talented who just happened to be in the WWE (and who may have been under/misused)". The former gets you a WCW/TNA situation with guys who have some name recognition but bring nothing to the table in terms of in ring ability, which leads to more talented and underutilized people not being showcased to their full potential. The latter gets you people like FTR, Miro, and Moxley getting to refresh their characters and work on the level they have the ability to.

I like Andrade and would love to see him in AEW, however there's a good chance he just gets lost in the shuffle. Not to mention they've already got a lot of good people they aren't doing much with. ROH had gotten really stale for me so I quit keeping up with it after covid hit. In the past few weeks I've been giving it another try and the lack of an audience really puts a damper on it. The roster and matches were pretty solid though. It wouldn't be a bad place for him to go once fans are allowed back in, especially if he can work at the top of the card and gets a chance to go to Japan. Let him do that for a while, get his status back up, then see if there's a spot in AEW for him.

• Like 2

The shit he did with Rey Mysterio, especially the ladder match, was in the ballpark. It might've been as good as the Gargano match if given the same amount of time...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Just because people know it's fake, doesn't mean it doesn't have to make sense.

I mean, if onscreen credibility is an issue...

The other guy is headlining WrestleMania 37 for the WWE Championship.

It's long been established that Fowler doesn't like him back to his La Sombra days (which is his prerogative). Why everyone is arguing with him, I don't know. ?

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, TheVileOne said:

I've enjoyed chatting with Fowler. I don't agree with him 100%, but I don't think he's being massively unreasonable.

No, his opinion. People trying to convince him otherwise is the aggravating part. ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

It's long been established that Fowler doesn't like him back to his La Sombra days (which is his prerogative). Why everyone is arguing with him, I don't know. ?

I mean, who does that? Just fixating on a wrestler you don't like and argue ad nauseum  with people who think that wrestler is great? I could never....

• Haha 8

Re: how AEW has booked the Lucha Bros

You have to keep in mind that they missed a lot of time between the pandemic and injuries.  Pentagon missed like 6 months in the past year.  Fenix was around more after the initial lockdown, but also kept getting hurt after that.  Tough to book anything significant for guys if they’re not around.  

I think what you’ve seen for the past however many months since PAC came back is closer to the original idea of how the Death Triangle unit was going to be the next step for their development.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The correct response is to make fun of Brian for Bobby Roode. There's a way to handle these things.

GLORIOUS

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think what you’ve seen for the past however many months since PAC came back is closer to the original idea of how the Death Triangle unit was going to be the next step for their development.

And on Wednesday, there's Fenix and Penta teaming with Laredo Kid against the Bucks and Cutler. Pac's ankle is hurt.

That BSS with Orton was good. Didn't realize WWE let swear words pass through during initial airings. It was weird hearing Orton actually say fuck and shit only to see them semi-bleep shit later when I had to leave and re-enter the show later.

Had no idea Taker had tried to put Orton over like that until then. Its neat that Orton wants to have a moment like that with the current roster.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Every time I hear the NXT PPV's name, I can't help but think of the UK reality TV show where a ballet dancer had to try to convince a panel of experts that he was actually a grizzled professional wrestler. It aired 20 years ago and I haven't seen since but I recall they kept kayfabe when narrating the match. The gimmick he chose? The Dandy Highwayman. 

Spoiler

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Custos said:

Every time I hear the NXT PPV's name, I can't help but think of the UK reality TV show where a ballet dancer had to try to convince a panel of experts that he was actually a grizzled professional wrestler. It aired 20 years ago and I haven't seen since but I recall they kept kayfabe when narrating the match. The gimmick he chose? The Dandy Highwayman. 

Hide contents

Cheers, @Custos!