DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

I haven't seen much WCW. I was not trying to turn this thread into a debate on AEW's roster. Again, I just personally don't enjoy it so I'm not someone to really touch on it. It always appears to me that there are a million people on their shows. I get they aren't long term deals but I tried to watch Dark a could times and was fatigued when it had 13+ matches. It's just not for me. 

I am curious how soon Andrade turns up somewhere, given COVID restrictions. Not sure if ROH already filmed their 19th Anniversary Show that airs Friday or if he could even appear due to restrictions in place. 

• Like 2

There's a 90 day no compete for every wrestler released by WWE. So end of June is the soonest he can appear for another promotion.

The only people without 90 day no compete clauses are the ones who let their contract expire. When the contract ends organically you are free to do as you please. When WWE cancels the contract (early release) there is always a 90 day no compete to prevent someone showing up tomorrow when the news is still hot.

50 minutes ago, Raziel said:

SlicedWrestling is a joke/parody account originally made to rip on SliceWrestling who either C&P's others stuff and claims it as his own or just makes stuff up.

So yes, it's fake.

It's not REALLY a fake though, since that clip is directly taken from this:

They've been pausing the video on chairshots on their YouTube channel for quite a while now.

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

I don't get Andrade's appeal, I'm not a fan of his. But to be fair, I didn't watch him in NXT. That being said, I hope both him and Zelina don't make it to AEW.

Well, given you only saw him get grossly misused on the main roster, your opinion is understandable.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Casey said:

It's not REALLY a fake though, since that clip is directly taken from this:

They've been pausing the video on chairshots on their YouTube channel for quite a while now.

Well yeah, but YouTube for free isn't Peacock for pay.   

That and Sliced went and flat out said he took the clip as a joke that people bit on.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

There's a 90 day no compete for every wrestler released by WWE. So end of June is the soonest he can appear for another promotion.

The only people without 90 day no compete clauses are the ones who let their contract expire. When the contract ends organically you are free to do as you please. When WWE cancels the contract (early release) there is always a 90 day no compete to prevent someone showing up tomorrow when the news is still hot.

Except the rumor from Dave Meltzer is that Andrade has no no-compete clause.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Well yeah, but YouTube for free isn't Peacock for pay.   

That and Sliced went and flat out said he took the clip as a joke that people bit on.

I could'a swore that the Network did the same thing with chairshots, but I also couldn't remember if Over the Edge '99 was on there so *shrug*

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Damn if that's true, it's a severe departure from their norm. And there would have to be a reason for it. I guess we'll see in the next week or so if he pops up anywhere.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

AEW has a large roster for only one main show, however, they ain't at WCW levels of unsustainable roster bloat. Once they moved to two hour Nitros in May 1996 and then eventually three hours, it was like wrestling potluck. You wanna see The Barbarian vs. Super Calo or Roadblock vs. Jimmy Graffiti or Mongo McMichael vs. Villano V? You got it, buddy.

I'll bet there are a lot of people on this board who would like to see Barbarian vs. Super Calo.  I'd be down with Mongo in a gauntlet match against various Villanos myself.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anecdotally, it felt like back in the 80s, you were lucky to see everyone on the JCP roster if you could only watch the 2 syndicated shows. And that’s a roster of maybe 20 or 25 people. A lot of times you saw a guy win a squash on one show and do a promo on the other. You didn’t always even get a Dusty or Flair promo every week. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

If signing La Sombra means you have a greater chance of signing Charlotte, then you fucking sign La Sombra. 

IMHO if you view an Andrade signing as a backdoor for getting Charlotte Flair, that just seems like a cause for future problems. I doubt Andrade just wants a career being known as Charlotte's significant other.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Plus those no-compete clauses probably would not hold up in court anyway. I mean it's the opposite of being an independent contractor. (For example when Lesnar tried to challenge his no-compete (which obviously had a much longer duration, but I doubt the duration of the clause really mattered), WWE quickly caved, probably knowing that they would have no prayer in court and a ruling would have set a bad precedent for them.) It's just that no one usually tries to challenge that clause as if you are let go, you are still getting paid for those three months which for most people is preferable to a legal battle just to actually get paid less (which until a couple of years ago was a given except for developmental talent).

• Like 2

Here is the thing though: Ideally, you're looking to sign talent and not have it be a retreat spot for couples.

Moreover, you take on the good and bad of those relationships. As much I would want the best talent, I'm not trying to bring a toxic relationship or what could turn into a toxic relationship into my company. You have to look at those people as individuals and not as some package deal. 

Plus, what has shown people WWE is willing to let some of these high profile names go just because their spouse/significant other went elsewhere? It makes no sense when we know WWE doesn't conduct business like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Damn if that's true, it's a severe departure from their norm. And there would have to be a reason for it. 

Well, he's Mr. Charlotte Flair, so....

No idea if this ties into his sudden release, but there was a rumor a couple days ago that Charlotte was being removed from the WM poster and that she and the front office were at odds over Andrade.  Charlotte is presumably far more important than Andrade.

Can wrestlers opt out of the no-compete clause?  I could be wrong, but I'm thought wrestlers could decline the 90-day clause and become a free agent immediately (they wouldn't be paid for the 90 days, of course).  I assume I got that idea from something Metlzer said at some point.

Edited by Eoae

4 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Dave is reporting that Andrade doesn't have a no-compete clause

I hate to be the guy who looks too deep into it but You know who's name was not tagged. If the main person in charged knew how to book him or just book him the same way he was booked in NXT. For my liking, I enjoyed his entire body of work from an inring aspect but I figured HHH or Heyman would have enough influence as far as how to book him

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Well, he's Mr. Charlotte Flair, so....

No idea if this ties into his sudden release, but there was a rumor a couple days ago that Charlotte was being removed from the WM poster and that she and the front office were at odds over Andrade.  Charlotte is presumably far more important than Andrade.

Can wrestlers opt out of the no-compete clause?  I could be wrong, but I'm thought wrestlers could decline the 90-day clause and become a free agent immediately (they wouldn't be paid for the 90 days, of course).  I assume I got that idea from something Metlzer said at some point.

Generally, if the company decides to cut someone, they have the option to decline the 90 severance/no-compete.

When somebody asks for their release, WWE has generally attached the 90 day no compete as a condition for granting the release. If they didn't this time, it's a definite deviation from normal.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Generally, if the company decides to cut someone, they have the option to decline the 90 severance/no-compete.

When somebody asks for their release, WWE has generally attached the 90 day no compete as a condition for granting the release. If they didn't this time, it's a definite deviation from normal.

Yeah I thought it was "no compete and still get paid for 90 days" or "no more money but you're free to go wherever". Isn't that why Raven popped up in TNA so soon after WWE let him go?

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, worldcupfever said:

I'd be down with Mongo in a gauntlet match against various Villanos myself.

Would you rather:

- fight five Villano-sized Mongos, or

- fight one Mongo-sized Villano

• Haha 5