DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

You beat me by a half hour doc - I had quoted @Spontaneousso I could get into it, and then saw your post right under him. Fuuuuuck Yuengling. Anti-labor and very possibly anti-semitic and anti-LGBT to boot. 

Bigoted, anti-labor, producing a very bland product designed for mass consumption by being as dull and unchallenging as possible.  Yuengling or WWE?

37 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The last page or two of this thread basically supports my previously-made argument that the worst thing to happen to pro wrestling in the United States was not WWE destroying all serious competition or too many fanboi marks getting into the business themselves, but the invention of social media. If I ran a company, no one would be Tweeting or Facebooking by rule. 

Social media killed any sense of kayfabe long before Twitter or Facebook, when we had Samoa Joe of all people writing on MySpace this vague, feels-filled stuff about HHH saying mean things about him. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

You beat me by a half hour doc - I had quoted @Spontaneousso I could get into it, and then saw your post right under him. Fuuuuuck Yuengling. Anti-labor and very possibly anti-semitic and anti-LGBT to boot. 

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Bigoted, anti-labor, producing a very bland product designed for mass consumption by being as dull and unchallenging as possible.  Yuengling or WWE?

It's like a match made in Hell, isn't it?  One's super easy for me to boycott, the other...not quite as much.  But speaking of wrestling and beer...

HAPPY 3:16 DAY!

tenor.gif

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wasn't Pillman Sr. about to be involved in right wing talk radio? I seem to recall someone from that group being friends with him. So, maybe the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Eh, that's hard to believe. When Pillman died, right wing talk radio consisted of Rush, Glen Beck, and Hannity. I can't see anyone giving a shit about a drugged up wrestler doing talk radio.

2 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

I had hoped that after Hana's death and other incidents that some people would learn to consider what they say online. But nope, people are awful. 

Well on one hand you have people that were “radicalized” by social media leading them to act like twats and exposing themselves. 

On the other hand you have people who have always been twats we may have never known exposing themselves. 

Keeping the artist separate from the art is dead. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RRR said:

Well on one hand you have people that were “radicalized” by social media leading them to act like twats and exposing themselves. 

On the other hand you have people who have always been twats we may have never known exposing themselves. 

Keeping the artist separate from the art is dead. 

I still watch Klaus Kinski films for leisure.  Probably says something negative about me as a person.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nate said:

I still watch Klaus Kinski films for leisure.  Probably says something negative about me as a person.

We'd need to know more. For example, if you watch Klaus Kinski films where Werner Herzog is clearly trying to kill him, obviously that makes you a) an awesome person and b) probably a fan of Japanese deathmatches.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Well, Pillman was a regular on a radio show in Cincinnati (Bill Armstrong?)  And given it was the mid 90s, the odds are it skewed conservative. 

I think that was the guy on the WWE Pillman doc, which is where I heard about this. 

Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo are so good that I can excuse Herzog. Also, watching My Best Fiend helps. 

• Like 1

Now you Commie fucks are hating on Yuengling? 

God, does anyone actually talk about wrestling any more in between all the virtue signaling around here?

"No politics" my arse. Whining about QAnons and whatnot when some of you really think the 4th Reich is ready to spring up any second if you don't preach the good word of Rachel Maddow on your wrestling discussion board. Some wrestlers don't agree with the Church of the Donkey on Covid? I DON'T FUCKING CARE.

God, the worst thing the internet's done in the last 20 years is make the people into their own propagandists...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Now you Commie fucks are hating on Yuengling? 

God, does anyone actually talk about wrestling any more in between all the virtue signaling around here?

"No politics" my arse. Whining about QAnons and whatnot when some of you really think the 4th Reich is ready to spring up any second if you don't preach the good word of Rachel Maddow on your wrestling discussion board. Some wrestlers don't agree with the Church of the Donkey on Covid? I DON'T FUCKING CARE.

God, the worst thing the internet's done in the last 20 years is make the people into their own propagandists...

Yuengling sucks outside of politics.

Anyway, you'll get over it, sunshine. The Comedian was tough enough to take getting thrown out of a high-rise window like a man, you can live with the fact that people vocally disagree with whatever shit you believe without crying about...uh, Rachel Maddow? OK, that's an interesting boogeyman you've conjured up...all over a message board. 

Stop virtue signaling about how you'd never virtue signal and talk wrestling or whatever, but quit whining. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, The Natural said:

Check the featured WWE developmental talent out and what each went on to do.

If WWE gave us THIS kind of stuff on a weekly basis their stars would be so much bigger/brighter.

This makes a super human weight trainer like John Cena feel like a dude at my local gym. Someone I could see and get tips from. Someone I can RELATE too. I'm way more invested in this match (No idea if it's Rock 1 or Rock 2) than I was with the Fruity Pebbles, "See ya in Hollywood", You are a part timer blah blah BS they actually put on RAW at the time.

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Well, Pillman was a regular on a radio show in Cincinnati (Bill Armstrong?)  And given it was the mid 90s, the odds are it skewed conservative. 

Most decent sized media markets at the time tried to have their own local Rush Limbo or Howard Stern, Pillman could have fit into either slot. 

Considering the levels of work within work that Pillman Sr's gimmick had, there's every chance that his big plan was to do Stephen Colbert's fake right ridiculousness routine, and see if anyone noticed. Besides which, if someone in 90s America was trying to make it as a leftist shockjock, would they actually be able to get any work?

• Like 2