DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

4 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

We live in a world where people dismiss the real anger, frustration, and protest of others as "performative outrage," so I'm not typically a huge fan of that term, but I will apply it here: The worst part of the "performative outrage as product" era that we live in is Jim Cornette, a guy with a fabulous historical knowledge of the business and a bunch of genuinely interesting insights into the tropes and strategies behind booking a good show, finding that there's just more money in doing a Tucker Carlson impression, but for pro wrestling. 

I remember thinking while watching Dark Side of the Ring, that there’s an alternate universe where we get that version of Cornette all the time and he has this amazing podcast full of awesome historic analysis and stories.  What a sad disappointment this guy turned out to be.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The good thing about them breaking up his shows into segments on youtube is that it allows someone to skip all the homophobia, racism, sexism, and outright cruel commentary to get to the few gems of decent material.

FTFY

Seriously, the guy is carny, bigoted trash.  Acting like it’s just a matter of AEW or politics is giving him much more leeway than he deserves.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Their prior relationship was acknowledged during that feud, but having a prior sexual relationship with another man does not make someone a slut.  Penelope and Joey were never paired together in AEW; she’s always been committed to Kip.

Very early on she was paired with Joey, but she did eventually turn on him and joined up with Kip, which is when the two started to feud.

But yeah, Penelope’s character on TV isn’t a “slut” at all.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Very early on she was paired with Joey, but she did eventually turn on him and joined up with Kip, which is when the two started to feud.

But yeah, Penelope’s character on TV isn’t a “slut” at all.

I’m like 99% certain the only time they ever appeared together on AEW TV was at the first Double or Nothing show (which I had forgotten) but they were split after that with no storyline reason given.  Penelope didn’t appear with Janela during any of the summer shows and wouldn’t return until All Out, was presented as a solo act for a brief while, then paired with Kip some time in November.  The Kip/Janela feud didn’t happen until early 2020.  The feud was over her history with Janela, but there was never actually a turn.  It was almost like a retcon feud, as I recall—people were very confused about that whole situation, and they did the feud to try to explain it.

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The good thing about them breaking up his shows into segments on youtube is that it allows someone to skip unwanted subjects (be it politics or AEW). 

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

Or all of it.

This goes back to what we discussing in the Viceland Doc thread. It's the argument of irritating or annoying (a Conrad Thompson, a Dave Meltzer, etc.) versus straight up toxic (Cornette). I feel like if Cornette didn't have his history and track record of toxicity, people would be able to track down individual segments on Youtube here and there just for the knowledge. However, it comes to point where people aren't going to be able to separate Jim Cornette (the library of wrestling knowledge) with the other Jim Cornette (the shitty human being). And for stuff he might deserve the benefit of doubt on, he's not going to get because he already burned all that goodwill up. 

Thus, presently, the people who are going to listen to him are folks who already consciously or unconsciously acknowledged the shitty human being part. The "just avoid the parts you don't want to listen to" doesn't really jive anymore because we've reached the point of no return. At this point, you really don't need the excuse of knowledge or levity to listen to him anymore. There is nothing shitty he can do to justify you NOT listening. Nothing. 

Personally, I've noticed this not just with Cornette but a lot of the semi-popular or popular podcasts that I either listen to or stopped listening to. People are smart enough to realize whether or not the person behind the mic is a terrible person. It's just that some have a line of demarcation and others just don't have one. We've seen and heard enough to know anybody who listens to Cornette is going to be the latter. Whether you wanna listen to his IN THE NEWS comp or just the Drive-Thru, it doesn't change that you have already made that decision. You can't paint it as anything different. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I'm really glad people aren't going after Penelope Ford for her comment:

he lets people fuck his wife while he watches, so what does he think of her... but she’s probably the only person besides himself he feels bad for because his little dick can’t please her after five blue chews & needs other men to do it for him

under the guise of "don't kink-shame or insult his penis size."  Yes, we shouldn't kink shame anyone, but if you're calling women sluts, insinuating that any male on the roster you dislike is gay (like that's an insult in 2021), insinuating Japanese women are nothing but fetish fuck dolls, etc etc, then I feel like you lose all those normal protections of civil commentary.  Golden rule and all that.

And please let's not forget that Cornette and his wife allegedly abused Cornette's power and position to get guys into these cuckold scenarios in exchange for pushes.  He's a low-rent hillbilly mudshow Harvey Weinstein.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 10

22 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I saw someone on Twitter describe the Cornette sycophants as "internet hall monitors" and I can't stop laughing. 

His fans are annoying as fuck. Anytime a person starts to parrot back any of his phrases like "lost the plot" or "outlaw mudshow", I immediately tune out the rest of what they have to say. You know exactly what the rest of their statement is going to be so there's no point in listening further.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

His fans are annoying as fuck. Anytime a person starts to parrot back any of his phrases like "lost the plot" or "outlaw mudshow", I immediately tune out the rest of what they have to say. You know exactly what the rest of their statement is going to be so there's no point in listening further.

And what's weird to me is that it seems to skew kinda young? Like, these aren't old Crockett fans in their 50s or something, not that that would make it okay, either, but at least more understandable. These guys are like a shitty little group of pro-wrestling Alex P. Keatons

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

And what's weird to me is that it seems to skew kinda young? Like, these aren't old Crockett fans in their 50s or something, not that that would make it okay, either, but at least more understandable. These guys are like a shitty little group of pro-wrestling Alex P. Keatons

That's something I noticed as well. It's not like older fans who grew up watching Cornette in his prime. It seems to be lots of guys in their 20s and 30s. Their exposure to pre-podcast Cornette likely would've just been only those handful of times he showed up on screen in the Attitude era or whenever he showed up onscreen in TNA or ROH.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Is "lost the plot" a Cornette-ism? Goddammit, did he ruin a perfectly good turn of phrase for me? 

This is terrible news. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

That's something I noticed as well. It's not like older fans who grew up watching Cornette in his prime. It seems to be lots of guys in their 20s and 30s. Their exposure to pre-podcast Cornette likely would've just been only those handful of times he showed up on screen in the Attitude era or whenever he showed up onscreen in TNA or ROH.

Well, hating Russo is something that has transcended online wrestling fandom. When it came to online shoot interview clips and that specifically, he's your Huckleberry. Nothing beat grossly out of shape from a decade plus of dining on fast food burgers and consuming whole Dominos pizzas w/ 2 liters in hotels while on the road Jim Cornette railing on Vince Russo among other folks he's had run-ins with. Between that and being one third of the "It's Still Real Dammit" clip, he's extended that 15 minutes of "fame" enough to become an even more dedicated caricature of himself. 

Think about it...if you were ten to twelve years old when YouTube became a thing, you are a grown adult who is a few summers shy from being 30. 

• Like 2

Cheers, @Technico Support on Jim Cornette. Cornette's fucking rubbish for his homophobic, sexist, racist out of date warped POV. Corny also used the derogatory spasticness which I find offensive with Cerebral Palsy and even it wasn't a part of me, I'd still feel that way. Fuck Jim Cornette.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Is "lost the plot" a Cornette-ism? Goddammit, did he ruin a perfectly good turn of phrase for me? 

This is terrible news. 

Yeah it's a phrase he drops pretty frequently when discussing AEW or anything he dislikes.

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

What is an outlaw mudshow?  I have never heard that term before.

I don't listen to Cornette's podcast, obviously.

I don't know what it is, but I still have a suspicion that I've attended many an outlaw mudshow back when I used to attend live events (I haven't been to a live wrestling event in close to a decade).

It’s probably wishful thinking, but I’d like to think the young dopey fans are the ones who send in the AEW questions and the old Crockett/Mid South fans are the ones who send in the historical questions. 

it would be nice to get more things again like the long history of JCP from a couple weeks ago. Ironically, it’s a lot like the Observer these days, where the obits are the best things being done. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eoae said:

What is an outlaw mudshow?  I have never heard that term before.

I don't listen to Cornette's podcast, obviously.

I don't know what it is, but I still have a suspicion that I've attended many an outlaw mudshow back when I used to attend live events (I haven't been to a live wrestling event in close to a decade).

I think it's from the territory days where an outlaw group would run and it would probably usually be in a muddy field somewhere, presumably with 50 fans in attendance. This is how Cornette refers to AEW, which is obviously nonsense. He also predicted AEW woud be out of business by last April with Kenny and the Young Bucks handling creative things.

It seems like the more success AEW has the more loony he gets.

• Like 1