DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

Losing interest in him because he failed a drug test seems like a convenient excuse. That didn't stop them from keeping the faith in Roman Reigns when he popped for Adderall. Yeah, I know, Andrade isn't Reigns, but supposedly they saw their next Latin star in him, even hired English language coaches for him, but he fails one drug test and that's it? Nah, I don't buy that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Losing interest in him because he failed a drug test seems like a convenient excuse. That didn't stop them from keeping the faith in Roman Reigns when he popped for Adderall. Yeah, I know, Andrade isn't Reigns, but supposedly they saw their next Latin star in him, even hired English language coaches for him, but he fails one drug test and that's it? Nah, I don't buy that.

They were pretty wishy-washy on him even before that. He was never as protected as Reigns despite their seeing potential in him so the comparison doesn't really hold up. It was after the failed drug test when they seemed to just stop caring about Andrade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Also, because I'm too lazy and tipsy to go back in this thread, idk how much this has been commented on, but who the fuck thought bringing Johnny Ace back was a good idea? Johnny Ace and Bruce Prichard being in top spots in company leadership in goddamn 2021 is like an NFL team hiring Mike Ditka to fix their organization. But not good, mid-80's Ditka. I'm talking "trade all your picks for Ricky Willams" Mike Ditka. Even worse, Bruce and Johnny are so obsolete that it's like turning around and letting Ditka hire Mike Martz and Monte Kiffin to overhaul your offense and defense. Just outdated, ignorant methods of thinking that lead to a shitty, subpar product that's only being kept afloat by the supreme individual efforts by a few bulletproof stars...

well I mean Vince McMahon increasingly reminds me of the final years of Al Davis so if the shoe fits...

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Casey said:

Facts , It doesn't mean anything when they say they are looking for the next Latin star. They've been saying it since Eddie died. They gave Del Rio a serious shot but other than him who else have they tried to push. No disrespect to Jinder Mahal but they were looking for an Indian star and the went with him. It irrelevant whether he was a success the fact is the went with him and right now they have a couple of guys could be the next Indian superstar. He wasn't going to get past the Midcard 

• Like 4

All I’m saying is that I don’t believe the idea that WWE lost interest in him because of a failed drug test. It’s more likely that WWE was just being WWE and they moved onto the next toy in their large collection.

• Like 1

I don't understand how you fuck up Andrade, Black & Ricochet as bad as they have.

Black never needs to talk. Just have him go toe to toe with everyone knowing that Black Mass is a silver bullet. Stick the IC/US title on him and just let him rock n roll for 15 mins every week.

Andrade had the great heel run in NXT, amazing work with Rey on SDL, and a the look to be built as that Latin star they have been craving forever. Again, who cares if he can't speak English? That's what Vega was for. She's gone? Cool, grab someone from NXT.

Ricochet is another one. He doesn't need to talk! Right now I want him to turn heel, align with The Hurt Business and go get the US title. At least it gives him SOMETHING to stay active.

Roster bloat is insane right now in WWE, and increasingly, in AEW.

• Like 5

Truthfully, outside a few matches with Gargano or Rey, I still don't get what people see in Andrade. Zelina Vega was pretty much the only thing I found interesting about him 90% of the time.

But that Black/Murphy feud was so fucking great, and then suddenly Murphy was joined to Rollins and that was the end for both him and Black doing anything even slightly interesting and that just sucks.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

All I’m saying is that I don’t believe the idea that WWE lost interest in him because of a failed drug test. It’s more likely that WWE was just being WWE and they moved onto the next toy in their large collection.

I believe this is the case for most people that come up from NXT. Look at Finn Balor, he the first Universal Champ and Vince was said to be very high on him at the time. He unfortunately got injured in the very match he was crowned Champ. Was out several months and by the time he got back he was just another guy. In a seriousness, I have to remind myself that he was the first Universal Champ.

Sasha Banks on Broken Skull Sessions admitted that she initially hid her Shoulder injury from the company so they wouldn't mess up the plans for her and Bayley as women's tag Champs. There's still that old school mentality that if you get put on the shelf you might lose your spot. Yes they have the advantage of getting paid but Vince not having you in his consciousness for more than a few weeks does you no favors

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Facts , It doesn't mean anything when they say they are looking for the next Latin star. They've been saying it since Eddie died. They gave Del Rio a serious shot but other than him who else have they tried to push. No disrespect to Jinder Mahal but they were looking for an Indian star and the went with him. It irrelevant whether he was a success the fact is the went with him and right now they have a couple of guys could be the next Indian superstar. He wasn't going to get past the Midcard 

Stop trying to look for the next Eddie Guerrero because that's a standard no one can achieve. Just seriously push the Latin stars and treat them as legit stars and legit threats.

I think the issue with Aleister Black is WWE just doesn't know what to do with a character like that on the main roster. No disrespect to Black, but his promos after moving to the main roster were nothing to write home about. They just sounded so half-hearted and bland, but that problem is not isolated to Aleister Black in WWE. A lot of wrestlers suffer from just bad overly scripted promos.

• Like 1

Re: Andrade

Vince lost interest in him because he took back RAW from Heyman, saw just how small El Idolo really is and that he can barely speak English... and killed it. 

This isn't rocket science. He wants another Eddy... but he wants Eddy. It's more important to Vince to connect with the audience than wow the audience.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

and then suddenly Murphy was joined to Rollins and that was the end for both him and Black doing anything even slightly interesting and that just sucks.

And just to be sure I have this right, he turned face, joined the Mysterios, they dropped the angle, took him off tv for a few months then brought him back to join up with Rollins again. Without even trying to explain it, or write a story or anything. 

This is why the almost the entire roster is a bunch of dudes. They give you no reason to even care, because it's clear they don't. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I don't think we can put it past people in this company to punish Andrade for being with Charlotte, that they don't see him as "important" enough to be her boyfriend/husband/eventually baby daddy. 

Lol, I hope you stretched before you made that leap of logic.  I'd hate for you to pull a hammy.

Honestly, as much as people try to blame Vince for anything and everything, I'd sort of surprised no one here has found a way to implicate him in the Lindbergh baby kidnapping or Hindenburg explosion.

Edited by Eoae
typo

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I enjoyed this. Paul Heyman is one of the best promos in wrestling history.

Heyman still has that gift to sell you on a match or talk you into the building. It's not an attribute that people are required to have especially in WWE. In other promotions guys have gotten to use that skill.

I said before that I like both Edge and Roman but I'd much rather Roman Headline a WrestleMania with a younger guy for once. Most of his Mania matches have been against old timers or part timers, he's definitely at the point where he should be the ring general.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Lol, I hope you stretched before you made that leap of logic.  I'd hate for you to pull a hammy.

Honestly, as much as people try to blame Vince for anything and everything, I'd sort of surprised no one here has found a way to implicate him in the Lindbergh baby kidnapping or Hindenburg explosion.

The worst part about the huge reach in logic, is that it has happened multiple times before.  There is nothing that makes me think that this is what happened with Andrade.  With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case, they've literally tried to sabotage relationships for decades now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

If you asked Vince he'd probably tell you that he IS the Lindbergh baby. Waa waa goo goo. I miss my fly flu da-da. 

(Simpsons reference in case someone doesn't get it)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Casey said:

So they payed for him to learn English and weren’t happy when he didn’t pass a drug test? Sounds hella sketchy indeed. 

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

The worst part about the huge reach in logic, is that it has happened multiple times before.  There is nothing that makes me think that this is what happened with Andrade.  With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case, they've literally tried to sabotage relationships for decades now.

I can only think of this happening two times. Once was with Miz and Maryse because one particular writer was a jealous asshole so it wasn't exactly a "they" situation. The other with Del Rio & Paige because even they thought Del Rio was a piece of shit who was going to drag Paige down. What are the other times? Have they been confirmed, or was it just supposition from fans?

9 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

WWE wrestlers are more of a collection than a roster. 

I think of them as an art farm on a sunny day.  And Vince is the big goofy kid with the magnifying glass.

• Like 2

I think there was always a suspicion that both the Lana/Rusev and Bliss/Murphy relationships got messed around with by influential people backstage.

I could absolutely see some people in WWE being... disappointed... in Charlotte's choice of partner.

It goes both ways though. There was a heap of scuttlebutt that Rhea Ripley's push was mostly down to Triple H digging her a little more than he probably should for a guy in his position. Knowing his tastes though it's easy to see that connection.

• Like 1