DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

Wow, Ricky Reyes, hadn't heard that name in a while. 

I awkwardly met him at my first ROH show. He looked so perturbed. I don't blame him, I was a massive dork. I wished him luck in his match, he began to walk away and said, "thanks kid". It was my Mean Joe Greene moment. 

He was actually pretty over with the live crowd for the first few Detroit ROH shows. So was Chad Collyer. Gabe's wet dream. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I looked at the participants for the Revolution J tournaments and it looks like Zokre, Phoenix Star, B Boy, and Lil Cholo were working regularly up until last year. TJP is also still active if you want to count him.

Thanks!  I actually didn't know B Boy was a Rev Pro guy, I always thought he came out of UPW.

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

Damn, I meant New Foundation. 

Also, that video would've made for a great Titan Tron had Del Ray got a push in the Attitude Era. Replace him with Val Venis.

It's a damn shame Del Ray was too broken up physically when he got to WWF. I was watching some random Raw (research shows 6/20/1994) some months back and the Bodies were wrestling Jim Powers and Ross Greenburg in an enhancement match. Del Ray looked great in that match...and then he got hurt at the finish. That was pretty much the end of the Bodies being considered a legit tag team in WWF and ultimately one of the contributing factors in Del Ray being done as a wrestler 2 and 1/2 years later. 

And oh, I thought I was the only one who liked the "Anvil"/New Foundation/Heavenly Bodies theme.

32 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Thanks!  I actually didn't know B Boy was a Rev Pro guy, I always thought he came out of UPW.

Looks like he was trained by Christopher Daniels and Tom Howard, which suggests he came through UPW's school. Looking back at his early matches most were in Rev Pro, but I know a lot of the same guys worked all the same Socal indies in the early 00s.

42 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And oh, I thought I was the only one who liked the "Anvil"/New Foundation/Heavenly Bodies theme.

It's a good theme.

Johnston and Hart had a few themes that you never really got to hear a whole lot of, and you're like, hey, that's not bad and they gave it to THIS guy?

Shane Douglas had a pretty SEGA-esque theme that wasn't bad. I half expect John Madden to jump in and welcome me to Madden '92. I never even knew he had a theme until I found it like, 20 years ago.

Another underrated theme was Greg Valentine's. Again, you never really got to hear it, but it was pretty awesome.

Alright that's enough. I'm not THAT drunk, and we already have a themes thread.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Yeah, no kidding.  I think at this point I'll watch what I can and unless they are true to their word I'll probably need to start seeking out comps.

That's what I'm doing since I cancelled my Network sub last year. I have a huge collection of tapes I inherited that I've been converting to DVD, but there are a few glaring holes that I would love to get filled. (If anyone knows a good source for 80s territory comps, slide into my DMs. Also, if anyone has a VCR and wants some tapes, hit me up.)

9 hours ago, Matt D said:

Look at how they used Tyson in WWF. He was a big star from a different ("more legitimate" ) fighting art and he could 100% punch out the lead heel if he got a lucky shot in, but they made it seem like Austin vs Tyson would have been a hell of a fight.

Uh, I dunno if Mike fucking Tyson punching anyone could be considered a "lucky shot."

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Okada went from a wrestler who I didn't quite like because it felt like he was being shoved down our throats to a wrestling that I really love and he's easily one of my favorites. Knowing he's working with two slipped discs scares me. Like, dude, you could be the GOAT. If you need to take a year off then take a year off and heal up. This is just insanity.

It's especially ridiculous considering he isn't working any major programs, and they don't need him to draw crowds due to the pandemic. There's literally no legitimate reason he needs to be wrestling. 

Edited by mattdangerously
  • Like 3

Huh, Williams Street uses that exact same hammering sound at the beginning of Valentine's theme at the ends of the shows that they produce. 

That's a funny little crossover thing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I've heard Meltzer mention twice now that Okada is working with not one but two herniated discs.  Break out that tough/stupid Venn diagram, please.  I suffered a really bad herniation a month ago (getting surgery very soon) and making breakfast is an endurance test. I can't imagine wrestling like that.  Unless both are far lesser herniations.  I had one in my neck a few years ago that wasn't too bad, for example.  Keep your lat pulldowns light, kids.  And don't get old.

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Okada went from a wrestler who I didn't quite like because it felt like he was being shoved down our throats to a wrestling that I really love and he's easily one of my favorites. Knowing he's working with two slipped discs scares me. Like, dude, you could be the GOAT. If you need to take a year off then take a year off and heal up. This is just insanity.

I read that Kazuchika Okada might be wrestling with one of if not two herniated discs. That's insane. With Kazuchika Okada's heavy schedule since 2012 and the physicality of puroresu, I'd rather see Okada out of action and recover from this injury, he's earned that right. Okada's one of the greatest to ever do it, he's in my top ten at the very least and there's a case for top five or top three.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

No, it seems like that theme gets a decent amount of much warranted love around here! I was really glad they recycled the theme and gave it to Bodies at the time.

On another note, Heavenly Bodies vs Beverly Brothers could have been an interesting match, had it ever happened, and had it been given 10 minutes or so.

...Only now saw Petrol's post and I swear I was going to mention that it's unfortunate that Shane Douglas' theme wasn't recycled in a similar way for somebody else!

Edited by Shartnado
On the Shane Douglas theme

10 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

I awkwardly met him at my first ROH show. He looked so perturbed. I don't blame him, I was a massive dork. I wished him luck in his match, he began to walk away and said, "thanks kid". It was my Mean Joe Greene moment. 

He was actually pretty over with the live crowd for the first few Detroit ROH shows. So was Chad Collyer. Gabe's wet dream. 

Met him right at 2 years ago when he worked the first and only Hoodmark Lucha Libre show. Was him vs Matt Cross in the main event for the Hoodmark Lucha Libre title.Matt Cross won.  

After Hoodmark folded I ended up with the belt. 

RD3oXuc.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

My first ROH show, Reyes beat Collyer. In Detroit.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

My first ROH show, Reyes beat Collyer. In Detroit.

Yeah, Collyer actually got a good pop when he put Reyes in the clover leaf that night. He was in the best match on the first show in Detroit, w/ Sal Rinauro vs Roderick Strong/ Jack Evans. The good will seemed to carry over for a few shows for him. 

15 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I looked at the participants for the Revolution J tournaments and it looks like Zokre, Phoenix Star, B Boy, and Lil Cholo were working regularly up until last year. TJP is also still active if you want to count him.

B Boy, Cholo, and the aforementioned Reyes were all in Lucha Underground as well.

21 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Is Scorpio Sky the last of the Revolution Pro guys still wrestling?

15 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

A number of SoCal guys who turned up in Rev Pro are still working.  Human Tornado and Vinny Massaro were working dates until 2019 or 2020.  Halloween and Damian 666 were active until fairly recently (didn't one of them get covid?), Black Metal is still working, as are Biggie Biggz and Shamu Jr.  Super Boy supposedly came out of retirement and worked a couple shows in Mexico last year (?).  TJP worked a year in RevPro as Pinoy Boy, etc.  Fairly sure a few others were still working the SoCal indy scene pre-Covid.

Covid makes it a little hard to tell who retired and who's just inactive due to Covid or lack of shows.

PWInsider:
"World Wrestling Entertainment staff were officially informed this morning that John Laurinaitis, 58, is now officially General Manager, Talent and will be heading up Talent Relations going forward.  Mark Carano would now report to Laurinaitis, who would then report to WWE's Executive Vice President of Operations, Brad Blum.

PWInsider.com is told this would have no effect or change on WWE's Talent Development department, which is headed by Canyon Cemen, who reports to Paul Levesque."

WWE filed for two new trademarks Symbiosis and Franky Monet.

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

Business will be booming in the lingerie catalog business now

My first thought: "they are three weeks early for April Fools' Day". But I guess consider that Carano seems to be a very unpopular person among talent (I suppose that's what you get when you have to play bad cop to HHH good cop for too long), demoting Carano is their way to make some of them happy (for some time, at least).

Guys, I don't watch WWE but I do have some understanding of what's going on week to week via podcasts.  Can someone fill me in on if there's more context to what's up with Apollo Crews (nee Uhaa Nation)?  I hear he's been re-gimmicked and is now carrying around a spear and speaking with a Nigerian accent.  Is there more to it?  Please tell me they didn't just Saba Simba this dude in 2021.

• Sad 1