DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

Wait, where was the post with info about what features the Network would have on Peacock? It's just the PPVs (and I guess the WWE specials that are already on Peacock Premium) until August?

2 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Wait, where was the post with info about what features the Network would have on Peacock? It's just the PPVs (and I guess the WWE specials that are already on Peacock Premium) until August?

In @ChesterCopperpot's post:  

"Peacock will continually add WWE Network content to the library, making the entire WWE Network archive — including every WWE, WCW, and ECW PPV event in history — available to stream on demand before SummerSlam."

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

In @ChesterCopperpot's post:  

"Peacock will continually add WWE Network content to the library, making the entire WWE Network archive — including every WWE, WCW, and ECW PPV event in history — available to stream on demand before SummerSlam."

Ah, okay. So I guess they'll be adding stuff over time, then. That sounds not so terrible, I guess, if you already were paying for Peacock Premium or if you get the first four months for free.

Obviously, it'd be better if they had it all right at the transfer over to Peacock, but at least they're not making you pay ten bucks a month for less content. 

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Ah, okay. So I guess they'll be adding stuff over time, then. That sounds not so terrible, I guess, if you already were paying for Peacock Premium or if you get the first four months for free.

Obviously, it'd be better if they had it all right at the transfer over to Peacock, but at least they're not making you pay ten bucks a month for less content. 

If you think WWE will stick to the plan of adding old stuff to the archives when they’ve gone back on that many times, I got this big fuckin’ bridge in Brooklyn I just gotta show you.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

If you think WWE will stick to the plan of adding old stuff to the archives when they’ve gone back on that many times, I got this big fuckin’ bridge in Brooklyn I just gotta show you.

Is it in Dumbo? How much is it? It's probably pretty cheap, or you wouldn't have mentioned it.

Get in contact with me and let me know.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Super Ape said:

Yeah, no kidding.  I think at this point I'll watch what I can and unless they are true to their word I'll probably need to start seeking out comps.

On 3/7/2021 at 9:16 PM, Matt D said:

Don't even get me started on how much I hate it when they bring in a MMA person and immediately have them crush the entire roster. The way to do it is to have pro wrestling tricks outsmart them. They may be a pro in MMA but pro wrestling has different rules and strategies and skills. It's 2021. It's its own contained universe. It's fictional. Lean into that.

On 3/7/2021 at 9:34 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

That I agree on because logically, pro wresting is just a different form of MMA or at least early MMA/NHB. It's your discipline against my discipline. How I was trained versus how you were trained.

I like these points and I've mentioned in a few AEW threads, probably in responses to Ross' awful commentary, that in kayfabe everyone in the ring is a practitioner of the martial art known as pro wrestling.  When MMA Guy A comes into a pro wrestling promotion and squashes the wrestlers, that's some kayfabe killing shit, essentially saying "this real fighter can beat any fake pro wrestler."  In actuality, MMA Guy A should be a fish out of water in pro wrestling.  He's coming from a sport where you can't even knee a guy on the ground and now he's fighting a dude who knows how to hit a piledriver and is going to get away with an eye poke or nutshot as soon as the ref isn't looking!

On the Ross commentary tip, I forgot to mention how hilarious to me it was, as a young'n, to hear his commentary flip after a heel turn.

Babyface Luger: He was an excellent athlete and a 4.0 scholar!

Heel Luger: He was a scumbag on the field, often facing disciplinary action, and sqeuaked by with his grades, probably copying others' assignments!

Thanks, @Mister TV, for the "jock sniffer" line.  Absolutely!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

Look at how they used Tyson in WWF. He was a big star from a different ("more legitimate" ) fighting art and he could 100% punch out the lead heel if he got a lucky shot in, but they made it seem like Austin vs Tyson would have been a hell of a fight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Was that Del Ray's theme song? Because somewhat bizarrely it sounds a little similar to the opening 40 seconds of Morphine by Michael Jackson (mostly the industrial sound and those two notes at the end)

I want to live in a world where Michael Jackson sampled Jimmy Del Ray's theme song.

2 minutes ago, Swift said:

Was that Del Ray's theme song? Because somewhat bizarrely it sounds a little similar to the opening 40 seconds of Morphine by Michael Jackson (mostly the industrial sound and those two notes at the end)

I want to live in a world where Michael Jackson sampled Jimmy Del Ray's theme song.

I'm pretty sure that was The Heavenly Bodies' theme song

I've heard Meltzer mention twice now that Okada is working with not one but two herniated discs.  Break out that tough/stupid Venn diagram, please.  I suffered a really bad herniation a month ago (getting surgery very soon) and making breakfast is an endurance test. I can't imagine wrestling like that.  Unless both are far lesser herniations.  I had one in my neck a few years ago that wasn't too bad, for example.  Keep your lat pulldowns light, kids.  And don't get old.

• Sad 1

Okada went from a wrestler who I didn't quite like because it felt like he was being shoved down our throats to a wrestling that I really love and he's easily one of my favorites. Knowing he's working with two slipped discs scares me. Like, dude, you could be the GOAT. If you need to take a year off then take a year off and heal up. This is just insanity.

• Like 3

You know in the UFC they bring up guys non-martial arts sports background all the time. Matt Mitrone was in the NFL, Brian Stann played college ball, hell they mention Stipe playing college Baseball. So I don't have a problem with it being done in wrestling. I certainly think you can over do it like anything but I feel it just puts guys over as athletes 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, zendragon said:

You know in the UFC they bring up guys non-martial arts sports background all the time. Matt Mitrone was in the NFL, Brian Stann played college ball, hell they mention Stipe playing college Baseball. So I don't have a problem with it being done in wrestling. I certainly think you can over do it like anything but I feel it just puts guys over as athletes 

Right on.  Also, I think Ross (in Mid-South and WCW) was using as a way to point out that their guys weren't just bodybuilders or muscleheads or whatever.  Their guys were athletes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Hey, I don't appreciate you bringing in these real sport examples into our wrestling discussion, pal. Makes it all seem bush league.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Is Scorpio Sky the last of the Revolution Pro guys still wrestling?

I looked at the participants for the Revolution J tournaments and it looks like Zokre, Phoenix Star, B Boy, and Lil Cholo were working regularly up until last year. TJP is also still active if you want to count him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

It was. I feel like High Energy used it as well as the Beverly Brothers before they got their Sonic the Hedgehog level theme. 

Almost. It was New Foundation and Owen as a single before joining Koko in High Energy. The Beverly Brothers first theme was similar,  but not the same. It can be found on one of those Uncaged compilations issued by WWE  (on Spotify, at least) It was titled "Brothers".

21 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Almost. It was New Foundation and Owen as a single before joining Koko in High Energy. The Beverly Brothers first theme was similar,  but not the same. It can be found on one of those Uncaged compilations issued by WWE  (on Spotify, at least) It was titled "Brothers".

Damn, I meant New Foundation. 

Also, that video would've made for a great Titan Tron had Del Ray got a push in the Attitude Era. Replace him with Val Venis.

• Like 1