DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

If I recommended one match for lapsed fan or a non wrestling fan to watch from the Modern era, it would be the Smackdown Mens Elimination Chamber match from 2019 with Kofi and Bryan at the end. It had everyone on the edge of their seat actively rooting for Kofi to win. It was like watching a high stakes football game with your favorite team. It wasn't about work rate even though you had Bryan in there. It was one of the few times that you could genuinely lose yourself in match like that in this era. The WrestleMania match vs Bryan was dope too and I'd recommend that match to along with Cody vs Dustin but that Elimination Chamber especially watching it as it happened was one of the best experiences watching wrestling ever IMO

• Like 4

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Not a lawyer but always a wonderful fact, D'Lo Brown is also a CPA and would do taxes for fellow talent. Such a wholesome thing, along with him being a very solid talent in the ring. 

Now I'm picturing him telling you you're getting a $1,683 refund like this:

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16

20 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I also hate shitty sitout moves and shitty pin attempts were wrestlers lean on opponents with their back adding a leg hook and it doesn't look like there is any pressure / leverage on the opponent.

Maybe it's time to get a house with lawn so I can yell at the young people to get off it...

Half of the leg hook pins look like the wrestler is trying to pin the ass, not the shoulders.

Hey, I have a house, I'll do some yelling for you!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Peck said:

Now I'm picturing him telling you you're getting a $1,683 refund like this:

tenor.gif

Since we were discussing Jim Ross the other day, I already have said I watched the Raw where Shawn and Austin beat Owen and Davey Boy for the tag team titles. Well D'Lo is on the show against Bob Holly and this was when D'Lo was just a guy in the NoD. He was suppose to be this bad ass militant black dude. First thing out of Jim's mouth? D'Lo being a CPA and where he went to school. 

Nothing beats Billy Gunn and going to Sam Houston State on a RODEO scholarship. They got like 4 or 5 of years out of that on commentary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hey, I'm sure the NoI had accountants, too. 

They should have had a dude in the Nation of Domination that was just around to hawk bean pies.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's funny you say that - when I was reading the thread last night before bed, I thought about Trish Stratus giving someone advice on Tough Enough back in the day for blowing a kip up - "If you can't do it, don't do it." 

Says the woman who couldn't sell a serious bump for more than three seconds without adjusting her outfit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I am dragging through a monstrous stack of Observers from the past year (gifted from my pal) at toiletside, and WOW a lot of luchadors have been dying, cayendo como moscas if you will, mostly from the COVIDs. Did Meltzer get a informant for South of the Border obituaries or is this some tragic statistical anomaly? Granted, many of them I have never heard of, but that makes me more curious about the source of DM's... um... source. Maybe from the CMLL union?

descansa en paz,

RAF

I believe in Mexico they go with QEPD* "que en paz descansa" as their version of RIP

*Got ripped several new assholes by many tios and tias in my youth for "getting it wrong" and being disprectful to la raza

I'd wager they just ripped me a new asshole for being such a shithead as a kid, but I see tons of QEPD posts on my feed with the passing of luchadors and celebs from MX so mebbe they're right???

on topic about thigh slaps, its not anything I've noticed, even with watching tons of early RoH when the kick pad era was supposed to be in full force. I think maybe I'm lucky to not notice it because if I did catch it repeatedly I'd probably just stop watching the promotion if it was a glaring thing that stood out every other match

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Since we were discussing Jim Ross the other day, I already have said I watched the Raw where Shawn and Austin beat Owen and Davey Boy for the tag team titles. Well D'Lo is on the show against Bob Holly and this was when D'Lo was just a guy in the NoD. He was suppose to be this bad ass militant black dude. First thing out of Jim's mouth? D'Lo being a CPA and where he went to school. 

Nothing beats Billy Gunn and going to Sam Houston State on a RODEO scholarship. They got like 4 or 5 of years out of that on commentary.

My favourite was how he couldnt help himself in the midst of Modern Day Gladiator, Faarooq Asad and tell us all about Ron Simmons' number being retired.

I feel like there was a really awkward one or two in the first year in Stamford. I'm certain he threw out Rotunda's Syracuse credentials out as IRS...and maybe Nash's basketball background too.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ziggy said:

If I recommended one match for lapsed fan or a non wrestling fan to watch from the Modern era, it would be the Smackdown Mens Elimination Chamber match from 2019 with Kofi and Bryan at the end. It had everyone on the edge of their seat actively rooting for Kofi to win. It was like watching a high stakes football game with your favorite team. It wasn't about work rate even though you had Bryan in there. It was one of the few times that you could genuinely lose yourself in match like that in this era. The WrestleMania match vs Bryan was dope too and I'd recommend that match to along with Cody vs Dustin but that Elimination Chamber especially watching it as it happened was one of the best experiences watching wrestling ever IMO

I love that Elimination Chamber match. So worth losing a night's sleep by watching it live. I actually bought the DVD release and I hardly buy the PPVs. Best Elimination Chamber match ever and the final home stretch between Bryan and Kingston is electric. Big fan of the Gauntlet match between the six on the pre Elimination Chamber 2019 Smackdown Live.

9 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

My favourite was how he couldnt help himself in the midst of Modern Day Gladiator, Faarooq Asad and tell us all about Ron Simmons' number being retired.

I feel like there was a really awkward one or two in the first year in Stamford. I'm certain he threw out Rotunda's Syracuse credentials out as IRS...and maybe Nash's basketball background too.

It's that Bill Watts in him, Legitimize the wrestler in the ring. People give him alot of shit for his commentary in AEW but he's always had  his own way of expressing he didn't like a certain direction, or a gimmick or a match.

When Simmons came in was still a new fan, i had no clue he was a former world Champion let alone the first black World Champ. I'm sure it probably killed JR that he couldn't bring that up when he came in. Faarooq was allowed to bring it up a year later to get heat for his match with Taker.

I think JR believes that adding some legitimate statistics or credentials can help guys overcome what he might believe are some creative hurdles that certain talents might have. In that sense you can't really blame him

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 8:46 PM, hammerva said:

So apparently there are "stories" that the WWE is going to fine wrestlers for slapping their legs on kick.   In other news 65% of the NXT roster will be on Dynamite in the next month

Ev1n7zRXMAI6JGU?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

17 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Well that part about Hogan and Flair certainly sounds legit and not at all like he just picked the two most famous names from the 80s to bolster a bullshit claim.

Well, he's both a lawyer and a wrestler.  According to noted wrestler and math expert Scott Steiner, that makes him 146% carny and only 12% water.

Steiner broke it down in one of his books.  IIRC, it was his philosophical treatise on the nature of existence, "My Promos Don't Make Sense To Me Either".  You can probably still order it from Amazon.

Edited by Eoae

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

He usually made wrestling smaller with that as opposed to raising it up. 

Exactly!  Ross always comes off as a guy who’d much rather be calling football and is embarrassed to be working in a fake sport, so he has to legitimize these athletes by putting over their “real sports” credentials.  The problem I always have with this is, for example, if guys who had nothing but a cup of coffee on just an NFL practice squad, like Hansen or Vader, are dominant in wrestling, it makes wrestling look lesser.  “This guy couldn’t even be 7th on the Rams’ depth chart, but he’s our world champion!  In kayfabe, it makes pro wrestling the preferred sport for washouts.

It’s especially hilarious when he’s grasping at straws, like when he mentions that one of the Acclaimed guys’ father was in the NFL.  So real sports cred is hereditary, I guess.

• Like 2

I was watching Starrcade 83 last night because I'd never seen it and I had forgotten how much Gordon Solie loved not only talking about wrestlers' college football careers, but about the scholarship offers they got out of high school.

Also there was a lot more stabbing in the opening matches than I had anticipated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

It’s especially hilarious when he’s grasping at straws, like when he mentions that one of the Acclaimed guys’ father was in the NFL.  So real sports cred is hereditary, I guess.

I don't know; I always just thought JR was trying to legitimize his guys as athletes, and I never got an "embarrased to be in wrestling" vibe out of it. I could see where it might make wrestling seem small, but this happens on commentary for every sport anywhere. How many times have we heard about Mahomes's dad playing MLB? During every game he's ever played.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You could also spin it as these guys were great at a number of sports and they chose wrestling. More true in the 60s and 70s, where stars could legitimately make more money in wrestling than the nfl. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

The problem I always have with this is, for example, if guys who had nothing but a cup of coffee on just an NFL practice squad, like Hansen or Vader, are dominant in wrestling, it makes wrestling look lesser.  “This guy couldn’t even be 7th on the Rams’ depth chart, but he’s our world champion!  In kayfabe, it makes pro wrestling the preferred sport for washouts.

It's the same with an Ex MMA fighter or an ex boxer, it would work alot better in their favor if most the guys from that background was booked like Brock. Even as a kid especially after about a year and he became a really good worker it didn't seem right for him to be stuck in the midcard. Dan Severn as well, on surface he seemed like he would be to bland for Vince McMahons vision of Wrestling but he seemed like such a bad ass when he came in. The UFC clips to build him up and the theme music, he was eating guys up when he came in. Especially the D'Lo angle which I didn't know was a work till a few years ago. Not every MMA fighter is good at Pro Wrestling or even have the presence that Shamrock and Severn did and these guys pretty much established guys

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

You could also spin it as these guys were great at a number of sports and they chose wrestling. More true in the 60s and 70s, where stars could legitimately make more money in wrestling than the nfl. 

Yeah, that's how I took it as a kid - they got out of the NFL to make some real money in pro wrestling. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

It was better when they said a wrestler was thrown out of Sport X for being too violent or such, adding to the heel gimmick. Heel Duggan for spearing in football and then that became his finish. 

The Balls Mahoney one about being banned from Amateur Wrestling for throwing a chair at a referee is actually true though, isn't it?