DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

Mini rant:

I hate this new Peacock deal. A lot of my Network watching happens with my PS4 friends, as we all go in party chat, find the timestamp and bullshit around watching the matches. We won't be able to do that anymore and that fucking stinks. 

It may not seem like THAT big of a deal, but they're in the UK and Finland, so I guess they'll keep the current format, while I'm stuck using my crap Xfinity box. 

I guess I'll have to just stick to YouTube and Dailymotion matches for my picks.

--

Great, I'm on a new page. Thanks, @AxBfor making what was always a funny fear, a bigger thing.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 4

The way I see this all playing out is Peacock likes the idea of WWE running monthly ppvs and pushing that they are exclusive to the streaming service. I don't see any reason why they would have real interest in any of the other content. Perhaps some of the originals. 

All of it kind of bums me out. I remember the promise of what I thought the Network was going to be. Idealistically, I thought WWE would finally provide a home for the most diehard of fans that had been brushed off in pursuit of ratings success.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if it would be a more fair comparison to compare the ROH production, since its 10+ years later and owned some of the time during JC's tenure by a TV company. 

Thanks a lot for the unwelcome flashback to how horrible Sinclair ROH on AXS was in the beginning!  It sounded like they were wrestling inside a coffee can, none of the cameras were properly white balanced so when they'd cut from one shot to another it looked like you were watching two different shows, and a lot of the time the lighting guys didn't work with the camera guys, so you'd get an overhead light shining RIGHT INTO ONE OF THE STATIONARY CAMERAS and for some dumb reason neither could be moved.  That was ridiculous.  You'd be watching a match and they'd cut to a different shot and HOLY SHIT I'M BLIND and then they'd cut to a different shot like no big deal and keep going back to that blinding shot like it wasn't a thing.

Good ol' Sinclair.  Anti-union, pinching pennies so hard Lincoln wept.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

There was a weird Rick Rubin mini-doc series with four episodes on Showtime not long ago. It was just him musing philosophically and lounging around barefoot. No sunglasses removal allowed. 

Of course he didn't talk about Beasties, Slayer, Danzig, Trouble, SMW, Johnny Cash, basically anything interesting he ever did.

I was also sorely disappointed by this. I've always wondered why Slayer and Metallica dropped him for his engineer Greg Fidelman instead. Maybe just cost at the end of the day, but I was hoping for some tea.

10 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Mini rant:

I hate this new Peacock deal. A lot of my Network watching happens with my PS4 friends, as we all go in party chat, find the timestamp and bullshit around watching the matches. We won't be able to do that anymore and that fucking stinks. 

It may not seem like THAT big of a deal, but they're in the UK and Finland, so I guess they'll keep the current format, while I'm stuck using my crap Xfinity box. 

I guess I'll have to just stick to YouTube and Dailymotion matches for my picks.

--

Great, I'm on a new page. Thanks, @AxBfor making what was always a funny fear, a bigger thing.

Is this something you could get around with a VPN and a European WWE Network subscription?

Re: WWE going to Texas

This just happened at the UFC 259 press conference

All the major boxing promoters save for Bob Arum and Top Rank (they're doing their residency at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas w/ no fans) have done limited capacity shows in Texas and that was even before the restrictions were lifted. Canelo is going to fight Billy Joe Saunders at either AT&T Stadium or NRG Stadium on 5/8. 

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Is this something you could get around with a VPN and a European WWE Network subscription?

I hope so, but I also have no idea how to do the VPN thing. Plus, I've never really had my own account the past 2 years. I've been pulling a Kramer and mooching off @Nice Guy Eddie.

12 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

I hope so, but I also have no idea how to do the VPN thing. Plus, I've never really had my own account the past 2 years. I've been pulling a Kramer and mooching off @Nice Guy Eddie.

With me only being able to do MLB TV for baseball thanks to cutting the cord I had to get Nord VPN just so I can watch my home team due to blackout restrictions.  I'm sure there's cheaper but $11/month isn't too horrible for me and it allows the option to set it to Europe or elsewhere fairly easily.

I honestly hope they still have the network functional in some way so I can watch the old stuff.  I'd rather not use a VPN just to maintain that but if Peacock is my only option then I'm best off rushing through what I want to watch and drop it ASAP.

Still one of my favourite compilations, Stan Hansen throwing stiff Lariats set to his theme song, Sunrise. Nobody does that move as well as Hansen. Stiffest. Lariats. Ever. Lariato!!!

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the triple post but any discrimination royally pisses me off: racism, sexism, sexual orientation, homophobia, by religion and the disabled. I'm proud to have friends of different races, the LGBTQ community including a gay cousin, who practice religion or don't and those who like me are disabled.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 8

I've mentioned here and there that over the past few months my 10 year old nephew's pals who live across the street have been watching ppv's at our place. My nephew likes wrestling but he's grown up with it. Its been on in the background since he was born. His pals are now just discovering it.

They like it to various degrees, but his pal Finn has caught the bug big time. He's always asking when the next show is, and he's excited for this weekend's " A and W" show. His mom came by the other night to drop off some cookies and she told me that wrestling is all he talks about and she and his Dad have no idea who these people are that he's constantly talking about. Finn is 11 and short for his age, but stocky and strong. Apparently he gets picked on a bit. He loves seeing the smaller guys tossing around bigger guys, which is probably why when he saw John Silver at the last AEW show he loved him. 

It's refreshing having some kids around when my friend and I watch shows. ( We're all in our bubble regarding Covid), because it stops us from talking about the booking and all that bullshit and just leads to cheering and booing . 

One exception, when the kids first saw The Fiend they absolutely loved him. Now, they think he's lame. Lol.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I've mentioned here and there that over the past few months my 10 year old nephew's pals who live across the street have been watching ppv's at our place. My nephew likes wrestling but he's grown up with it. Its been on in the background since he was born. His pals are now just discovering it.

They like it to various degrees, but his pal Finn has caught the bug big time. He's always asking when the next show is, and he's excited for this weekend's " A and W" show. His mom came by the other night to drop off some cookies and she told me that wrestling is all he talks about and she and his Dad have no idea who these people are that he's constantly talking about. Finn is 11 and short for his age, but stocky and strong. Apparently he gets picked on a bit. He loves seeing the smaller guys tossing around bigger guys, which is probably why when he saw John Silver at the last AEW show he loved him. 

It's refreshing having some kids around when my friend and I watch shows. ( We're all in our bubble regarding Covid), because it stops us from talking about the booking and all that bullshit and just leads to cheering and booing . 

One exception, when the kids first saw The Fiend they absolutely loved him. Now, they think he's lame. Lol.

I have a blast watching AEW with my kids.  My daughter just turned 10.  She's not super into it, but she pops in here and there and watches with me.  My son is 3 and it's hilarious to watch with him.  He knows Jericho, Moxley and Omega by sight.  He also knows that -1's daddy "didn't make it" (my son's term for anyone who dies). ? He really seems sad for that little boy every time he sees him.  It's equally sweet and sad.

On a lighter note, my son made up this sort of action cartoon in his head that he talks about a lot.  It's called "Circle Vipers".  No idea where that name came from.  They're "regular guys with guns", not superheroes.  I asked him if there were any bad guys that the Circle Vipers fight.  He said yes, "Jon Moxley and Kenny Omega, but they're giant".  So, in addition to wrestling, those two are starring in an action cartoon in my son's head.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Log said:

On a lighter note, my son made up this sort of action cartoon in his head that he talks about a lot.  It's called "Circle Vipers".  No idea where that name came from.  They're "regular guys with guns", not superheroes.  I asked him if there were any bad guys that the Circle Vipers fight.  He said yes, "Jon Moxley and Kenny Omega, but they're giant".  So, in addition to wrestling, those two are starring in an action cartoon in my son's head.  

Dude, a cheesy action movie with Mox and Omega as villians sounds completely fantastic.  I would gladly watch that movie and am kind of bummed that doesn't exist.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So apparently there are "stories" that the WWE is going to fine wrestlers for slapping their legs on kick.   In other news 65% of the NXT roster will be on Dynamite in the next month

From the WON that just came out (emphasis mine)

There was a story going around that WWE was fining wrestlers for “thigh slapping” when throwing kicks for sound effects, a practice that has been in wrestling as far back as I can remember. Mr. Wrestling II was famous for hard back slaps on the kneelift for sound effects and dating back to the 50s there was the stomp your foot hard on the mat at the moment of connection of the punch. The thigh slap superkick dates back to Chris Adams from when he came over from the U.K. It’s one of the silliest things to worry about because the perfectly timed moves garner great crowd response generally. But it became a buzzword for people who are mad it’s used so frequently (as if punches weren’t far more frequent doing the same thing in the 70s and punches worked fine in those days). Anyway, from what we’ve been told there was one memo sent to talent in NXT about doing it and nobody has said a word about it since. The irony of a group where Shawn Michaels is one of the main instructors, who grew up watching Adams, getting mad because Internet trolls who hate the Young Bucks complain about thigh slapping is the ultimate in silliness. The only time I can recall it even being notable was once when Nikki Bella came off the top rope with a kick that missed, and because her body was so programmed on delivering a kick motion she slapped her thigh in mid-air which was obvious on a kick that was supposed to miss. Yes, that spot should be taught not to do

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Log said:

I have a blast watching AEW with my kids.  My daughter just turned 10.  She's not super into it, but she pops in here and there and watches with me.  My son is 3 and it's hilarious to watch with him.  He knows Jericho, Moxley and Omega by sight.  He also knows that -1's daddy "didn't make it" (my son's term for anyone who dies). ? He really seems sad for that little boy every time he sees him.  It's equally sweet and sad.

Thats great. Also, since my nephew has been watching forever...he's mr. Know it all to his pals. " Thats Rey Mysterio,  he's awesome." or " New Day used to be bad guys, but now they're good guys and Kofi was the Champ. They're the best tag team." 

Finn was baffled when I was cheering Roman because " Hes a jerk."

• Haha 2