DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 49th Anniversary Show/New Japan Cup 2021/Sakura Genesis 2021.

The Natural

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

As for the overall state of NJPW, it peaked with Omega and has been on a downturn since he left. For me, Naito losing to Okada took a lot of wind out of my sails. Naito would eventually defeat Okada, but it ultimately felt like a do-over and it didn't feel as cool as it should have felt. To compound matters, we had the pandemic and it felt like Naito immediately dropped the title to EVIL, and I think EVIL kinda sucks. Naito then gets the title back, all of the shit with Togo and EVIL is dumb, Osprey is a heel, Okada is hurt, Tanahashi is old, Hiromu was out forever and is now out again, the entire storyline with the US title felt dumb because Moxley still has the fucking title, the US title in general is stupid, Khan and Wato feel like they're two new acts being shoved down our throats, and it's no wonder that Ibushi's run with the title has been lackluster.

I would have rather seen White feud with Ibushi or slot Shingo in for a short run, but now Shingo is starting to feel like the new Ishii where he's an incredible worker that won't sniff the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.

Anyway, it's not like I'm going to unsubscribe from NJPW World. NJPW isn't exactly bad, but it has been really flat for nearly 2 years now.

I agree with all of this.

For me 2018 was the last truly great NJPW year for Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito at Wrestle Kingdom 12 (everybody thought that was Naito's time...except Gedo. We were all surprised.), Okada vs. Omega at Dominion and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi in the G1 Climax 28 Finals. I love Okada/Omega and Tanahashi/Ibushi especially. *****.

NJPW have set such high levels from 2012-2018, it was bound to regress and not keep up. EVIL beating Tetsuya Naito for the IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Championship was a mistake last year. The booking is stale and the Bullet Club interference is so damn tiring. NJPW wanting Marty Scurll back is nauseating. Don't like them using Will Ospreay either. Awful angle after the 2021 New Japan Cup Finals. I'm against what's happening with the new IWGP World Heavyweight Championship.

Like you, I'd hope Tomohiro Ishii would win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship but it's not happening. If I could give a wrestler an IWGP Heavyweight Championship reign, my first choice has to be Minoru Suzuki. Ishii would be next. Shingo Takagi after.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 6:53 PM, Raziel said:

Yes, because in the history of New Japan Pro Wrestling,  this is the first time a main event angle, featuring gajins, has played to such utter silence you could hear a gnat fart.

Whenever someone talks about dead silence I remember Jericho attacking Omega at WTL finals and crowd being silent.

Henare tweeted himself on a plane indicating he's heading back to NZ, could very well be a ruse though. If Henare is back in NZ (quarantine makes it impossible to be him), Robbie is booked in Aus, difficult entry for 90% of the world unless having resident status (or a visa if from countries still allowed like Australia or NZ), the match itself indicates it'd be a heavyweight, who is left? Umino? Gabe? 

Henare is probably lowest tier wrestler who isn't a young lion. If he joins bad guys it should be him betraying good guys in the middle of the match or something like that. Him just walking out as an X is going to look lame. Oh, look, a jobber joined United Empire.

I know that timing doesn't really work out, but I still hope it is Andrade (maybe WWE agreed to announce his release a bit later and he is already in quarantine), it would make sense why they are matched against LiJ and it would create an obvious Naito/Andrade program for rest of the year.

kind of sad to see the IC title go away, but this was the ultimate eventuality after introducing the Double Gold. I simply wish they'd do more with the US title and get it off Moxley already. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if the US title just gets phased out or goes out of style at some point.

Edited by TheVileOne

The only reason I see for keeping the US belt is if they plan to run more US shows once the pandemic is over and want it to be the main title. Just no IWGP US tag titles, please.

All the babies crying about the IC title on Twitter. It's still real to me, dammit. At least NJPW deigned to incorporate the dislike into storylines. I found the roster giving their take on the unification more interesting than the belt for the #1B wrestler in NJPW.

NJPW over the years had many top titles, the short lived Real World Heavyweight Championship, the NWF World, World Martial arts title, the first IWGP HW championship which was booked around being tournament based, then the actual IWGP HW. 

Now the IWGP World Heavyweight championship takes over the top title position, Ibushi said he wants the new belt to represent the strongest (HW) and best (IC) lineage and bout wise. The new World title also brings back World title status that Real World, NWF, World Martial arts all had.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 4:29 PM, Spontaneous said:

The only reason I see for keeping the US belt is if they plan to run more US shows once the pandemic is over and want it to be the main title. Just no IWGP US tag titles, please.

All the babies crying about the IC title on Twitter. It's still real to me, dammit. At least NJPW deigned to incorporate the dislike into storylines. I found the roster giving their take on the unification more interesting than the belt for the #1B wrestler in NJPW.

I'd be fine with a US Tag title for tag teams to fight over on Strong.