DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 49th Anniversary Show/New Japan Cup 2021/Sakura Genesis 2021.

The Natural

Spoiler

Finlay-White and Ospreay-Sanada were both good. Neither went too long and had nice finishes. They got me good on Finlay hitting the acid drop, I figured Jay was kicking out. I was about to come in here and say Juice sucked as a cornerman but then he scooped up Gedo. Liked Jay asking the young lions what happened as they carried him away. I predict he challenges Tanahashi at Sakura Genesis, goes after the Never Openweight title he has never held. 

Could see the Finals go either way but I'm sticking with my prediction of Ospreay-Shingo and am going to continue to root Shingo!

• Like 2

Some interesting wording on the NJPW Preview for their next show:

While ordinarily, Ibushi, Okada and Tanahashi would make an unstoppable golden trio, much discontent is still circling over Ibushi’s history making title unification, and the seeds of discontent may be ripening in this bout. How will Ibushi be received by his teammates tonight, and indeed by the Sendai crowd? BULLET CLUB are always happy to leap on any form of dissent and take advantage; will that influence how this bout plays out?

https://www.njpw1972.com/93548

While I am sure this has happened a few times especially in Japan,  New Japan had to deal with their first in ring earthquake going on.  Luckily it looks like there was no damage at the show.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Thanks 1

Ospreay vs Finlay

Spoiler

This was good, possibly Finlay's best singles match to date. Due to the other semi final I just never bought him winning though. He had a good run. Another good finish. 

Shingo vs EVIL

Spoiler

This was ok. The EVIL-Dick Togo duo is bad at this point. I just can't help but miss the old EVIL. Jay White and Gedo are so much better at this act. I never bought EVIL as winning this.

The Finals match up

Spoiler

Cool to note, this will be the rubber match between Ospreay-Shingo. I didn't like their BOTSJ match as much as others did. I felt their G1 match was good. Interesting how they match up in tournaments every time. 

Go Shingo!

Spoiler

So Evil's mission to erase the IWGP letters off is stopped. 

Ibushi predicted days ago Shingo will win the cup.

But maybe Will does.

Edited by D.Z

I jumped on the NJPW bandwagon after the Kojima/Tenzan Double Title match. I trumpeted this company when they were voted Worst in the World while NOAH was selling out the Dome. I still pimp Korakuen IWGP defenses, I still stay up too late to school kids on reddit about the dark ages. Sometimes I FLY to JAPAN to watch NEW JAPAN and it costs a lot of MONEY

Please. Shoot Will Ospreay into the sun. I don't want to watch any of this. I don't even (relatively) care that Shingo publicly bragged about torturing a monkey. Just make Will gone, Jesus, please, give me back my thing, I don't deserve this, I'm not the guy that blackballed anyone.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

To add some context about the earthquake, they were in Sendai where it was probably a four or five on the shindo scale as it was fairly close to the epicenter.  It is also one of the areas where the Tohoku earthquake hit and the tenth anniversary of the quake was about just under two weeks ago. There are still constant earthquakes happening in that area on a small scale that are aftershocks of the Tohoku quake with the last big one happening in February.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I jumped on the NJPW bandwagon after the Kojima/Tenzan Double Title match. I trumpeted this company when they were voted Worst in the World while NOAH was selling out the Dome. I still pimp Korakuen IWGP defenses, I still stay up too late to school kids on reddit about the dark ages. Sometimes I FLY to JAPAN to watch NEW JAPAN and it costs a lot of MONEY

Please. Shoot Will Ospreay into the sun. I don't want to watch any of this. I don't even (relatively) care that Shingo publicly bragged about torturing a monkey. Just make Will gone, Jesus, please, give me back my thing, I don't deserve this, I'm not the guy that blackballed anyone.

With you on Will Ospreay. Felt that way long before Speaking Out and more since. Fuck him and Bea Priestley. If he or she's in a match, I skip them even against Kazuchika Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi, both in my top ten wrestlers of all time.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, matt925 said:

That’ll put asses in the seats [/extreme sarcasm]

I’d say this tops the dud explosion. Talk about a fart in church. 

This.

Spoiler

Shingo is so much better than Will Ospreay. Wrong guy went over.

• Like 1

Spoiler

No idea what is worse.  Doing a domestic violence angle to write off Bea a a couple weeks after sneaking Scurill back in or that fucking no selling lariat in order to do some floppy shit.  I mean seriously nobody shouldn't sell a Shingo lariat but especially in such a shitty spot

• Like 3

Spoiler

I actually feel repulsed by Will Ospreay, Bea Priestley and the post match. Ditto for sneaking Marty Scurill back in. Do better, NJPW. With that and the frequent Bullet Club interference in matches, NJPW isn't good right now. I have to call it as I see it.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Skipped ahead to the post-match to see what the fuss was about - fuck that. Cant be arsed watching the match now.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

4 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Hide contents

fuck that. Cant be arsed watching the match now.

It was a really good match. I almost stopped watching before the post match promo, if that happened I would have gone to bed with a totally different feeling. Also worth mentioning Jay white challenged tanahashi for the never open weight title, so that will probably be at Sakura genesis. 

Do we really need the spoiler tags after the shows are over? If I want to watch a show and don’t want spoilers I won’t click on a discussion thread about it. 

Spoiler

I enjoyed the main event (which was wild) and the show. Shingo is really good at mostly everything. However Shingo seems to be in the same "group of people that never will be top champ of NJPW" Gedo likes to put certain wrestlers in.

Anyway Jay vs Tanahashi for the Never OW title, I am looking forward to that. 

• Like 1