DVDVR Message Board

WANDAVISION (Massive Spoiler Thread)

JonnyLaw

Dont recall if it was mentioned here, but i think it was last week when someone pointed out that some merch may have spoiled something. 

Spoiler

Quicksilvers Funko Pop doll is named “pietro maximoff” including the quotation marks. 

On 2/12/2021 at 9:57 AM, JonnyLaw said:

Ep6 Discussion

Hide contents

I agree that it was a step down but still good overall. It definitely raises more questions, or at least continues to focus on known questions:

-Who is Pietro? Seems like he’s her Pietro with another body and largely aware of what’s going on. Is he being brainwashed to be her Pietro or not?

-Who is Agnes? She still seems like just another Westview citizen, but SWORD wasn’t able to ID her before. It’s been suspected that she’s behind Wanda doing this, but here she names Wanda as the one doing it. Interestingly, she thinks she’s dead here, and she previously asked Wanda if she could really bring people back from the dead.

-What’s Hayward hiding? Does he know more about the hex than has been revealed? What is “Cataract”? My guess is that it was/is SWORD’s plan to restore Vision.

Despite this feeling like a step down, it feels a little like the calm before the storm. Definitely interested in seeing the aftermath of Wanda’s escalation.

Ep 7 Thoughts

Spoiler

We got at least partial answers to all of these questions.

-Pietro created/summoned by Agatha, still “working” for her as shown by the post-credits scene. (Hat tip to the Natural).  We still don’t know if he was created by her or pulled from another universe/reality.

-She’s been Agatha all along! I liked the slow sense of dread that built up with her throughout the episode. One of the fun things about the MCU to me is how they put their own spin on things, usually successfully, so even if you’re familiar with Agatha, you don’t really know what role she’s going to play here.

-Hayward is trying to restore Vision, presumably for use as a controlled weapon. My gut is still that he’s not a villain, he’s just wrong about Wanda.  That, or he’s a skrull.

I liked this one more than last week, as it started to answer some questions and has moved things into place for the last two weeks.  Hahn killed it this episode, especially the “Actually, I did bite a kid once.” I also loved Vision’s “Wait, what am I doing just talking to you.”

I haven’t read the other posts yet after the Natural pointed out the post-credits scene, but the commercial was referencing the Nexus of All Realities, right? Which may be under Agatha’s house?

Spoiler

I had such a blast with that ending song. Kathryn Hahn has been so delightful. 

Spoiler

So that the last Of the space rover? After a little build up, they definitely didn’t bother mentioning who built the thing. Now I am filled with more anticipation 

Oh I guess it was supposed to be that first army person than Monica talked to. Oh well

Edited by ErinQuinn

Combine mine with @JonnyLaw's theory and we might be onto something. I think this one might be the most blatant commercial yet in terms of the future of the show/MCU. (I didn't realize you were the one who said that about my theory, haha)

I'm STILL waiting on the leaked one I saw a few weeks ago, though. It was so fucking good, I want to see it in glorious 4K. Maybe it got pulled last minute because of copyright or something (but that seems unlikely), seems like the perfect spot for it was last week or this week. Hell, it might have been a fake for all I know, but it was included with footage that actually aired, so... I dunno.

Interesting book at the end of the episode, too. ?

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Ep7: I’m surprised it’s been this long and no one’s even mentioned 

Spoiler

We saw Monica Rambeau get her powers! I’m sure someone online will analyze that scene with her breaking through the barrier to figure out what specific scenes were being referenced.  I wonder if there were any new ones.

• Like 1

A significant thing, and just pure theory/speculation in regards to that Monica scene:

Spoiler

did Wanda just create a fucking mutant? I know in the comics it's signified by being born with the X-gene, and anything after birth is considered Mutates. What if that Hex expands over the US? The world at large?

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

A significant thing, and just pure theory/speculation in regards to that Monica scene:

Hide contents

did Wanda just create a fucking mutant? I know in the comics it's signified by being born with the X-gene, and anything after birth is considered Mutates. What if that Hex expands over the US? The world at large?

Spoiler

I’ve seen that theorized, but I don’t think that’s the route they’re going. It seems that it takes repeated passage through the barrier, and we don’t know yet if it was something specific to Monica or not.

2dms6paldei61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Ace said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Kathryn Hahn now has 2 of the best reveals in Marvel.

The other: 

Spoiler

Certainly does. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) is a terrific film. By far the best Spider-Man movie and one of the best superhero films ever made. It's either in my top five or just sits outside it.

Regarding Monica's attempt to get back into the Hex... 

Spoiler

... and it giving her powers - we know in the MCU that Wanda got her powers from an Infinity Stone (as did Carol Danvers), and the going theory with introducing mutants is through the multiple snaps - Thanos, Hulk, and Stark. I think we're going to end up at a point where the power/radiation/whatever from the stones is what has mutated people all across the Earth, and that Wanda's stone-given power is so immense she can literally create mutations as well (even accidentally). Her ability to eliminate mutations came from the comic books, so why not flip that on its head a little bit here? 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Ep7 Theory: 

Hide contents

What if Agatha Harkness is Nightmare?  The role supposedly hasn’t been cast yet for Dr. Strange 2, and they were supposedly looking at male and female actors for the role.

Spoiler

Wellllllllll, we did finally see Dottie agait, albeit extremely briefly...

27 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:
  Hide contents

Wellllllllll, we did finally see Dottie agait, albeit extremely briefly...

Spoiler

Yeah, we haven’t seen Dottie since ep2 I believe, and she wasn’t on the board in ep4. It’s entirely possible they cast Caulfield for a nothing role, but in thinking over who she could be, I’m wondering if she’s Woo’s person in witness protection...

[Flair’s Shadow] and she’s Susan Storm in hiding from Victor von Doom![/Flair’s Shadow]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, we're caught up.

Spoiler

A+ reveal. Great song. Great first shot. Didn't quite love the evil laugh at the end. I think it would have been better with "And I killed Sparky too..." and an over the top wink and fade or something.

Did not love the Savio Vega-level military person reveal. Though that scene really is to set up Monica getting her powers, which were super "Spectrum"-y with what she was seeing and all.

The bunny was there with the kids so the kids probably aren't the bunny.

I hit the point last week when I thought Agnes might not be Agatha. So good on them for reaching that point, I guess.

Good to see them leaning on Kat Dennings for Kat Dennings things.

Great acting by Olsen this week. Her playing the put upon 00's mom.

Rewatched the first few episodes. Putting this in spoilers since it relates to Ep7:

Spoiler

Ep1: Wanda definitely doesn’t seem to be in control of Westview yet with the whole dinner mix-up. It’s unclear if Mr. Hart’s aggressive questioning at dinner is his real identity breaking through or Agatha using him to question Wanda. Similarly, there seems to be a little more emphasis when Mrs. Hart says, “And WHY... don’t you have kids?”

Also, Wanda tells Agnes at one point, “You ARE naughty...”

Ep2: Wanda says, “This is our home now. I want us to fit in.” I’m curious to see if there is a noticeable point where it shifts from them fitting in to it all being about keeping Wanda happy.

Agnes tells Wanda that “Dottie is the key to everything in this town” (including schools). Knowing now that she’s Agatha makes this stick out more.  I could definitely be looking into things too much, but in a pretty short timeframe, Agnes tells Wanda that Senior Scratchy played Jesus in a play and then she calls Dottie’s roses divine. Probably nothing, but given the possibility of Mephisto, it seems a curious choice of phrasing. In the next scene we get the “The devil is in the details”/“That’s not the only place he is” lines.

I laughed at Vision’s “Tonight, we will lie to you. And yet, you will believe our little deceptions because human beings are easily fooled due to their limited understanding of the inner workings of the universe.” Nice bit of foreshadowing to whatever is going on here.

Ep3: Agnes tells Vision that Geraldine has no home, but Geraldine came over to Wanda’s to get a bucket because the pipes burst in her house. I’m hoping we get some short of flashback scene to see the conversation between Agatha and Herb, because it really seems like they’re working together or something here.

Didnt mean to post this yet, will update as I finish watching.

Edited by JonnyLaw

Episode 7

Spoiler

Loved how things played out with Wanda slowly losing it as she realized she was losing control. Vision meeting up with Darcy was fun. Was great seeing Monica finally get her powers. Really liked how the second meeting with Wanda played out. It was disappointing that Monica's friend was no one important. What I dug most was how everything played out with Agnes building to her big reveal. I was even starting to wonder if the Agatha Harkness theories were correct. That song at the end was wonderful. I'm thinking Agatha isn't bsing who she is though I'm guessing she is under orders from someone bigger like Nightmare or Mephisto.

Spoiler

I kinda figured anyone expecting Monica's hookup to be a real heavyweight was setting themselves up for disappointment. I found people it baffling that people were talking about Reed Richards on such a nothing plot point. 

Monica continuing to function as the show's chief protagonist since the fourth episode, I'm probably more invested in her than any other character. I'm a simple person who enjoys having a clear babyface to root for.

Hi, Dottie!

I think this may have been the least funny sitcom stuff yet, which is saying something. But Olsen sure does a decent Julie Bowens. I'd have loved to have seen Bettany take a swing at Ty Burrell (who, as a person who hasn't watched a ton of Modern Family, is to my eye the funniest performance on that show), but it wasn't meant to be. Waiting on Vision to realize he could just fly home was interminable. Some serious "we need this person to be off to the side this week" plotting. But him snapping out of it and wondering why he was bothering with the documentary crew was some choice stuff. 

I know this is always a risky stance to take with an MCU villain, but here's hoping Kathryn Hahn makes it out of this show in one piece and appears in future projects!

Edited by John from Cincinnati

8 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I kinda figured anyone expecting Monica's hookup to be a real heavyweight was setting themselves up for disappointment. I found people it baffling that people were talking about Reed Richards on such a nothing plot point

These are the potential pitfalls when the pleasures of your show are largely based on the audience collecting Easter eggs and figuring out mysteries.  Eventually, you run the risk of them creating their own where there actually aren’t any, if you aren’t precise in your writing.  The Reed Richards thing kinda reminds me of a small scale version of the first season of TRUE DETECTIVE, when the audience convinced themselves it was really a supernatural story because of the Yellow King/Carcosa stuff.  Except it wasn’t.  Nicky P just made a mistake in not realizing how he had primed his audience to seize on every little detail like that.

Same thing here.  An unforced error.

(Fortunately for WandaVision, the identity of Monica’s friend was not the whole point of the show, like the identity of the killer was on True D.  Woof.)

EDIT:  Sorry, I lost the spoiler box when I tried to quote this one bit, and I can’t get it back.  I don’t think it’s the worst thing in the world to have unboxed, though.

Edited by EVA