DVDVR Message Board

Your Louvin Brothers Song of the Day

DEAN

Pete posted a picture of the Louvin Brothers Satan Is Real cowboy boots on my facebook page so it made me think that you young punks need to learn about the fucking greatest country brother tight harmony group. I will begin with their finest song about endless heartache,  "When I Stop Dreaming".

-----------------------

And of course,  Emmylou makes it even more heartbreaking.

---------------------------------

And then the King of Honkytonk, Mel Tillis, brings the final verse.

• Like 6

Ira Louvin was basically Frank Booth when he drank. His wife shot him six times and told the police, "If he doesn't die, I'll shoot him again."  He didn't.  This song is about salvation he hadn't found yet.  This song is so hardcore.

------------------------------------

Emmylou does a more pure version, because one doesn't really think that she would need much saving from sin.

---------------------------------

And then the Boss did it.

• Like 2

I feel like a bit of a dick because I hadn't listened to that podcast beforehand, I'd just heard about it from a record store update letter last night. Listening to it, I can't stand the voice of the guy reading it. He sounds like a robot half the time and flatly irritating the rest. If you're gonna do a podcast, can't you learn to talk or read naturally first? Or just get somebody else to do it. Fuck...

Anyway, it does read well (scroll down for text) so there's that. 

EDIT: And of course the problem is you miss the music, dammit. And the guy seems like a good egg, who encourages the pod to be shared with anyone who is interested in country music. I guess I'm helping him do his work and for that I'm grateful. Excuse my irritation.

Edited by Curt McGirt

That podcast is awesome.  I love the part about Ira using techniques learned from singing Sacred Harp and how Ira sings the high part of chorus of When I Stop Dreaming and Charlie picks up exactly where Ira was singing the verse during the chorus.

• Like 1

Tyler Coe's voice takes some getting used to but overall it's a GREAT podcast. To hear him a little more natural and off the cuff, he also co-hosts Your Favorite Band Sucks in which popular bands are (mostly) rightfully) shat upon. They tackle many bands I like and I'm comfortable enough in what I enjoy so that not only is it still entertaining, but is actually spot-on and hard to disagree with (I mean, come on, you can LOVE The Misfits and still acknowledge that they're basically awful).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This was the first Louvin Brothers song I ever heard.  Don't they know the world is ended?  My baby's gone.

-------------------------------------

Nick Lowe and Ron Sexsmith do a beautiful version.

----------------------------

Elvis and Emmylou do a version.

• Like 1

If I Could Only Win Love is a sweet love song of longing.

=================================

Tammy Wynette made it a hit 1967,  doing the hardest country version.

============================

Emmylou Harris made it even sweeter. It was also her first hit.

=========================

Emmylou inspired a million women to sing this song, including Zooey Deschanel.  Which is pretty beautiful.

• Like 1

This is one of my favorite Louvin Brothers songs, mostly because Ira Louvin sings the chorus in a pleading way that nobody else can do.

---------------------------------------

Vince Gill and Terri Clark did a total Western Swing version.

The most popular Louvin Brothers song is an odd song about a dream.

------------------------------------------------------

Alison Krauss did a more ethereal version.

---------------------------------------

Dolly and Porter make it just weird.

This is a great Louvin song....

-------------------------------------

.....made greater by fuckin' Gary Stewart.  Stewart is my favorite country singer, especially when singing about hopeless relationships with out of control women.  Listen to "She's Acting Single (And I'm Drinking Double)" and "Drinking Thing"  along side this to see how he takes this song to the next level.

----------------------------------------

And of course it's Emmylou Harris.

• Like 1

It was a different time when nuclear annihilation was more of a "When?" question and not an "If?" question.  SO GO TO CHURCH!  BEFORE ATOMIC WEAPONS VAPORIZE YOU!  Luckily, the Louvin brothers made horrendous armageddon all catchy and shit.

• Like 1

The Louvins tackle the Kitty Wells classic, doing about as well you can do when staring down "Making Believe."  Unlike the Kitty Wells version, you don't want to hug them and tell them it will be all right.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Jesus, this is the greatest country song about endless heartbreak.

-----------------------------------------------------

And Social Distortion.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DEAN said:

It was a different time when nuclear annihilation was more of a "When?" question and not an "If?" question.  SO GO TO CHURCH!  BEFORE ATOMIC WEAPONS VAPORIZE YOU!  Luckily, the Louvin brothers made horrendous armageddon all catchy and shit.

Not that I really really really really really want to listen to Uncle Tupelo again anytime soon but...here's a cover.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

The Louvins tackle the Kitty Wells classic, doing about as well you can do when staring down "Making Believe."  Unlike the Kitty Wells version, you don't want to hug them and tell them it will be all right.

And Social Distortion.

I am not going to lie.  The Social D cover of that was my introduction to the song.  I am such a poser.  

44 minutes ago, EdA said:

I am not going to lie.  The Social D cover of that was my introduction to the song.  I am such a poser.  

I was introduced to it by my hipster friend who hated Patsy Kline because she wasn't real like Kitty Wells.  He was a hoot.

24 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I was introduced to it by my hipster friend who hated Patsy Kline because she wasn't real like Kitty Wells.  He was a hoot.

If I am being honest, I kinda think it was dear ol' Lee and the late-great Country Song of the Day thread that really hipped me to Kitty Wells since I was the reverse - she didn't sound as purty as Patsy.

2 minutes ago, EdA said:

If I am being honest, I kinda think it was dear ol' Lee and the late-great Country Song of the Day thread that really hipped me to Kitty Wells since I was the reverse - she didn't sound as purty as Patsy.

That's the hipster I was talking about!

1 minute ago, DEAN said:

Oh my God, what was on that?  Lee is awesome.

I'll have to find it again.  There was a ton of obscure-ish stuff.  I know he put on Johnny Cash's pilled-up song about the Boa Constrictor.  God bless Youtube:

And he felt the need to put on a song by Hank's widow that was...so not very good.

• Like 1

This song is an Appalachian folk song from the 1870s and not written by Lead Belly.  Who knew?  This is beautiful.

-------------------------------------------

Speaking of Lead Belly.

--------------------------------------

I assume the Louvins based their version on this.

• Like 1