DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 44: Rozenstruik vs. Gané (2/27/2021) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

EuOOrvTXYAEhNhi.jpeg?1613355580

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 44: Rozenstruik vs. Gané 
February 27, 2021
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Jairzinho Rozenstruik (254.5) vs. Ciryl Gané (247) - Gane, DEC (unanimous)
Nikita Krylov (205.5) vs. Magomed Ankalaev (205.5) - Ankalaev, DEC (unanimous)
Montana De La Rosa (126) vs. Mayra Bueno Silva (125.5) - DRAW (majority)
Pedro Munhoz (135.5) vs. Jimmie Rivera (135.5) - Munhoz, DEC (unanimous)
Alex Caceres (146) vs. Kevin Croom (145.5) - Caceres, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Thiago Moisés (155.5) vs. Alexander Hernandez (156) - Moisés, DEC (unanimous)
Sabina Mazo (135.5) vs. Alexis Davis (135) - Davis, DEC (unanimous)
Vince Cachero (135.5) vs. Ronnie Lawrence (135.5) - Lawrence, TKO (punches), R3 (3:28)
Dustin Jacoby (204.5) vs. Maxim Grishin (210.5)* - Jacoby, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Ronnie Lawrence
Fight of the Night: Pedro Munhoz vs. Jimmie Rivera

Wow, I just noticed Munhoz vs. Rivera is on this card. That is a great fight on paper and apparently they fought 6 years ago and I have no recollection of it. Split decision. They seem like they are in the same role within the division, that being a gatekeeper to the title fight. 

Connor Ruebusch wrote an article detailing Gane's kicking game that I scanned through. He really has the tools on the feet to give anybody trouble. The way he mixes things up and sets traps patiently is fairly unique at heavyweight in terms of kickers. We knew right away he was one to watch and while sometimes his patience comes across as being risk averse, he's rarely been in trouble so far. 

• Like 1

Fight of the year contender, easy.

Some of these counters are getting stuck right on chins and they're walking through them.

edit: I think Pedro's left eye is hurt. He's been pawing at it quite a bit. Take your pick which punch did it.

Edited by Jiji

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Fight of the year contender, easy.

Some of these counters are getting stuck right on chins and they're walking through them.

I'm really surprised this wasn't made the co-main event. Probably the most evenly matched, high quality fighters on the entire card.

Like a WCW cruiserweight classic where the audience is entirely disengaged at the start but not for long. How was Rivera generating that kind of power with that fucked up lead leg? See how awkward he was in southpaw? 

• Like 1

Damn just came in to see the third round of the ladie's fight

De Le Rosa ate a lot of shots while trying to work a take down and it didn't seem worth it at all. So many elbows and knees

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Damn just came in to see the third round of the ladie's fight

De Le Rosa ate a lot of shots while trying to work a take down and it didn't seem worth it at all. So many elbows and knees

That's just bad fight IQ. 

And while it's boring and Bisping can complain, Gane is fighting the perfect fight for where he's at and for this opponent. Why would he start engaging in long power combinations against a counter puncher that can't hit him when he's jabbing and controlling range.