DVDVR Message Board

2021 Game Deals, Subscriptions Etc.

Tabe

33 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Xenoblade Chronicles is on sale right now and I thought about it but there's no way I can put that many hours into something I can't play with a kid right now. Maybe in a few years. My time is 100% a zero-sum situation currently. If I'm doing this, I'm not only ignoring someone in my household, but I'm also monopolizing the switch and maybe the TV.

If only you had to commute again 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

If only you had to commute again 

That's a possibility in fall. I think the other members of the family might balk at me taking the Switch out of the house from 6 am to 6 pm or whatever, mind you, but we'll see.

For what it's worth, I'm currently playing both Unraveled 2 and Child of Light with the 8 year old. The wife plays Stardew Valley with her but those sort of open materials based games aren't for me. 

I'm thinking of maybe, maybe getting Hades instead at some point but that's friendlier to jumping in, doing a run, and jumping out than a big jRPG, right?

Edited by Matt D

• 2 weeks later...

This might be the first month I don't bother adding anything to my library or downloading anything unless a Plague Tale is good, but I don't know anything about it.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

This might be the first month I don't bother adding anything to my library or downloading anything unless a Plague Tale is good, but I don't know anything about it.

It’s good, trust me.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw people bitching sometime last week about August's PSN games. I don't know about anyone else, but I've been dying to play a tennis game for a little bit now and Mario Tennis just didn't scratch that itch for me.

What would be great is if the people who made Top Spin 1 and 2 made a new tennis game or we could get a THPS 1 and 2 treatment for Virtua Tennis 1-4, but I don't think we're ever getting either.

Tennis World Tour 1 was the only game I've ever bought digitally and demanded my money back. It was horrible. I bought it brand new and it had so many bugs/glitches it was horrible.  If you have PS Now they have a really good tennis game on there. Nothing will compare to Top Spin though.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Tennis World Tour 1 was the only game I've ever bought digitally and demanded my money back. It was horrible. I bought it brand new and it had so many bugs/glitches it was horrible.  If you have PS Now they have a really good tennis game on there. Nothing will compare to Top Spin though.

I bought the other Tennis game AO Tennis 2 or whatever it's called over the holidays and haven't put much time into it. I'm also bad at it. I really miss Top Spin. Those games were the best. Quarantine made me yearn for golf and tennis games, and so I bought both smh. 

I'm curious about Tennis World Tour 2. It seems like a mixed response critically, but it doesn't have near the creation tool that AOT2 does.

Kind of need EA or 2K to do a proper licensed tennis game with a lot of the famous courts. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Either that or do like I said and put out a remastered Virtua Tennis 1 and 2 or 1-4. Then have that team start building a new Virtua Tennis.

There was a 2-3 year period where I played hundreds of hours of tennis video games...I history don't think I've played a single second of a tennis video game before or since. That's how good Virtua Tennis was. I'd be all for a reboot. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

There was a 2-3 year period where I played hundreds of hours of tennis video games...I history don't think I've played a single second of a tennis video game before or since. That's how good Virtua Tennis was. I'd be all for a reboot. 

I did the same thing with one of the Virtua Tennis games on PS3.  Thought I would try to get every trophy, put a lot of time into it.  Haven't played a second of a tennis game since.

Yeah. There was a definitely a period where my friends and I would only play Virtua Tennis, THPS 2, and No Mercy. 3 of us lived in an apartment together and another friend was constantly hanging out over there and sleeping on our couch. The day would basically be school, work, and those games. Way too many hours to even think about.

And I immediately loved Top Spin. It was one of the first Xbox Live games and at one point I think I was 3rd in the world on it. I attributed all of my battles on Virtua Tennis with my friends to why I was so good at Top Spin. Those tennis games also lead me to watch a lot of tennis too. Andy Roddick was the man.

With this Tennis game being PS+, if any of you PS peeps want to give it a go online just to see what it's like, let me know.

I probably should be more active in the Discord. I haven't looked in there since I joined. 

I still need to finish Hades on the Switch but I fully welcome rolling up everything I can while pretending to do work.

And looking at Gamepass it appears Katamari is live in 11 hours so I can't wait to dive into this tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...