DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-Evolution II - 3/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

MJF's true finish is the Salt of Da Earth though. He wins with the piledriver gimmick sometimes but I'm sure he'll be just fine. I popped for it.

Yeah, but the Heatseeker looks better and should be his primary finish. Spindly little middle-aged dudes kicking out of it is not going to get it there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Z said:

I honestly think that Christian was one of WWE's biggest missed opportunities to make a main event level star, as he was over at that level in 2005, during his return in 2009, and in 2011 (even if everything felt misguided after his very popular title win.) Now, in 2021 at age 47, I'm not expecting a main event run, (though I'd be cool with  a Dynamie main event title match against Kenny. I felt satisfied with Christian as the big reveal (and so did the live crowd.

He's about the same age as Jericho when he was working in New Japan and Jericho was pulling out some really good matches. Honestly it looks like Christian is in better shape than Jericho was 3 years ago. I he's not dealing with whatever issues that forced him to retire then I don't see why he shouldn't get a main event run.  He'll definitely be able to pull out some really good matches with a ton of guys. Out of all those legends like Big Show,  Edge and Jericho,  Christian probably has the least wear and tear on him. 

2 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Yeah, but the Heatseeker looks better and should be his primary finish. Spindly little middle-aged dudes kicking out of it is not going to get it there.

They are billed as the greatest tag team of their generation and maybe ever. If this were either Dustin kicking out I'd get it. 

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

MJF using the Heatseeker as his regular finish would be ass.  It’s too contrived of a setup to build matches around.  It would end up like Bandido’s shitty finish.

Yeah, I hate the ring logistics of the Heatseeker and the fucking Widow's Bell that Tomaso Ciampa uses these days.

I would like the Salt of the Earth more if MJF incorporated more heel armwork.   Right now, there is barely any psychology behind his sub finisher.  Not even a fucking shouldebreaker set-up.

Edited by J.T.

I love MJF as a character, but outside the one match with Jungle Boy, I've been really underwhelmed by his ring work. I liked the match last night, but he was clearly the worst guy in the ring by a considerable margin.

But he's also only 24, is a great character and promo, and should certainly continue to improve.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I never really "got" Valentine in ring, tbh. I much prefer Christian. But that's in-ring stuff rather than "what is their national profile" stuff. 

I should probably stop screwing up this thread by veering it way off topic, though. Apologies for all that. 

You need to track down any Valentine/Tito Santana from WWF 1984 you can find. Great stuff.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

MJF using the Heatseeker as his regular finish would be ass.  It’s too contrived of a setup to build matches around.  It would end up like Bandido’s shitty finish.

It requires MJF to be in the ring while his opponent is on the apron. That happens, like, seventeen times in the average match.

4 hours ago, Kev said:

I know they gave Sky a bit of a push early on, but he hasn’t done anything of note in ages and he really doesn’t feel like someone who has much of a higher ceiling. It’ll really have been an underwhelming run for Darby if he loses on Wednesday. 

Agreed, a bit baffled by that outcome. With his only build towards this being that commentary performance last week. He hadn't competed on Dynamite since the battle royal in December and before that was losing to Shawn Spears in November. 

Putting aside the "star" discussion and whether or not he was a disappointment, the possibilities for Christian's One More Matches are tantalizing assuming he can still go at that level.

• Matches with up-and-comers who might have something to learn: MJF, Darby, Jungle Boy, Sammy, Starks, Hobbs, Pillman, Garrison, etc.
  • A tag run where FTR gets to work a dream opponent
  • Him and Cody always had good chemistry, wonder what that looks like in 2021 AEW
  • What does an Omega match look like? Just how badly does Kenny want to V-Trigger this dude back into forced retirement?

*sigh* Watch his first feud be against fucking Jericho.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

What?! Have you forgotten that one time in 2014 when he was sixth banana in an Elimination Chamber match? ?

He got an elimination in that match. I remember to this day because I saw it happened and gave an audible "holy fuck" because I was certain he'd eat the first pin...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Via the post-show virtual media scrum, looks like they're already framing it as Kenny's shoddy workmanship on the final explosion.

That's the best direction they could possibly go with this.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Was very excited for the PPV yesterday and afterwards I can't deny that I feel underwhelmed by what they delivered. If this show were a three course meal, the appetizer was very delicious and the sides with my main dish were good, but the steak just felt undercooked. The main two selling points for me of this PPV were the surprise signing and the intrigue around the main event and I felt like only 1/3 of that was good.

The Christian signing isn't a bad one, but it's nothing earth shattering. They would have been better off flipping the announcements and saving Paul Wight for the PPV. He's the "WWE" guy whereas Christian has already done this thing in TNA. I felt the same way when he showed up 15 years ago for them - he's a good wrestler but I've never viewed him as a main event level "I'm gonna buy this PPV for the main event feturing Christian and..." type guy. I hope TK slows down on the veteran signings as that's now 3 in 3 months with Sting, Paul Wight, and now Christian. To be honest, I'm more excited for Ethan Page in AEW than Christian.

As for the main event, those two guys put their bodies on the line and that's sadly gonna be overlooked due to that ending. Moxley appeared to get cut the hard way on that trash can early on and man was he bleeding profusely in the early stages. I'm more disappointed that the ending didn't go as planned because that would've been some excellent storytelling for Eddie Kingston. I will say, if there's anybody I have faith in to turn it around - it's AEW so I will be eagerly awaiting Wednesday to see what they try and do to salvage this.

Maki Itoh is a star and an excellent surprise to open the night with. Also really enjoyed the cinematic street fight a lot. Feel that will get slept on because of the two misfires, but that was awesome. Brian Cage and Darby both looked really good.

No such thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I love MJF as a character, but outside the one match with Jungle Boy, I've been really underwhelmed by his ring work. I liked the match last night, but he was clearly the worst guy in the ring by a considerable margin.

Considering he was in the ring with Drunk Dad Jericho and the Never Sell Bucks, that's not a real good look.

36 minutes ago, Infinit said:

You need to track down any Valentine/Tito Santana from WWF 1984 you can find. Great stuff.

Seen it, not a big fan of Valentine's IC title run in-ring, though I get that everyone else likes it.

17 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The only Valentine match I truly love is the dog collar match with Piper.

I don't hate his work in general or anything, but he was more often just "there" in my view.

Valentine worked an amazing program with Tito Santana in 1984.  Tito went out on an injury angle where Valentine fake broke Tito's leg with the Figure Four Leglock, and then Tito came back swearing to avenge himself by breaking Valentine's leg with the Figure Four.  The blow-off match was amazing.

You already knew that, though.

The reason most people remember these angles is because Valentine excelled at being a completely repugnant heel and we all wanted him to get what he was due, so I really don't understand why people always say that GV was "just there."  Valentine was more than just passable, IMO.  Fans genuinely wanted Piper to kill him in that dog collar match and they prayed that Santana would shatter his leg into a million pieces during the IC title match..  Greg was a douchebag and it was marvelous.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Another underrated spot in that main event was Moxley using his foot to set off the explosion breaking up the pinfall off the first One Winged Angel.

Nobody has kicked out of the One Winged Angel technically still, right?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I do agree that Christian is obviously a viable Hall of Famer, but he has never, to the best of my knowledge, actually main-evented a WWE PPV. Now that's largely because he never had a real match with Cena, but it is worth saying.

Remember when he had those exchanges with the Rock when he turned heel and got himself over or even his feud with Jericho. He was smart enough to realize that once he didn't get a one on one program with Cena,it was time to go. He was the first big star to go to TNA on his own. Not recently fired or let go, he made the decision on his own. Austin talks about going out and getting yourself over,  well I think Christian did everything on his own part to get over in WWE. That deserves a lot of credit.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Valentine worked an amazing program with Tito Santana in 1984.  Tito went out on an injury angle where Valentine fake broke Tito's leg with the Figure Four Leglock, and then Tito came back swearing to avenge himself by breaking Valentine's leg with the Figure Four.  The blow-off match was amazing.

You already knew that, though.

The reason most people remember these angles is because Valentine excelled at being a completely repugnant heel and we all wanted him to get what he was due, so I really don't understand why people always say that GV was "just there."  Valentine was more than just passable, IMO.  Fans genuinely wanted Piper to kill him in that dog collar match and they prayed that Santana would shatter his leg into a million pieces during the IC title match..  Greg was a douchebag and it was marvelous.

It might have to do with age. I've seen some of the Santana matches, I've seen the dog collar match, etc. But I was barely two when Starrcade happened, I didn't turn three until September of 84, etc. I've never seen the weekly tv leading to them, don't have the emotional attachment to it, etc. And, for the most part, his work in the matches is, to me, fine, but nothing beyond that.

• Like 2