DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-Evolution II - 3/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

My expectations weren't as high, but this show still fell flat for me.

The battle royale had some decent sequences and both the tag titles and women's title matches were good.

Best Friends/Miro and Kip was basically just an angle they could have done on Dynamite.

Hardy/Page was fine but I didn't really care about it.

The ladder match had a few decent spots but wasn't very good overall. You had a few near botches, Archer laying around sandwiched in the ladder acting like he was stuck in a bear trap waiting for the next spot, and way too many people lying around while something was going on in the ring. Plus the asinine bit of Cody acting injured only to come back out for the end. Good for Scorpio for winning though.

I'm sure Christian can bring a lot of expertise to the backstage area and hiring him as an agent or booker is one thing, but the last thing AEW needs is more "legends" who can't do anything in-ring.

The cinematic match had some nice production and was about as good as a match like that is going to get. I wonder if that was actually Sting in there the whole time?

When the stipulation for the main event was announced I was incredulous about it actually happening as I couldn't imagine Omega taking bumps in something like that, nor it being on the level of one of the FMW events. Once it became apparent they were going through with it, I expected a WWE style ultra sanitized hardcore match. This was a few steps above that, but still pretty tame if you're used to watching deathmatches. I watched GCW's show yesterday and yeah, it's one of those styles of match that's best left without this sort of polish. This match was much more in need of the cinematic treatment if they wanted it to actually come off as brutal.

• Like 1

I feel like as much as I enjoy AEW TV, they do have a problem of internally trying to put on too many "good matches" (in the thinking that long = good) on PPV and they could actually help themselves by having one or two more matches/segments that cut the average time across the board down by at least 5 minutes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, just drew said:

Now you gotta have Kenny or Don cut a promo on Wednesday about how their shit malfunctioned. Maybe have Gallows and Anderson beat up some crew guys that wired the ring wrong. That cannot have been what was supposed to happen. 

Hear me out on this; there's a way this can be salvaged - it was stated that Callis and Omega built the entire...contraption? Have them come out and say the ending explosion was done that way on purpose. Either to psyche out Moxley or (second-handledly) cause embarrassment to someone trying to help him.

Buuuuuut, the above would not explain the sell job those two did afterward. I'm guessing they couldn't break the fourth wall/character/script?

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I enjoyed this show until the ending. Do I now regret buying that shirt Kenny was wearing before the match was over? Maybe

To be fair, I wanted that shirt the second I saw it too.  I was just too lazy to immediately do anything about it.

• Like 1

If Eddie had sold it like Terry Funk at the end of KotDM 95, that would have made sense.

I think the Mox vs Omega feud is cursed. The biggest spot in the title change match was blown too (Kenny was supposed to get thrown off the top into the Ringside Heater, but he fell off and landed next to it; It's why Callis' whole "He's hurt, he's hurt" seemed so out of nowhere).

23 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Sigh.

You know, you REALLY feel the whole four hour length of the show when it's not very good.

My MOTN was the opener, maybe?

Women's title match was interesting, seemed to be very polarizing based on my Twitter feed.  I literally laughed out loud at (unless I missed something) Ryo apparently eating the knee strike and then immediately rolling up Hikaru for 2.

I have to say, this show wasn't worth watching live at 1am-4:45am Monday morning time and having done UFC 259 from 2am-6am Sunday morning UK time. It's only second time I've felt that way about an AEW PPV. I enjoyed the UFC PPV more.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 2

Just now, Raziel said:

I thought for sure the dud was on purpose

Until Kingston sold it like death.

What about Excalibur's pure horror at that dreck? It's like Tony Khan didn't let him in on the joke and let him know what was supposed to be happening.

Why not just make like a lights out barbed wire rope match, just leave out the explosion part if you can't do them. Barbed wire ropes is already a bit excessive.

Yeah, AEW deserved to get dragged for this, what a shit show.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

They really needed to call an audible and not have the announcers try to put it over so hard and tell Eddie to get up. 

I'm sure there's at least a verbal way out of that with like, concussive blasts and how disorienting they can be. I've worked on some film sets with effects like that going off and even in a controlled, closed environment, you can feel like you got punched in the chest by a pyro effect that doesn't look all that impressive. Kingston's a good enough promo that he can claim he was stunned or something. You just HAVE to provide an explanation and not pretend that went the way it was supposed to. 

Just now, For Great Justice said:

Did they subcontract the explosives deal to Kickin Wing?

I needed that chuckle. Thank you. Clearly not enough "Doosker Don'ts..."

• Haha 1

First AEW PPV. And my last.

I knew that before the ring “exploded.” I actually enjoyed the main event for the most part (though the blood seemed a little... not bloody). The street fight was fun but also felt like a bit of a bait and switch. I liked Miro on offense more than almost anything else on the show.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

There's actually only really been 2 good ones, and those were a stretch, and almost exclusively due to Onita.

Megumi’s retirement match against Shark is pretty great. It was labeled the exact same way as this one - Exploding Barbwire Deathmatch. AEW’s version was like a hodgepodge of multiple types.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

I'm sure there's at least a verbal way out of that with like, concussive blasts and how disorienting they can be. I've worked on some film sets with effects like that going off and even in a controlled, closed environment, you can feel like you got punched in the chest by a pyro effect that doesn't look all that impressive. Kingston's a good enough promo that he can claim he was stunned or something. You just HAVE to provide an explanation and not pretend that went the way it was supposed to. 

The announcers were trying to sell that the explosion generated some intense heat so they may end up going with a combination of those explanations.

• Haha 1