DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-Evolution II - 3/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I know I definitely don't speak to all consumers, but don't buy a PPV solely on a fucking ring "blowing up" by way of fireworks. The idea of Moxley vs Omega in a barbed wire match where hitting the ropes or taking bumps onto the "land mines" sold me enough, not to mention the rest of the card. The ring potentially blowing up was like, whatever. I guess that's why I'm not horribly bothered by the end explosion. That part of the match was never that big to me to begin with. The match itself still delivered, but I would have preferred more bumps onto the landmines and less of the Good Brothers.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

all of us felt burned. 

Well, the fans were the only ones getting burned on this one. Considering how things went, at least Kingston would probably prefer some minor burns rather than looking like a moron.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Okay thank you for telling me how to properly consume. 

Insert Yano.gif here

Personally, if I were a teenager, I probably would have wanted to order that PPV based on dudes getting blown up and the ring exploding. I'm older though and know that a lot of that shit is smoke and mirrors, so I was more invested in the actual match and explosions going off during the match itself. Now, if the match went the full 30 and all of the explosions went off then, that would have been even worse. It's probably a good thing they ended the match when they did.

If you bought it solely because of the ring exploding aspect, then I would think that's a little misguided, but that's just me. You have different tastes. That's cool.

And what the fuck do I know anyway. I pre-ordered and bought both Avengers and Cyberpunk.

• Haha 1

I've been buying AEW PPVs regardless because I want to support them. There is no greater spectacle in wrestling than FMW-style exploding matches, so yeah, I was fucking hyped for that. Big Dave even said that if the ending explosion sucks no matter how great the match is, that's all people will remember. I thought the match was fantastic even with the weak ass landmine explosion. One of my favourite deathmatches I've seen but Dave was spot on. They promised us FMW and gave us that. I don't care what the explanation is, that is bad promoting. It doesn't mean I'll stop watching but they shouldn't be given a free pass either. If we don't try, and I know we count for less and less in the modern capitalist world, to hold them accountable how will they be any different than WWE in the long run? Promoters/providers of any good or service should be kept honest and have some element of fear of (or at least respect for) their consumers. 

And yeah, after Cyberpunk, I'm never preordering a game again, lol. At least I got my money back on that nightmare.

• Like 6

I was so bummed about the bomb that I haven’t even been able to muster the enthusiasm to get on here to talk about things that I liked (and I really enjoyed most of the show, besides the shitty ladder match).

I really liked Hangman/Hardy.  I honestly don’t get most of the criticism of Hardy’s ring work around here at all.  Yes, he’s limited, but he never tries to do stuff that he physically can’t do in the ring, so it’s rarely a detriment to the match.  And because he knows his limits (err, as long they don’t involve taking bumps on concrete), he can focus on letting his opponents shine, and Hangman looked great in this match because of him.  I’m really interested to see how he shines up the Dark Order next.

• Like 6

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think I’d of had Hardy beat Page. Page losses his Q1 earnings falls into a deeper darker drunker hole. I feel like the Dark Order trying to help Adam Page see the light could have been stretched out for a little longer. Good match though. 

Just now, Web Conn said:

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think I’d of had Hardy beat Page. Page losses his Q1 earnings falls into a deeper darker drunker hole. I feel like the Dark Order trying to help Adam Page see the light could have been stretched out for a little longer. Good match though. 

They're priming Page to come out of his depression and win the title probably at All Out would be my guess. No fucking way should Matt Hardy beat him under any circumstances. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jiji said:

They're priming Page to come out of his depression and win the title probably at All Out would be my guess. No fucking way should Matt Hardy beat him under any circumstances. 

That seems too early to me to have Page win the title. I’d give Kenny a long reign like over a year reign. I was thinking Page unseat him at next years Revolution. I’d have pushed Page accepting he deserves to join the Dark Order to Double or Nothing at least. 

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I've been buying AEW PPVs regardless because I want to support them. There is no greater spectacle in wrestling than FMW-style exploding matches, so yeah, I was fucking hyped for that. Big Dave even said that if the ending explosion sucks no matter how great the match is, that's all people will remember. I thought the match was fantastic even with the weak ass landmine explosion. One of my favourite deathmatches I've seen but Dave was spot on. They promised us FMW and gave us that. I don't care what the explanation is, that is bad promoting. It doesn't mean I'll stop watching but they shouldn't be given a free pass either. If we don't try, and I know we count for less and less in the modern capitalist world, to hold them accountable how will they be any different than WWE in the long run? Promoters/providers of any good or service should be kept honest and have some element of fear of (or at least respect for) their consumers. 

And yeah, after Cyberpunk, I'm never preordering a game again, lol. At least I got my money back on that nightmare.

At the same time, shit happens. It's not like they planned on their big fireworks finale turning into the equivalent of those dumb fucking firework snakes that grow when you light them. I get the disappointment. I was disappointed too. I would be downright pissed if the plan was to bait and switch folks, but AEW isn't in the business of bait and switching. This also isn't to let them off the hook. They need to learn from this like they've learned from other mishaps. Either learn to do it right next time, or, better yet, don't do it at all. While I thought this was a better match between Kenny and Moxley, I thought their lights out match was more gruesome and more of a spectacle.

Also, I'm not sure it needs to be said, but Tony is as much of a fan of this stuff as we are. He's not a septuagenarian ghoul where everyone says he really cares about the product, but in reality, he cares about what he likes. I trust Tony or Callis/D'Amore or Gedo to learn from their mistakes. I can't say the same about Vince.

To @Shartnado’s point about the volume of discussion for this PPV, it seems nothing gets the juices of the wrestling community flowing and brings people together like shared mockery or commiseration of mishaps and wrestlecrap. (Cf. Titus taking a dive on the way to the ring, and, to a lesser extent, ‘my hole!’)

That, and glimpses of brilliance in an otherwise unremarkable product that remind us why we love wrestling the first place (I remember the fervour in the thread after the Nexus attack, for example).

• Like 3

D'amore/Callis/Impact doesn't seem to have learned anything from their terrible week to week booking.  And for all involved, they don't seem to have learned from pretty long careers of dreadful booking.  Also, I sometimes wonder if D'Amore has ever seen himself on camera?  If ever there was a performer who ought not be a performer it's Scott D'Amore.  He has no mic skills or presence, and he's been at this for decades.  Jimmy Jacobs is apparently their lead booker right now.  I've tried watching Impact, but there is next to nothing to keep my interest.  Between just awful backstage skits to convulted match creative to a new standard of crap in ring promos.  Oh, and the crowd sound effects they're currently using offer a new low of terrible production.  I sometimes wonder if they're booking to get themselves employed in the WWE writers room.  

I like Tony Khan and what he's accomplished thus far.  I like him even more after hearing him on Busted Open do a Goodfellas 'Jimmy' Deniro: It's gonna be a good summer!  I think he does learn from mistakes.  At least, he did.  I sometimes worry he's being sucked up into the wrestling bubble, sooner than later, where constructive criticism no longer matters.  I worry, but I'm not sure were there yet.  I will say his handling of questions related to criticisms is disheartening.  He dodges harder questions and spins whatever he likes.  I would have been fine with the mishap had they offered a simple post-PPV apology.  I'm cool with the k5 Omega built a dud angle, but I'm disappointed with the inability to take some responsibility.  That said, there's still time to issue an apology - do it on Dynamite.  It'd go a long way to restoring that well deserved goodwill they've built up.  

• Sad 1

If anybody can make chicken salad out of chicken shit, it's Eddie Kingston. 

Also I'm still waiting for the time AEW signs an older wrestler/legend that overshadows the younger talent involved. I'm a big fan of the company but I also understand a lot of the criticisms people have of them, but their track record as far as handling older wrestlers signing with a company has been fucking great so far. 

• Like 2

Holy shit. Why do some of you still want an apology? I can't think of anything dumber than doing that. We already reviewed why that would be extremely poor and the counterpoint someone brought up was Dana White making an apology. UFC is a real sport. AEW is scripted entertainment. If something got fucked up during SNL, would Lorne Michaels come out to apologize for the mishap? Would he apologize for any of the shittyness of SNL throughout the years? No. I can't begin to imagine how fucking weird and awkward it would be if an apology were issued on air for something that didn't happen the way it was planned.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Holy shit. Why do some of you still want an apology? 

Let me try again:

Because AEW has absolutely positioned themselves as a more honest, relatable, fan-friendly alternative to WWE. Now is the time to lean into and reinforce that. Now is not in any way the time to shift into spinning bullshit, carny style. You had Excalibur reacting like it was a huge explosion and Kingston selling like he was half dead. Everybody saw that. It's painfully obvious things didn't go as planned. Acknowledging that would be much much much better and fit AEW's"we listen to and respect our fans" image much much much better than being all "we meant to do that" when it's obvious that is not the case.

• Like 1

Just now, El Gran Gordi said:

Let me try again:

Because AEW has absolutely positioned themselves as a more honest, relatable, fan-friendly alternative to WWE. Now is the time to lean into and reinforce that. Now is not in any way the time to shift into spinning bullshit, carny style. You had Excalibur reacting like it was a huge explosion and Kingston selling like he was half dead. Everybody saw that. It's painfully obvious things didn't go as planned. Acknowledging that would be much much much better and fit AEW's"we listen to and respect our fans" image much much much better than being all "we meant to do that" when it's obvious that is not the case.

I can't even. So every time something goes wrong they have to go out there and apologize? Actions speak louder than words. I'd rather see them try to fix this and move on as opposed to coming out, saying "hey, we apologize, the exploding ring didn't go down as planned, but we'll try to be better going forward. Now, please resume going back to treating the rest of this wrestling program as if it were real and ignore me breaking kayfabe just now." 

• Like 1

It took me 3 days to get through the PPV. I'm ok with that - watching it in 1 hour sections helps I feel. 

I thought it was an overall solid show. I liked all the matches - the opener was fun, and I really digged the womens match. Brian Cage and Ricky Starks are a really intriguing duo. I think they have great chemistry together and I hope they retain some level of working friendship throughout their career. As an evil duo they are fantastic together - and to add Brian Cage's supercar in the intro even added that extra layer of "you really hate this guy" vibe. 

Due to the fact that I've binged Cobra Kai 3x in the last month - I thought they were saying "Hawk is here!" instead of Hook... and I really wanted to see Hawk and his mohawk throwing kicks at Darby. 

Onita is still the King of the Explosions... though I can totally see Kenny Omega upping the ante next time he goes up against Mox with an Exploding Firecracker in the Ass match. The North American market might almost be ready for that.

22 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

As an evil duo they are fantastic together - and to add Brian Cage's supercar in the intro even added that extra layer of "you really hate this guy" vibe. 

That car looked awfully familiar and I think it was used when they had the intro videos for Shawn Spears of all people.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was TK's car they were borrowing as going from memory it looked like the same car.

8 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That car looked awfully familiar and I think it was used when they had the intro videos for Shawn Spears of all people.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was TK's car they were borrowing as going from memory it looked like the same car.

Nice of Tony to roll in a somewhat environmentally responsible supercar in the form of an i8, if so. (pretty sure that's what was shown on Sunday, didn't see the previous appearance of it)

• Like 1

I’ll say this much in the debate here on the page.  I understand the reasons both sides are bringing to the table.  

However...

I’ll compare the embarrassment of the lack of exploding at Revolution to the end of Royal Rumble 92.  LIVE, that crowd in Albany turned on Hogan.  They booed Hogan’s  “8 years into his run” stale ass for the new hotness of SID because the baby face pulled some heel shit and got unexpectedly called on it. The next weekend on Superstars they straight up  re-recorded the commentary and edited the crowd response in the clips they showed. A straight up attempt at deception.

This is the kinda shit that puts AEW in the place of even being thought of as the antidote to WWE and their adversarial nonsense.  

So when AEW decides to favor it’s continuity in order to continue on?  I’m in favor of that.  I saw what happened.  I’m not being fooled.  Besides, that chicken shit does taste more like chicken salad now that Kingston has reframed the narrative as thread bare as it is.  NOW let’s move as far away from this as possible.

Hopefully, that’s not too hard to empathize with.

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 2