DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-Evolution II - 3/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

22 minutes ago, A_K said:

To be honest they should have just had Omega/Bullet Club come out & point and laugh hysterically when the timid explosion went up. The true thoroughbred athlete Omega infantilising Moxley's hardcore fetish by constructing a gun that shoots a paper flag out of it. A sort of "final joke" as it were. Pretend it was intentional & that there was no kick for Moxley at the end of the rainbow even had he won.

I was thinking about that too and if Mox and Kingston didn't sell it like death then there's a slight chance that could have salvaged it.  But then there's still the issue of not only Mox needing a storyline reason to go home and be a dad but also the fact that people would have still felt cheated for paying money and not delivering on the promise.  Yeah he could still just go home but if there was no MDK moment then he's seen as tucking his tail.  And the idea of one of the EVPs purposely screwing up the promise of an explosion just doesn't sit right with me.

21 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I was thinking about that too and if Mox and Kingston didn't sell it like death then there's a slight chance that could have salvaged it.  But then there's still the issue of not only Mox needing a storyline reason to go home and be a dad but also the fact that people would have still felt cheated for paying money and not delivering on the promise.  Yeah he could still just go home but if there was no MDK moment then he's seen as tucking his tail.  And the idea of one of the EVPs purposely screwing up the promise of an explosion just doesn't sit right with me.

Omega is a heel. It would be perfectly in keeping for him to put the middle finger up to the audience & Moxley. Have him give a blood-soaked promo to end the show denigrating the animals at home baying for blood & infantilising Moxley -- have him, the champion, rise above the masses & peasantry antics. If they need to put Moxley out for a legit reason then put him in a sub lock until something breaks on Wednesday Dynamite then have him out that way. Then you have a nice segue into Omega having a non-gimmicky feud with his next challenger. This all of course assumes very quick thinking (assuming, that is, the end explosion was intended to be meaningfully bigger .. and I'm still not 100% sold on that all things considered) or a complete change in tack of storyline.

Edited by A_K

The shitty thing is that there's a ton of ways to salvage this, but none of them work because of how much Eddie and Moxley sold it. I also don't think coming out and apologizing for it works either. That's such a breaking down of the 4th wall that I don't want to see it. I'd rather they show me they'll fix it than say they're sorry and they'll be better. Again, shit happens. Where they go from here, I don't know.

The match certainly felt like a blow off to the feud for now. I think Moxley and Kenny will be going at it for forever, but they'll take a break for now. So where does Moxley go from here? Who challenges Kenny next? What's next for the Best Friends and Miro? What happens with the annual Scorpio Sky push? What happens with Team Taz?

These are exciting questions. It felt like a TON got blown off the other night. I keep thinking about AEW being booked like a comic book series and Revolution basically ended many long story arcs. Now it's time to see where we go next.

• Like 2

Apologising for it is not an option & continuing that dope-like exclamation of it such as by Excalibur is most obviously not an option either. Really the only tidy way of putting this behind them IMO is shifting the intention to Omega, dip a little more into chicken-shit-heel territory & needing that mob-interference to survive then quickly put this in the rear view mirror. Alternatively just forget it even happened and don't in any way shape or form acknowledge it.

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The match certainly felt like a blow off to the feud for now. I think Moxley and Kenny will be going at it for forever, but they'll take a break for now. So where does Moxley go from here? Who challenges Kenny next? What's next for the Best Friends and Miro? What happens with the annual Scorpio Sky push? What happens with Team Taz?

I think Kenny needs to visit Impact and have a feud with Rich Swann.  They had that tag match in January so it would make sense for those two to have something going.  And since the door's open that's something that could play out on AEW as well if they choose.  Plus it would mean no gimmick matches needed which would be nice.  Barring that there's always a feud with whoever's next up in the rankings.  But for whichever way they go they need to get that rolling at full steam tomorrow and do their best to move on.  And I say that because I have a feeling that there will be people hanging onto this for some time despite the company's intentions so the sooner people talk about something else the better.

Ah, fuck it you know what'll get people to shutup about it?  Just bring in a big name from New Japan (quarantine and all) and get a feud going.  I might be mostly joking but if they went through with let's say Omega/Suzuki then that would do wonders.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Scorpio has his title match tomorrow. I think he more or less has to win, but we'll see what they do. I don't really see much in him, but we'll see I guess.

I'm not sure where else you go with Best Friends and Miro right now. I'd almost be inclined to take the former off TV right now. Would I really build to MIro losing to Cassidy. I don't think I would.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I think Kenny needs to visit Impact and have a feud with Rich Swann.  They had that tag match in January so it would make sense for those two to have something going.  And since the door's open that's something that could play out on AEW as well if they choose.  Plus it would mean no gimmick matches needed which would be nice.  Barring that there's always a feud with whoever's next up in the rankings.

TBH I think more iMPACT BS is the last thing they need. After the joke that was Sunday night they need to distance themselves as much as possible from low budget, low production-value provincial going-ons -- of which iMPACT is the absolute crown-prince epitome. Close ranks, close gates and get focus on fixing the kinks that keep creeping in up & down the card despite some very good work too. There's way too many irons in the fire. They are a primetime TV show - get back to acting like it and drop the hangers-on.

Edited by A_K
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, A_K said:

TBH I think more iMPACT BS is the last thing they need. After the joke that was Sunday night they need to distance themselves as much as possible from low budget, low production-value provincial going-ons -- of which iMPACT is the absolute crown-prince epitome. Close ranks, close gates and get focus on fixing the kinks that keep creeping in up & down the card despite some very good work too. There's way too many irons in the fire.

Fair point.  I'm tired of Gallows/Anderson anyway especially with their jokes that wore thin on me.  So having them stay on Impact while Kenny feuds with somebody in the rankings works for me and they can always go full strength later on.

6 minutes ago, A_K said:

Apologising for it is not an option & continuing that dope-like exclamation of it such as by Excalibur is most obviously not an option either. Really the only tidy way of putting this behind them IMO is shifting the intention to Omega, dip a little more into chicken-shit-heel territory & needing that mob-interference to survive then quickly put this in the rear view mirror. Alternatively just forget it even happened and don't in any way shape or form acknowledge it.

Pretty sure the best move at this point is to have Private Eye from CHIKARA to come in to figure out where Kenny got the explosives from, and then have it turn out that it was through his IMPACT connections, and ultimately tie it back to Dixie Carter and Panda Energy. Isn't that the sort of thing they use BTE for?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Trying to salvage it would be tough but that's mostly down to Kingston's selling.

I would turn it into a character beat for him. Have him cut a sad, maybe even tearful, promo - He thought Mox was gonna die and he panicked/hyperventilated/blacked out while trying to cover his BFF. He could absolutely sell that.

Omega takes the "I built a ring made of sparklers because you hardcore guys are a joke." angle.

Kingston goes after Omega next but can't overcome the numbers game.

Then when Mox gets back they team up and go after the whole "Club" and we can get a handicap or 6 man in a Moxley approved exploding ring at Revolution 2022.

• Like 3

Maybe they could start teasing Page vs Omega. DoN is a little less than 3 months away. You could start teasing shit between them now I suppose, but in the meanwhile, Kenny defends against Swann or whatever.

Not to pre-empt the upcoming CoachTonyK Christian vs The World poll series, but Christian isn't Sting. They need to put him in the ring and show what he can do sooner rather than later. Yeah they went cinematic at the PPV, but it looks like Sting can handle a 6 man tag so you build towards Team Taz vs Sting/Alllin/Christian in a few weeks and you can do Christian vs Starks either before or after that. 

If he's really good to go, like proper good, then have him do a series where he takes on a bunch of guys. Let him just work through Chuck Taylor, Caster, Butcher, Wheeler, Harwood, Silver, Vance, Kazarian etc. Not matches that you really need to worry about giving away, but let's see the Instant Classic do what he's supposed to be capable of. I don't mean that in a snarky way; people liked the Cody Open Challenge and I just feel Christian can probably do that without the belt.

And yeah let's have Dustin vs Christian while we still can.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Christian Cage and Adam Page vs Brian Cage and Ethan Page would actually be cool. That's all I got, didn't watch the show ??

Reminds me of an old PWG show where Chuck Taylor teamed in a six man with Ryan Taylor (no relation) and Brian Cage, so Excalibur on the fly dubbed him Brian Cage-Taylor, declared they were cousins, THE FIGHTIN' TAYLOR BOYS.  I think they stayed as a team for a few shows.  ?

For Moxley and Omega, just have Moxley come out with a shopping cart full of plunder, barbed wire, and explosives.  "Omega, I don't know what happened, but that's not how we finish this!  I want a exploding barbed wire death rematch tonight!"  Just hand wave the whole deal and for fuck's sake make sure it looks good this time.  Shit, pre-record it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, A_K said:

I like the idea of a serious apology off the top of the show.  Leading to Omega/Callis making a claim to their work, or being so pissed at the explosion failure that they set-up a new opportunity to blow up the ring with Kingston and Moxley in it, and then work towards a do over (minus the dramatic Kingston save).  Get Moxley and Kingston in the ring, lay them out, and blow it up.  If it's too dangerous to do what they were planning for on Sunday then use some smoke and mirrors and production.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus

put me in the camp of AEW needs an editor. Someone to filter out the bad ideas and tell Matt Hardy and Sammy that "no your not going to do that spot". Along with moving some of these seemingly never ending angles, like the Wedding, Team Tazz v Sting / Darby, and The Inner Circle  along.

Also someone to realize that doing the same tropes whether its outside interference, post match heat segment, or interview segments that get interrupted look bad if you do them over and over again 

• Like 6

The "it was a dud" claim seems to run contrary to TK's initial tweets of them not actually blowing people up. Either way, I think it's best to just let it go. Show a few clips of the more painful looking spots, have Kenny claim he finally put Moxley down, yadda yadd yadda, and start up the next feud. The show was a letdown IMO, but in other places I've read people seem satisfied with the show more than not. I hope they use this as an opportunity to see areas they need to improve on and tap all the veterans they're hiring for some advice and match agents. I'm reminded of when ECW started doing PPVs. Barely Legal was a hit, then they had their share of misses as well.

• Like 1