DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-Evolution II - 3/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

The biggest problem with ladder match was it looked too much like Cody was winning and Pentagon doing nothing to make you think he wanted to win.   Archer looked great but again felt he was more about pain them winning 

Penta being more interested in posing than wrestling is, sadly, 100% consistent with his character these days.

• Like 3

Also worthy of note, amongst all the (rightful) negativity about the ending - apparently Big Swole had a flare-up of her Crohn's Disease, and that's why she's been missing lately and wasn't in the eliminator tournament. Given the promo she cut on Dark, though, I'm assuming she's coming out on the right side of it, so that's good news.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, matwarz said:

Given the pyro from the turnbuckles I’m pretty sure that ending was intentional. As this is pro-wrestling I’m not surprised this was someone’s idea, what surprises me is that they somehow didn’t suspect every man and his dog shitting all over it. I mean seriously, how does that not drive punters away?

You could see some of the explosive devices under the ring ready to get pulled out for the ending when Mox/Kenny were selling the DDT through the boards 

Guest Edwin

Aside from Kingston still selling while Mox cut the promo, Excalibur still put it over as a brutal explosion on commentary. Definitely best to just ignore it and move on and not put it over as an Omega swerve as you make both King and Excalibur look like buffoons.

Edited by Edwin

God, I am so fucking sad right now. This would've been such a massive week for them after delivering that great Shaq episode and then a strong card on paper and most of it living up to the hype. Then poof. A queef of smoke and some sparklers. I want to slap Tony Khan and I'm not violent. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, matwarz said:

Given the pyro from the turnbuckles I’m pretty sure that ending was intentional. As this is pro-wrestling I’m not surprised this was someone’s idea, what surprises me is that they somehow didn’t suspect every man and his dog shitting all over it. I mean seriously, how does that not drive punters away?

I mean they had to test it before hand and know what it would look like. And considering the same shit happened in one of the most famous versions of this match ever (Foley/Funk) how could they believe fans wouldn’t shit on it? 

Honestly they could have just left it at the ropes. The ring didn’t need to blow up and the outside the ring boards looked bad too. Just the ropes would have been fine if they were insisting on doing this sort of match with a crowd. 

• Like 2

I just don’t understand why you don’t rehearse that shit over and over and over until you’re sure it’s gonna go off just right.  You’ve got a billion dollars, you can burn some extra pyro.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

God, I am so fucking sad right now. This would've been such a massive week for them after delivering that great Shaq episode and then a strong card on paper and most of it living up to the hype. Then poof. A queef of smoke and some sparklers. I want to slap Tony Khan and I'm not violent. 

I'm not convinced that Tony Khan enjoys deathmatch wrestling, either. Just because they've had "extreme" spots in matches before, doesn't mean that he understands or likes the concept of stuff like this - case in point, his comments at the scrum about "unless the fans wanted us to blow up the wrestlers, there's only so much we can do". It's not real C4, and you're in an outside venue (and you have an actual football stadium right next door). I know he used to go to ECW shows when he was younger, but they pail in comparison to FMW and W*ING in how violent they could be (and they were clearly hyping this up to be on that level). You've got deathmatch workers on your roster. You reached out to fucking Onita himself. Ask how to make it better!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

I actually don't care that much about the ending, though it obviously didn't look great. A lot of that is I had no huge desire to see an exploding ring after the match (kayfabe or not), hence my solution being avoiding it altogether through Eddie turning off the alarm. I expect there to be an outsize reaction for the ending, cause that's what happens in world these days, but also everyone's short attention spans will forget about it soon enough anyway. Also, I do find it interesting that a lot of the people complaining about the exploding ring fizzing out were the same people that had an aneurysm about how AEW handled Matt Hardy at All Out last year. It's probably that I'm not imaginative enough to how you can make an exploding ring safe, but was good for the explosions for the match itself.

Instead of making the botched explosion a storyline, I'd rather AEW admit they fucked up. I think they'd get more credit for that. I wish AEW came clean when Matt Hardy got KTFO vs. Sammy Guevara at AEW All Out 2020 and say we messed up restarting it. Be honest.

• Like 1

Has anybody been hurt by the FMW style explosions? The only real "oh shit, that guy is in bad shape" things I remember from BJW/FMW was the flaming table spots and barbed wire.

But, fuck, I really loved the match up until the finish. Mox and Omega are just so great and it was their best match to date and probably the first that I felt they both really clicked and made it fully work despite the lame fx. But that finish and post-match. ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Has anybody been hurt by the FMW style explosions? The only real "oh shit, that guy is in bad shape" things I remember from BJW/FMW was the flaming table spots and barbed wire.

But, fuck, I really loved the match up until the finish. Mox and Omega are just so great and it was their best match to date and probably the first that I felt they both really clicked and made it fully work despite the lame fx. But that finish and post-match. ?

Best Omega/Moxley match by far. Feel for them and Eddie Kingston.

Edited by The Natural

2 minutes ago, Big Z said:

I actually don't care that much about the ending, though it obviously didn't look great. A lot of that is I had no huge desire to see an exploding ring after the match (kayfabe or not), hence my solution being avoiding it altogether through Eddie turning off the alarm. I expect there to be an outsize reaction for the ending, cause that's what happens in world these days, but also everyone's short attention spans will forget about it soon enough anyway. Also, I do find it interesting that a lot of the people complaining about the exploding ring fizzing out were the same people that had an aneurysm about how AEW handled Matt Hardy at All Out last year. It's probably that I'm not imaginative enough to how you can make an exploding ring safe, but was good for the explosions for the match itself.

Again, those FMW explosions look amazing and I don't think they really hurt anybody unless I'm forgetting something. I can not like letting a clearly concussed Matt Hardy continue to work and still want FMW explosions without being entirely hypocritical. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

I wonder if he went to that Mahoney/Grimes exploding match ECW did in 2000 

It would make a lot of sense, given that the board bump went off in the same exact manner as the boards on the outside of this match (and the ring itself).

EDIT: Wait, do some people actually think these exploding matches are REAL? It's smoke and pyro and "clever" theater. You ignore how silly the idea of an exploding ring is, or that they're advertising fucking C4, because the fake explosion is so loud and massive.

EDIT 2: Regardless of if the outcome and been better, I still enjoyed their Full Gear 2019 match way more. I've rewatched that thing a handful of times since it happened, and I rarely do that anymore.

Edited by Casey

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

I can see not loving the finish with the interference, as Omega does not come out looking real strong after that. If you want to re-write that, have Moxley make a mistake due to his emotions, and Kenny outsmart his for a win. Outside interference between seems like the fad these days in both AEW and New Japan (at least with the biggest heels), and would agree that it should be limited to say managers maybe once a twice or night (and more like the Tully level once or twice a match, and not the Dick Togo level where it may as well be a handicap match).

• Like 1

I can’t for the life of me understand why they didn’t have a seperate ring set up in the stadium and do it there. There must have been limitations for placed on them and they must have been fully aware of them. In which case a straight no rope barbed wire would have done the job just fine.

• Like 5

I want to go to sleep but I know I'm going to be just crushed by that ending for another 2 hours. Plus, a coworker needs me to come in tomorrow so I can't take the day off and I still hit up an edible. Life is hard, guys. ?

• Like 1

Just now, matwarz said:

I can’t for the life of me understand why they didn’t have a seperate ring set up in the stadium and do it there. There must have been limitations for placed on them and they must have been fully aware of them. In which case a straight no rope barbed wire would have done the job just fine.

They had 1,200 fans in attendance - if I'd have been there and had to watch the last 2 matches on a video screen - that would have sucked

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

It would make a lot of sense, given that the board bump went off in the same exact manner as the boards on the outside of this match (and the ring itself).

EDIT: Wait, do some people actually think these exploding matches are REAL? It's smoke and pyro and "clever" theater. You ignore how silly the idea of an exploding ring is, or that they're advertising fucking C4, because the fake explosion is so loud and massive.

EDIT 2: Regardless of if the outcome and been better, I still enjoyed their Full Gear 2019 match way more. I've rewatched that thing a handful of times since it happened, and I rarely do that anymore.

For me, I'd guess it's the combination of not being a huge death match guy, and also not a fan of action movies and big explosions to begin with. Good news is that AEW is most likely done with both for a long awhile now.