DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-Evolution II - 3/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Also, as someone who’s stood in the wrong place more than once on a film set; those “little explosions” hurt like a motherfucker. I lost hearing and had sore ribs for a week from a blast just like the ones from that ending that ended up looking so bad they didn’t even make the movie. Eddie has some outs. It ain’t good, but it ain’t company-killing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TheVileOne said:

Then they shouldn't have made it an EXPLODING Death Match and marketed around that novelty. 

There have been exploding matches before that didn’t involve the ring itself. That’s where they made the mistake, really. The rope explosions looked fine. The boards on the outside, not so much, but could have been improved and rigged in a similar way to look at least a little bit more impressive.

But yeah, if they didn’t want to do this match in the football stadium, or were told flat out no, then that’s what it should have been. Leave the ring explosions to seedy Japanese feds.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Sure sure. I think AEW has been given a lot of goodwill, and for the most part they've done well with it. But for me it just gets gangly and unfocused. But if everyone is loving you it's easy to not feel like you need to re-calibrate. But this moment is pretty undeniable and maybe forces them to start using some of those old heads they brought in to point out the holes. 

I think in terms of tightening up, they have a roster that's too big now and not enough TV time to support. And they are totally waffling on the second TNT/Warner TV show.

And now they've just signed Christian and Big Show, which is like mid-1990s WCW bringing Honkytonk Man and Greg The Hammer Valentine.

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It... didn't impress. Especially Omega.

I’m sorry that them cutting themselves for your $50 buy didn’t meet your Muta/Eddie scale expectations, I guess? I don’t even know what to say to that.

• Like 2

Setting the special effects aside for the moment:

The last five matches on this show (and maybe some earlier ones that I missed) all had some kind of outside interference. Penelope Ford ref distraction in the Best Friends/Miro and Kip match, Private Party interference in the Hangman/Hardy match, Jake in the ladder match, Hobbs and Hook in the street fight, and the Good Brothers in the main event.

Who likes this? Aside from bookers looking for shortcuts, who wants this stuff in wrestling? Does it really "get heat"?

It's just as prevalent as ever--maybe more so, now that New Japan is doing it so much--but I can't imagine seeing another ref distraction or heel run-in and having any reaction but "yep, I get it, whatever".

Edited by MapRef41N93W
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Khan is kayfabing this in a way, saying it’s Omega’s fault because he can’t building an exploding ring and drew the plans in crayon.

But then says unless the fans wanted them to literally blow up Omega & Mox, “there’s only so much we can do”. Well, you did under the bare minimum. And I’m a huge AEW fanboy. Fucking hell.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, Casey said:

I’m sorry that them cutting themselves for your $50 buy didn’t meet your Muta/Eddie scale expectations, I guess? I don’t even know what to say to that.

You asked. Are the blood freaks not entitled to have standards?

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

Setting the special effects aside for the moment:

The last five matches on this show (and maybe some earlier ones that I missed) all had some kind of outside interference. Penelope Ford ref distraction in the Best Friends/Miro and Kip match, Private Party interference in the Hangman/Hardy match, Jake in the ladder match, Hobbs and Hook in the street fight, and the Good Brothers in the main event.

Who likes this? Aside from bookers looking for shortcuts, who wants this stuff in wrestling? Does it really "get heat"?

It's just as prevalent as ever--maybe more so, now that New Japan is doing it so much--but I can't imagine seeing another ref distraction or heel run-in and having any reaction but "yep, I get it, whatever".

The pre show match had shenanigans, opening tag match had shenanigans although they didn’t lead to the finish. 

Since all the negativity is coming out I’ll just add that the street fight was entertaining, but I don’t need two years of these sting matches. I’d rather just see the other guys have a real match. 

That said the show was good, but nothing really memorable except the ending unfortunately. Hope Maki is here longer than just Wednesday. That was a genuine nice surprise. 

• Like 1

Just now, John from Cincinnati said:

You asked. Are the blood freaks bot entitled to have standards?

300 light tube deathmatch at the next PPV. It’s the only logical conclusion after sparkler-gate. The freaks require a blood sacrifice ?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

In hindsight if they knew it was going to be this bad... do it cinematic style on a freighter in international waters, as it’s “too dangerous to host the match in the US.” I’d rather they go so far over the top then just... whatever that ending was. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1