DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-Evolution II - 3/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Thing is, they can make a ring collapse when Show suplexes Lesnar from the top rope, couldn't they have done some mediocre pyro, hidden a speaker to play a big BOOM and dropped the ring? That might've looked a little better. 

• Like 1

I felt the women’s match was great, the Battle Royale and cinematic match both exceeded expectations, and the tag title match was good.

The ladder match just dragged and dragged, I was with JR getting exasperated that one man would get a turn, then he would go down and the next man would get a turn, rinse and repeat. 

As for the main, the match itself was enthralling and they did a fine job putting on a spectacle. I really couldn’t help having an embarrassed laugh at the end though, especially after Callis hyping and hyping. Oh well, hopefully lessons learned.

Happy to see Maki Itoh and Cage, not so fussed about Page, yet another talented guy in a crowd of talent. 

Last thought: let’s have a showcase battle of the undersized hosses as a main in Dynamite, Coach Tony. Bring on PAC and Silver!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Swift said:

The announcers were trying to sell that the explosion generated some intense heat so they may end up going with a combination of those explanations.

Listen, I'm not trying to justify what happened as being what was supposed to happen. All I'm saying is there are ways out of this. You just have to be super "on point" for the next week or so. Everyone in that company has to have their story straight. Treat it like someone was found murdered in Kenny's backseat. "This is what happened, this is what we're saying. Do not deviate from this."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Oh yeah, that was easily my favorite Omega/Moxley match. More violent and less meandering than the lights out match. Really fucking good stuff.

Just... Fuck that explosion ruined everything

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

Oh yeah, that was easily my favorite Omega/Moxley match. More violent and less meandering than the lights out match. Really fucking good stuff.

Just... Fuck that explosion ruined everything

Me too. That explosion was one of the worst endings to a wrestling show I've ever seen. Feel bad for Kenny Omega, Jon Moxley and Eddie Kingston.

Terrible explosion aside, I was entertained from start to near-finish. Definitely not the best AEW pay per view but I think it delivered on what was to be expected. A nice show to watch but it's not like you missed anything worthwhile if you hadn't watched it - aside from the main event. Though, now it will probably be remembered for a long time just for that ending. 

• Like 3

They made the mistake of doing the match inside Daly's place. They had a big stadium right next door that they could have upped the pyro budget with it, but they didn't. So we got a whimper at the end of an otherwise fun match.

Overall I enjoyed most of the show. I thought the only match that dragged was the tag battle royal

If Tony was booking this via EWR, it looked good on paper but there were several missteps leading to low ratings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

This may be good for them long term though. From what I could tell the whole ship needs tightening up. 

Tightening up the ship can be a good thing...if the people steering it are aware of it and take the necessary steps to do so.

• Like 4

You have to feel sad for Kingston.  That was his big moment and probably beginning of a face turn that would have been great.  Now the only way this sees the light of day again is if it has so much CGI that a fucking Transformer does a run in.  Any way you play it he looks like an idiot

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

The blood thirsty freaks should be happy that Omega and Mox bladed, though, right???

I thought Kenny bladed after they first went to the outside, where Moxley hit the barbed wire board with the pyro gimmick a few feet away from it.

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Tightening up the ship can be a good thing...if the people steering it are aware of it and take the necessary steps to do so.

Sure sure. I think AEW has been given a lot of goodwill, and for the most part they've done well with it. But for me it just gets gangly and unfocused. But if everyone is loving you it's easy to not feel like you need to re-calibrate. But this moment is pretty undeniable and maybe forces them to start using some of those old heads they brought in to point out the holes. 

• Like 3

Just now, hammerva said:

I will say the Meltzer and Alvarez propaganda on this is going to be funny as hell

Dave has been saying for weeks that if the explosion is a flop the match will be remembered as a flop no matter how good it is. So I think you'll probably hear him say the match was great, he didn't like it at all, and the explosion ruined it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

They made the mistake of doing the match inside Daly's place. They had a big stadium right next door that they could have upped the pyro budget with it, but they didn't. So we got a whimper at the end of an otherwise fun match.

Overall I enjoyed most of the show. I thought the only match that dragged was the tag battle royal

If Tony was booking this via EWR, it looked good on paper but there were several missteps leading to low ratings.

This... US laws were never going to allow them to use Onita level pyro with a crowd. So either don’t do this type or match or do it in an empty football stadium “cinematic” style and have a damn mini nuclear bomb go off at the end... that ending was KOTDM 1995 level bad.

Edited by keith_h
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, keith_h said:

This... US fire laws were never going to allow them to use Onita level pyro with a crowd. So either don’t do this type or match or do it in an empty football stadium “cinematic” style and have a damn mini nuclear bomb go off at the end... that ending was KOTDM 1995 level bad.

Then they shouldn't have made it an EXPLODING Death Match and marketed around that novelty.