DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-Evolution II - 3/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

So either this match is going longer than 30 minutes on what’s likely gonna be a 4 hour show and their last death match already suffered from being too long, or there’s not gonna be a time bomb explosion. Damn, kind of a lose/lose here to me. I feel like the trauma involved with deathmatches necessitates shorter matches, and this kinda guarantees the nearfalls won’t be believable until 30 minutes in. I’m far from an Omega hater, but his first match with Moxley and the hardcore slog with Janela from the first Dark kind of temper my expectations here.

I can only think of one deathmatch that went longer than 30 minutes I enjoyed and that was Takeda/Isami vs. Miyamoto/Sasaki from 2009. Rewatched that recently and it actually could have used some trimming down too. Kasai/Ito was also a 30 minute near-draw  (even though it was a shoot 27 minutes) but they also had to fill some time.

Edited by A.M.B.

Maybe they do a Go/Fujita and just stare at each other for a bit? I wish they just did the timer gimmick where you push da button and it starts a countdown. I bitched about their first match going too long but I have faith they can make this work. I'm guessing they use the one side that isn't barbed wire to go for a walk'n'brawl for a bit and maybe do a bump off the apron into hell? I'm excited for it but yeah, 30 minutes is scary. 

• Like 3

Wow, I forgot the Tag Title match in my card order. Well shit, like I said in the other thread I don't care about anything the Bucks do so at least I'm consistent. 

This main event is going to be awful. It was already going to be bad given the hardcore limitations and Moxley always having the same brawl-y match but now I'm actively dreading it. Do we need thirty minutes plus for something that has a foregone conclusion as it is? Lord do I wish this promotion would stop doing dumb stuff but including entrances and postmatch revelry that main event is going to push a full hour.

I'm the opposite: this is the first AEW PPV I have been motivated to watch and it is 95% because of the Exploding Barbed Wire Triple Hell Deathmatch. There is a lot of wrestling that can be a foregone conclusion, but it's what they do along the way and how they get there that makes it exiting. I wanna see some long-ass entrances and selling of the BW gimmick and juice and maybe even thee "destroying your opponent so he can't escape the explosion but then running back to cover his prone body with yours bushidowarriorspiritrespect" finish and the bloody gladiators emerging from the smoke into the ambulances with lots of hugging and maybe crying and screaming into the mic with concerned co-workers and friends at ringside.

show me what you got, lads,

RAF

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well based on the last hour of Twitter the leader in the mystery person is Angle.  Kurt in a ladder match is a horrifying thought

I mean he could fly in tonight but he lives literally less than 2 miles from me and was at the gym this morning. He's always at the gym though so I wouldn't read too much into it.   

It would be one thing if Renee wasn't pregnant but adding that and this being an exploding death match it does make the outcome rather obvious. I could see the big surprise coming out after this match to be Kenny's next big challenger.   End the PPV with the shocking cliffhanger and get more eyes on Wednesday's show. 

Eddie doing Onita jumping on top of Funk to save him from the bomb would be fucking awesome. Kenny will probably do it himself it that's an idea though. Not that it works for his heel character but maybe from a gained respect thing. 

With the triple hell it's clear they are doing an arena tour. I'm guessing there's gonna be a lot of time expended selling these explosions. 

Just imagine if they do the same tease thing that they did with Miro's debut, where they bring out a couple of fake legends first. 

• Haha 1

it'd be weird if he won a match involving Cody, Penta, and Archer, but if the ladder match person is Ethan Page, it might be worth noting that the series of matches he had against Darby in Evolve a few years back was pretty damn great

Kane has donated all his paydays from wwe appearances as mayor. I don’t see him signing a contract. Think it’s gonna be angle/foley/Christian. I think cm punk would pay for itself easily but I’m not getting my hopes up. Cormier is doing commentary for ufc tonight, it’s not him but that was fun to think about. 

4 hours ago, matt925 said:

Kane has donated all his paydays from wwe appearances as mayor. I don’t see him signing a contract. Think it’s gonna be angle/foley/Christian. I think cm punk would pay for itself easily but I’m not getting my hopes up. Cormier is doing commentary for ufc tonight, it’s not him but that was fun to think about. 

Agree on the first three, but I figured Punk was the "not who we think." Foley could be fun as a manager, but if it's him, they have to keep him the hell away from taking bumps and any kind of authority figure role.