DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/17/2021

Dolfan in NYC

We know Moxley's history with barbed wire but to have KENNY OMEGA in one and that's it's an exploding barbed wire death match? Still surreal. Feels like Ric Flair using and getting hit by barbed wire, taking thumbtacks bumps vs. Big Show on WWE ECW in 2006 and vs. Mick Foley at SummerSlam 2006.

Seems like an Iron Man Match would be the best way to deal with Moxley since hardcore and death matches are his whole bag. He'd probably enjoy getting exploded and barbed. A 60 minute Iron Man match would actually force him to mat wrestle and take him out of his apparent comfort zone. And then surprise surprise, Moxley does know how to mat wrestle!

I mean props to Sting for taking a full powerbomb at 61, as scary as that was. But Sting is a novelty act at this point, and the novelty has worn off. They didn't need to sign Sting to a full-time deal to have him on TV to do not much of anything for three months. They could've had him as a special attraction and had him appear occasionally. Unless you officially want to make him Darby's manager or cornerman, but IMHO that doesn't work for a character like Darby since his whole thing is that he's this anti-social grungy loner who is dead inside.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Cage also references Wolverine a TON, and Logan had a fondness for cigars, no?

Ah right, thanks, wouldn’t have got that. I was wrong there then, that actually fits for him.

I still kinda feel Cage basically takes cool spots of better wrestlers without really taking away what makes those wrestlers good.

I’d kind of be more explicit about his whole GMSI thing and make it his weakness, he’s this machine who can wreck you but he has no strategy other than throwing bombs. You can also run an arc where Taz is coaching him to improve if you want to build up to a title shot or whatever.

Or even better you turn him into a complete video game wrestler and have Taz control him from ringside. Shouting out each move before he does it, which he does complete with character specific taunts from other guys, spamming taunts while his opponent is down to build up to a finisher, missing pin combos because Taz didn’t shout pin early enough during the move.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Ah right, thanks, wouldn’t have got that. I was wrong there then, that actually fits for him.

I still kinda feel Cage basically takes cool spots of better wrestlers without really taking away what makes those wrestlers good.

I’d kind of be more explicit about his whole GMSI thing and make it his weakness, he’s this machine who can wreck you but he has no strategy other than throwing bombs. You can also run an arc where Taz is coaching him to improve if you want to build up to a title shot or whatever.

Or even better you turn him into a complete video game wrestler and have Taz control him from ringside. Shouting out each move before he does it, which he does complete with character specific taunts from other guys, spamming taunts while his opponent is down to build up to a finisher, missing pin combos because Taz didn’t shout pin early enough during the move.

I can totally see Cage as Zangief to Taz's M Bison.

Edited by Wyld Samurai
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

My man needs to lay off the sauce. 

When I read your post, I was thinking he's not necessarily stupid, just drunk or hungover, but you came to the same conclusion by the end of the post. So, yeah, at least take a few months off and see if you make any better decisions during that time? If so, then great. If he still find himself doing Sting-level gullable BS, then it may actually be stupidity and then he might as well fall back off the wagon to drown his sorrows upon the removal of all doubt on the stupid-issue.

15 hours ago, Jiji said:

It has been strange. I get why they wanted to do it but hopefully they back off the celebrity matches for a while after this unless the person is fully committed and contractually obligated because it was Tyson bailing (understandably) and now this half-assed Shaq thing. 

I see him doing 3-4 spots and it's Jade from there on out. 

Re: Tyson.  That not happening barely registered, I didn’t really care, but I wonder why they didn’t straight up address what was happening with Iron Mike and his schedule.  Give an update and let Jericho bury him a little for future feud reference.

Re: Shaq.  Further to what’s already been mentioned, Cody has barely even addressed the match.  It should have at least led to some good promos.  I liked the Shaq/nba on tnt clip package, the Brandi-Shaq bit, and the pretty alright Red Velvet promo, but it’s a shame they didn’t do any further promos.  Shaq’s sense of humour would likely have led to some fun exchanges.

They would have been much better off having this a six person and had a worker on the Jade/Shaq side to take most of the match.  As is, this is mind bogglingly fascinating.  Starting to get excited for just how bad this could be.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

I still think teaming Shaq and Cody would have made more sense. They could always add Jade as a third if that is the end goal. That way you don’t split your audience for no real reason and could get some heels more exposure in the process.

• Like 3

I listed a few weeks ago all the missteps and straight up boneheaded twists and turns the Cody/Shaq "program" has taken.  Here is the unabridged, revised, updated version if you're keeping score!

• Jade shows up and says Shaq wants Cody.  No history, no backstory, nobody knows who Jade is or why Shaq wants to fight Cody.  Brandi shows up with a code switching promo.
  • Jade jumps Brandi and Red Velvet saves.  This may have happened more than once?
  • Sitdown interview with Brandi and Shaq where Shaq spends more time building Jade vs Brandi than anything else for some reason, and I don't think he mentioned wanting to fight Cody at all.  Brandi is kind of an asshole to Shaq because Tony didn't give her as much props as Shaq.  She throws a conspicuous water on him and he makes a Mr. Ferley face.
  • Brandi is pregnant and now cannot wrestle.
  • Jade goes after Cody in the Waiting Room and demands...something?  An opponent for herself?  An answer to the Shaq challenge that really kinda didn't happen?
  • Somewhere in here, somebody realizes this match, clearly set for a PPV, can't take place on the weekend of the PPV because Shaq has broadcasting commitments for the NBA All Star Game.
  • Shaq does a cringeworthy, embarrassing promo on NBA on TNT.  Seriously, don't ever keep kayfabe in real life.  This would be like Giancarlo Esposito being interviewed on Jimmy Fallon or something, and stopping in the middle of the interview to cut a promo on Walter White.  Fucking embarrassing.
  • AEW airs a Jade training video.  No wrestling is shown.  Just Jade lifting weights, HANGIN' & BANGIN' like it's 1988 WWF and "this person is big and strong so they must be a good wrestler" is still a thing.  Nathan Jones says hi.
  • AEW airs another Jade training video.  This time, she's shooting baskets while Shaq watches.  Shaq joins in for one or two shots.  Because nothing promotes to wrestling fans that two people have never wrestled can actually wrestle like showing them playing basketball.

This thing has been so utterly aimless and dumb that it's amazingly fitting they screwed up the scheduling for what was clearly a PPV bout and it's going to air on free TV.  This shit has been bonkers, a meandering, confounding embarrassment from the start.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

AEW airs a Jade training video.  No wrestling is shown.  Just Jade lifting weights, HANGIN' & BANGIN' like it's 1988 WWF and "this person is big and strong so they must be a good wrestler" is still a thing.  Nathan Jones says hi.

AEW airs another Jade training video.  This time, she's shooting baskets while Shaq watches.  Shaq joins in for one or two shots.  Because nothing promotes to wrestling fans that two people have never wrestled can actually wrestle like showing them playing basketball.

To be fair, outside pro wrestling, they show folks do random feats of athleticism. Hell inside pro wrestling, wasn't Perfect's whole gimmick he is this all around athlete making no look baskets? And also, I spent like two or three years in the late 90s/early 2000s watching Roy Jones Jr.'s obsession with being a basketball player to the point where I'm watching him play on a semi-pro basketball league somewhere in Pensacola. No sparring or boxing training. Just him playing basketball. Shit, matter of fact, I watched Manny Pacquiao (all 5'5 1/4" and 140+ pounds of him) try to make some basketball league in the Philippines for like a year all while running for Senator. To me, that's the least offensive thing from a logic standpoint because it's like, "hey, we're real athletes and you're not." 

I think the pregnancy threw them for a loop, and the NBA putting together an ASG at the very last minute also didn't help. Even if shit made sense, it would fall apart. So basically, they going use this as an excuse to have Shaq there while they can. WCW had random celebrity cameos they made absolutely zero sense way more cringeworthy over the span of 10 years. So this doesn't bother me at all.

• Like 2

I get you.  And if it was some other kind of training footage, cool.  But damn, show me something.  Intersperse the heavy weightlifting with some sprints.  Flip a tire.  Damn, give me something to work with.   Otherwise, we've got Ted Arcidi.   And watching Jade look bored sinking free throws while Shaq sternly nods does nothing for me.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I get you.  And if it was some other kind of training footage, cool.  But damn, show me something.  Intersperse the heavy weightlifting with some sprints.  Flip a tire.  Damn, give me something to work with.   Otherwise, we've got Ted Arcidi.   And watching Jade look bored sinking free throws while Shaq sternly nods does nothing for me.

We'll see how she looks on the 3rd, but IMO, I think Jade is trying. The material isn't the strongest. However, even if Shaq was trying, I feel like they weaving in too much outside this one storyline for it to mean anything. If you're not there every week or most weeks (although you can argue celebs shouldn't do that cause they won't mean as much for ratings), this is going to be the 5th or 6th most meaningful storyline/program they have right now. Ideally, you would have Jade whoop some woman's ass like every week until she gets this match with Cody and Red Velvet. You have this giant, beautiful black Amazon built chick and she's just kinda doing stuff and making random statements/appearances every so often. Why not replace Shaq with some great worker so Cody and that person can have a great singles match disguised as a mixed tag and have Shaq as like the big bad outside? After the match, Shaq does his one spot and takes a glorified pratfall. You get on ESPN, AEW gets their one nice rating, and everyone goes home happy. I think that's what this should have been from the beginning. 

I feel like this could work even with lazy Shaq but whoever is putting this together (whether it's Cody, the Bucks, or TK since he likely has final say) is being too clever by half. 

• Like 3

The Shaq/Cody/Jade work has been a total utter flop. Shaq's latest segments w/ Jade on Youtube are trending AEW Dark-segment levels w/ top comments dominated by negativity. Shame, as Shaq is a bonafide superstar. Hopefully they learn from this.

Edited by A_K

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I listed a few weeks ago all the missteps and straight up boneheaded twists and turns the Cody/Shaq "program" has taken.  Here is the unabridged, revised, updated version if you're keeping score!

This thing has been so utterly aimless and dumb that it's amazingly fitting they screwed up the scheduling for what was clearly a PPV bout and it's going to air on free TV.  This shit has been bonkers, a meandering, confounding embarrassment from the start.

The best part, for me, is as I was watching this week and had missed a few Dynamites over the last little while, I thought "I must have missed a little bit of the storyline build-up to this match" then reading this list...No, I saw them all. Every segment.

I think my favourite part of the entire feud was the NBA on TNT when Shaq challenged Cody on the NBA on TNT set, and the other guys started kind of laughing, then Shaq said his move was the Black Tornado and they were flat-out laughing then he smacked the plexiglass a couple times and they pretended to get angry and Shaq starts smiling then makes an angry face.

Oh man, the extended clip is even better as Barkley says "That ain't no tornado, more like the wind blowing!" and Shaq pretends like he's going to fight Barkley but smiles the whole time as Barkley waves him away saying "Covid rules!" (as in, 'get away from me, social distancing," not like he's cheering for the thing!)

I don't think this will get to the levels of Robocop/Chucky in WCW, but it could be along the lines of Jeremy Piven and Summerfest. I can't wait.

Edited by caley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, eikerir said:

Butcher just looks like Ray from Bloodsport to me:

d9cebd29b229794613cb9bf8f9070351.jpg

I swear, he's Mr. Pearson from RDR2

2oxsaz.jpg

I forgot to mention: "Shaq insults Cody, calls him a girl.  In 2021.  Because the only thing dumber than misogynistic insults is misogynistic insults while you're teaming with a woman."

• Haha 4

I at least have hiigh hopes for Jade. Maybe not for this match but long term she can be good. And considering......well..... everything else about her I sure as hell hope so. 

As for Shaq I'm just asking for a decent enough move or two so he doesn't embarrass himself. Anything else is icing on the cake. 

• Like 1

Moxley is facing Omega in a title rematch inside a EXPLODING BARB WIRE CAGE MATCH ?

God damn with my power out all week this is one hell of a week to miss Dynamite ?

Well powers back, water is still off, and hopefully tomorrow i can catch the replay at my cousins place ?

I can't believe JR called Kenny the WWE champion ? hahahahaha but then he'd always get confused with the Chris's during Benoit/Jericho matches so I think maybe I'll chalk it up to heat of the moment. Although he's been at aew for a year plus ??? so maybe not?

Edited by Hayabusa
  • Like 2

In the observer Dave says shaq has been training with qt Marshall. 

@Technico Supportsums it all up nicely. This has to be the worst angle in aew history aside from maybe the original dark order story ending with them laying out all the stars at the end of the first year. I just can’t get over how bad and contrived the initial segment was, and it’s only gone downhill from there. I just hope it’s short and no one gets hurt lol. Also, I know they are doing this with the hope of getting on sports center, etc, I just hope they don’t end up with a clip on the Not Top 10 with a comment about being a wwe knockoff, because that is all I’m envisioning here. 

• Like 1