DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/17/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'll say Sting. I was surprised and a little scared watching him take a bump.

Maybe it was his way of testing out what he could take for the PPV match. Cuz if he is okay after that, I have little worries about him moving forward. Throw him in there with Fenix every Wednesday.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Maybe it was his way of testing out what he could take for the PPV match. Cuz if he is okay after that, I have little worries about him moving forward. Throw him in there with Fenix every Wednesday.

Fenix would be too busy hurting himself to break anything on the Stinger.

5 minutes ago, DEAN said:

So Serena Deeb is the best wrestler in AEW.

She's really good. Riho, Deeb, Rosa, Shida, Nyla, Britt... That's something you can build around (and feature more than once a week without exposing talent)! 

• Like 3

I'm so getting fucked up for Revolution.

EXPLODING BARBED WIRE DEATH MATCH! YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

This is so tapping into 16 or 17 year old me seeing an exploding barbed wire death match for the first time and having my mind blown forever. I can't fucking wait.

Rest of the show was the shit. I fucking love this company.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

This is so tapping into 16 or 17 year old me seeing an exploding barbed wire death match for the first time and having my mind blown forever. I can't fucking wait.

Yeah, pretty much. Sting in a street fight? Ladder match? EXPLODING BARBED WIRE DEATH MATCH? Tully Blanchard fucking up a runt, throwing up gang signs in 2021? CHECK, CHECK, CHECK, CHECK. I am manic right now. I can't wait to fall back into the normal covid low.

• Like 5

JR had some old man moments tonight even for him. Talking about Moxley wanting that friendship back with Kingston just as he drops him on his dome. lol, okay jim. I gotta give it to him though. His feud with Chuck Taylor may be my favourite of the year when it's all said and done.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Ok, I need to not set the bar so high. So the low bar for this is, what, a TNA variant of this? This at least has to be better than that.

@Craig H. Sabu vs. Abyss in the first Barbed Wire Massacre at Turning Point 2005 and Barbed Wire Massacre III: LAX vs. oVe on Impact TV, 18th January 2018. Those had no ropes barbed wire with barbed wire weaponry. No exploding barbed wire.

Edited by The Natural

Serena vs. Riho was absolutely awesome! I had high hopes and expectations and this went beyond that. Great great stuff. Love having Riho back and Serena's an all time favorite, perfect mix. One of my favorite matches of the year so far, fantastic.

Sting taking that bump was killer, considering he was thought to be near 'do not touch' levels since his last injury. Looked brutal. Reminded me of Hogan taking bumps in his last TNA match. Bucks vs. Ortiz/Santana was great. Glad to see Ortiz/Santana get some shine. Really enjoyed the Sydal Bros against FTR as well. Hyped for Tully to compete in the ring. I laughed at "Let's take a look at Jade and Shaq's training" and it's just them shooting hoops. Big Money Matt/Hangman angle was fun even though I kinda dug them as a team. Main event was another blast of a trios tag, Archer continues to be on fire, Moxley looked great. Then of course the bombshell ending, love it. Revolution is stacked, next few weeks looking good. So much good stuff.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Jiji said:

OH YEAH! Where the fuck is Powerhouse Hobbs?! Conspicuous by his absence. Starks too tonight, but he's booked for next week.

I think the weather situation kept some talent from appearing. Taz mentioned it in his promo and it was mentioned again explaining why Tully wasn't there.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, cue Dave Meltzer saying this type of match is going to kill their audience in 3...2...1...

Surely he can’t be that much of a dingdong. Anything that energizes their core audience this much is worth being bullish about. 

To paraphrase Roger Sterling, the excitement for this show just went from convalescent home to Roman orgy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

@Craig H. Sabu vs. Abyss in the first Barbed Wire Massacre at Turning Point 2005 and Barbed Wire Massacre III: LAX vs. oVe on Impact TV, 18th January 2018. Those had no ropes barbed wire with barbed wire weaponry. No exploding barbed wire.

God, Sabu/Abyss was just incredible. Sabu doing air Sabu over the barbed wire blew my mind the first time I saw it. Abyss is a legend. And that one time Sabu and Terry tied themselves into knots in barbed wire (and Sabu had to tape his arm up so he didn't die, not bothering selling because I guess being alive > working). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Surely he can’t be that much of a dingdong. Anything that energizes their core audience this much is worth being bullish about. 

To paraphrase Roger Sterling, the excitement for this show just went from convalescent home to Roman orgy. 

Bookmarking this for later because these types of matches always trigger and mystify Dave. It's also like the most anti-NJPW style match they could have. So yeah, I really do think he may be that much of a ding dong.

• Like 1

Deeb/Riho felt like a direct response to Emi/VENY. I keep saying this - Riho works the best nearfall segments in the business. Every time out. It is such a rare and particular talent.

Dave might as well be one of those people that threw trash at Onita before the Choshu match. Mark-ass mark.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1