DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/10/2021

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, A_K said:

Really, really do not want to see a QT Marshall turn. Please. Just don't do that. There are some excellent roster members still starved for TV time. The last thing they need to do is devote any primetime minutes to that guy.

Would also probably agree w/ the remark that Darby is fundamentally too small to be paired with Sting. Bit of an odd pair up. Other than the Brodie/Cody squash which was really effective, the TNT Title as a whole feels like an unrealised endeavour so far. The title is 10 months old and has how many defining moments associated with it? They need to start figuring out where the title program goes next.

Separately I really do think a Cruiserweight/X Division style title would be a great add to the show to move a lot of the smaller + super young guys forward in programs together in a way that doesn't diminish the impact of them being paired with the older roster members (who typically seem to be the larger workers too) in the future.

How old is everyone on the roster?

An "Under 25s" or "Under 30s" title could be interesting and help promote matches between guys who are starting out.

Lots of angles to play out too -

A super young heel planning on holding it until his XX Birthday...

A plucky face who can't ever win and is running out of time...

An older face champ who is counting down the days he has left with the title...

A foreign heel with a shady birth certificate...

• Like 1

Realizing that they had Page switching the contract, Callis dropping Omega's golf ball in the hole, and QT Marshall getting mad about Lee Johnson not name-dropping him... and I noticed none of those things in real time. I flip over to Twitter too much, especially during non-match segments.

I guess the upside is that one of those things doesn't really matter, and even without social media I would have been clued in on the other two eventually.

4 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Realizing that they had Page switching the contract, Callis dropping Omega's golf ball in the hole, and QT Marshall getting mad about Lee Johnson not name-dropping him... and I noticed none of those things in real time. I flip over to Twitter too much, especially during non-match segments.

I guess the upside is that one of those things doesn't really matter, and even without social media I would have been clued in on the other two eventually.

I saw the last two in real time which was cool but the missed the first one.  Seeing Adam's tweet about made me go "Oh, you drunk yet sly sonofabitch"  Interested to see where they go with it but maybe it's a sign that he's starting to get his shit together.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

How old is everyone on the roster?

An "Under 25s" or "Under 30s" title could be interesting and help promote matches between guys who are starting out.

Lots of angles to play out too -

A super young heel planning on holding it until his XX Birthday...

A plucky face who can't ever win and is running out of time...

An older face champ who is counting down the days he has left with the title...

A foreign heel with a shady birth certificate...

That's such a good idea. 

Veteran heel requests a one off shot at the title, denied, so he creates the 45 and Over title and wrestles Ricky Morton on an endless loop waiting for the other title holder to turn 45 and fight him like a man.

• Haha 2

The impeachment stuff was going on so the news shot up and slighty tanked the ratings.

Doubt NXT will move, NXT's job is to make sure AEW gets under 1 million, brilliant tbh.

Edited by D.Z

36 minutes ago, D.Z said:

The impeachment stuff was going on so the news shot up and slighty tanked the ratings.

Doubt NXT will move, NXT's job to make sure AEW gets under 1 million, brilliant tbh.

That's not really brilliant if the show does reach 1 million consistently. Then what? Cause NXT is trending in a completely wrong direction. 

And oh, based on Levesque's comments on his Takeover conference call today, he sounds pretty damn agitated to explain why his pet project is getting it's ass kicked every week. So there is that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Why is he who he is, why do you care about his mission, why do I want to get behind him?

Do you need them to play a promo every time he wrestles that explains his character that they've already done a bunch? Drunk driving uncle died in a car crash while he was a passenger, a part of him died that day. That's why he wears the paint and takes the risks. Pretty simple. I don't think you need that reiterated every time his music hits. I prefer AEW letting shit breathe vs Michael Cole screaming VINTAGE ORTON. THE VIPER. THE APEX PREDATOR. THE LEGEND KILLER every 30 second during WWE commentary.

I don't want him to be booked as dominant for the same reasons you list, but they certainly need to do more to present him better as someone who possesses a unique threat and isn't just another guy. In hindsight, you could swap the booking of Jungle Boy and Darby in recent weeks and it would work perfectly. 

Jungle Boy not only emotes better when he's getting beat down but its less of a mini HIAC psychology with his heel beat downs. You don't get emotionally involved with Darby taking a beating from Team Taz because you know every time it's going to end with a vicious high spot. I tune out from him taking a stomping because you know where it's leading eventually. They're just building up to that.

Hard disagree. In what ways is he presented as just another guy? His record is better than most. He has a title. He's partnered with a megastar. The commentary consistently puts him over as one of AEW's top stars. Even his theme is unique and gets a reaction immediately (when they have crowds).

I see lots in Jungleboy too, but there's no way you can get me to agree that he's presented as a bigger deal than Darby. He's gotten a few shining moments, but his booking is far more "just another guy" than Darby. In year 1 he went to the 10 minute draw with Jericho. Last week he got a solid defining win by tapout over a tag guy. And there's a whole lot of just a guy in between. And there's nothing wrong with heating guys up and cooling them off and rotating them in. But to suggest one of the top 3 most pushed guys (outside of The Elite) is treated like just another guy is a no from me dawg. Maybe you just prefer the WWE style of over doing the emphasis? If so that's okay, everyone has their preferences. But if we polled the people posting in this thread, don't think there's gonna be a lot of agreement that Jungleboy is presented as a bigger star than Darby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The pairing of Darby and Sting is odd because they aren't really similar as wrestlers outside of the facepaint. I suppose they're both mysterious but Sting is out here WOOing and fist bumping Schiavone, he isn't really the brooding Sting from 1997 that matches Allin's energy. So their relationship is more along the lines of, 'Hey, man. I've been there, you're in a bad place, you're going through a divorce, you're sitting in the rafters a lot. Hang in there, hoodlum. It'll get better. Eventually you can get cheated out of a proper blow off to your feud with, I assume, Cody.'

• Like 1

That's such a good idea. 

Veteran heel requests a one off shot at the title, denied, so he creates the 45 and Over title and wrestles Ricky Morton on an endless loop waiting for the other title holder to turn 45 and fight him like a man.

Jericho could get plenty of mileage out of an "Over 50's" title for sure.

He could take a shot at TNA for the 'legends' title and also WWE for having the same 400 guys on their roster for the last two decades...

I TOTALLY missed the Page contract switcheroo - that's fucking GREAT!

Agreed on Sting and Darby being a weird pairing and hopefully they find a new role for Sting soon enough. Darby should perpetually be a loner with only casual associations with other talent, out of respect (like Mox, for example). Sting could... mentor a group of young up and comers? Maybe Arn finally turns - settle down, Shadownetico - and he comes in as the veteran presence of the Nightmare Family? 

21 hours ago, AxB said:

Arn Anderson's son, who is presumably in his early-to-mid 20s, looks 40 already. Those are some powerful genes.

Arn looked 40 for 40 years, from age 20 all the way up to 60.

Self-quoting because I mentioned The Anderson family and powerful Genes, and nobody brought up Gene Anderson.

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Do you need them to play a promo every time he wrestles that explains his character that they've already done a bunch? Drunk driving uncle died in a car crash while he was a passenger, a part of him died that day. That's why he wears the paint and takes the risks. Pretty simple. I don't think you need that reiterated every time his music hits. I prefer AEW letting shit breathe vs Michael Cole screaming VINTAGE ORTON. THE VIPER. THE APEX PREDATOR. THE LEGEND KILLER every 30 second during WWE commentary.

Do you understand how false equivalences work? Me disagreeing with something does not automatically mean that I like or advocate for other things that you don't like. I'm not really sure what Randy Orton or Michael Cole have to do with this. At. All. I'm not even sure how you've got "Jungle Boy is pushed more than Darby" from what I said either. I said that the segments that they've produced for both guys were better suited to the opposite guy's skillsets. 

Also - I haven't missed an episode of Dynamite yet, and while not being familiar with Darby pre AEW, or watch Dark/BTE regularly - that is the first time I've heard that story. I'm the non-hardcore viewer. I suspect others weren't aware of it. 

They do play promos every time he wrestles. They don't really cut through. They do a good job of establishing he's someone of note to casual viewers like me, and he's a presented/featured guy. That's about it. Yes - I would like them to focus more on fleshing out his character - I think they're at a point where they can safely invest the time into him.

• Like 2

Don't you sleep on QT. He even learned how to do a Phoenix Splash for his upcoming push to glory! Seriously, he tweeted it.

I'd like to see a Sprint Championship with a hard timelimit. Maybe 8 minutes. Title can change by count-out and the count-out only goes to five, so that a suicide dive could be the end of a match. Something like that. I'm not sure about the rules alltogether, but fast paced sprints are awesome and could be a nice difference to the other title matches going the distance.

Edited by MrKothoga
  • Like 2

No more belts!! Besides the four proper AEW titles, you have the seemingly pointless FTW title, and with the door fully open you now have the NWA women's title, the IWGP US title, and the Impact tag titles appearing pretty regularly.

If it's a must, the best way to introduce a new title I think would be an underdog babyface (if they hadn't already made him TNT Champion, Darby would be literally perfect for this) challenges Brian Cage to finally defend the FTW title, gets the upset win, and announces the next week during the customary Schiovane interview that Khan and the EVPs have decided to officially sanction it as the AEW World blah blah blah Championship.

Edit: thinking about it for a few minutes, maybe they run this with Darby some time after the tag match and they just unify the FTW and TNT titles

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2