DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/10/2021

Dolfan in NYC

The main event has the most potential for a great match, but I think Hirsch/Rosa should be good. Hirsch has looked good on Dark lately, and really Rosa has only had one bad match this whole time. 

I wonder what Janela/Darby's gonna be like as a straight singles match. If this were a PPV deathmatch or something I'd probably have higher hopes (though I think I do like Janela more than most of you). I'm sure there will be no shortage of stupid bumps - hopefully Darby governs himself a bit with the PPV coming up

• Like 1

The Acclaimed vs MJF/Jericho would be an angle that some promotions can’t help but shoehorn in a turn by someone.  In a crueler world The Acclaimed would be on their way to the ever-so-lazy no angle/no-turn baby face run.  Thankfully there aren’t enough fans in attendance to laugh at the crappy dis-track that Max Caster does every week.  

I thought Darby/Janella was really good, best Joey's looked in a while. Code Red off the top was nice. Not sure what to do with Joey, he seems to have found his level as a guy who earned his stripes in death matches and now trades off that tough reputation to put better guys over. He's AEW's Tomoaki Honma, that's a fine job to have.

Lee Johnson has a lot going for him, after his match on Dark and this one I think he's shown a significant amount of growth from last year. And oh shit, a new Anderson? That turn IS coming.

PAC destroying Nick Nemeth was rad. Not sure if Nemeth has a future in AEW, I've heard he's a really good heel but I thought his promo on the Road To had more of a earnest Tim Storm feel. Not that they need another bland white dude still figuring things out on the roster but he seems nice.

MJF and Max Caster working the abdominal stretch reversal spot like it's '88 made me smile. I like the Acclaimed, they do have a New Age Outlaws feel but better because at least Caster switches it up each week. Sammy leaving the Inner Circle like that is intriguing enough to keep me interested another week. Kind of hope this all ends with Jericho getting kicked out of the group to go on tour with Fozzy, if only so I don't have to hear Judas again for a while.

Main event ruled and it's still surreal seeing reps from three promotions in one ring on TNT. Another fun night of wrestling and next week looks just as good. AEW's been on a solid roll for a while now and the inclusion of KENTA and the possibilities that implies are very exciting. The only thing that's not landing with me these days is the Sting/Taz feud and I think that's been a little too drawn out due to circumstances outside of their control.

• Like 2

Who's the largest person Kenny's had a one-on-one match against in AEW? Seeing him in there with Archer and recently with Moose made me realize it's probably been a while since he really had a go with a big fella. 

It took three people to get him up for the OWA. What kind of champion is that? Make the match!

• Like 1

Great show. Joey looked good. I could tell which Japanese talent's names Tony had to record in two parts - sounded like the old NFL Blitz announcer. Rosa's really nice to have around every week. Black Arrow -> Brutalizer is THE modern super-finisher and if anyone escapes I'll be insulted. I can't believe how accurate Jungle Boy's "Territorial Southern Babyface Who Can't Promo" promo was. Mid-South! Big-time main event, Suzuki-gun should step up for their boy in one promotion or another. Sammy was one of those things we've been waiting to happen - I hope we get one like that with Page in the next week or two.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

It’s wednesday night and you know what that means. I really appreciate AEW continues using tag catchphrase to honor Brodie Lee.

I still miss “wrestling has more than one royal family” and really don’t like that Snoop Dogg remix theme of Cody.

Dark Order behaving like overwhelmed teens in love (especially Silver) every time they meet Hangman is just fantastic. And while I really don’t wanna see Matt Hardy in the ring anymore, I think he’s fantastic as a money-hungry manager. Though I doubt it’s a good business strategy to acquire talent like that.

Yeah, really, what were Kip, Penelope and Miro thinking was gonna happen? Haven’t they watched any wrestling?

Thinks like Sammy saying he needs some time away from this place really makes me wonder how AEW will handle their various partnerships in a pandemic-free future. Would Sammy go on a tour with New Japan, go to Impact a few weeks (well, that would still be possible) or travel to Mexico a little?

Alex Marvez is everywhere!

Okay, now I’m two for five with Sting entering, Taz interrupting and cut to something else. This time I even got my original prediction of cut to commercial right. Yeah. And next week Sting will call out Team Taz. Wohoo! What a drag.

Ultimately, that was a really fun show (well produced as well, the difference between live and taped was obvious once again). The first three matches (Darby-Janela, Cody tag, Pac squash) were fine but nothing special, but I really enjoyed the second half of matches. The Acclaimed looked great against MJF and Jericho, I enjoyed Hirsch and Rosa a lot and the main event was a stupid-fun garbage brawl and made Archer look great in defeat.

• Like 4

Jon Moxley kicks ass. He potatoed a motherfucker with a potato. That's that good shit, pal.

I'm a Leyla Hirsch stan. Thunder Rosa is the female RIcky Starks, in that she's raised her profile immensely during the pandemic. 

I wouldn't mind a Lance Archer title run. Dude looks like a monster. 

Babyface Sammy will be dope. 

Edited by just drew
  • Like 5

Very fun show is very fun. I loved MJF's shtick when Sammy announced he was leaving and embellishing the ribs like he's '98 DDP. I didn't love how they got there with the silly "are you recording me?!" line with a camera recording the entire conversation. And the Matt Hardy shit, wow was that a good call to switch it up to Big Money Matt. Hangman is the most consistent storyteller in the company. 

Good call getting MJF/Jericho's title shot out of the way and establishing Bucks vs. Good Brothers for the ppv. 

Dahby vs Janela was good and the body bag drag was cool but Sting's reaction to team Taz killing his fellow hoodlum was a bit... Underwhelming in that he will CALL THEM OUT IN A WEEK (while Darby rots). The actual promo was cool. 

Main event was super fun and KENTA was wilding out for a guy working outside his home base with a lengthy injury history. 

• Like 1

Dam....that was beautiful.

I didn’t think Archer was going to take the pin because I think he gets the shot with Omega at Revolution but I guess maybe not. If not Archer than who?

What an overall fantastic show. The Forbidden Door is smashed wide open. KENTA’s music....NJPW United States Belt on display....this is big time professional wrestling.

• Like 2

Arn Anderson's son, who is presumably in his early-to-mid 20s, looks 40 already. Those are some powerful genes.

Arn looked 40 for 40 years, from age 20 all the way up to 60.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I think you could build a pretty compelling story/match around Kenny not being able to hit Archer with the OWA by himself.

Give Archer a 1 on 1 shot (maybe in a cage?) and Kenny doesn't have that homerun KO move to retain his title.

• Like 8

All about that main event! What an awesome brawl. Thought Archer looked like a total star throughout, love that. Kenny's intro continues to be amazing. Great finishing stretch, Jake getting involved and the tease of a v Trigger on Jake.. good stuff. Rosa/Leyla also really good, perfect start to the tournament. Looking forward very much to  Serena/Riho next week and the Japanese side of the bracket as well. Big Money Matt continues to be fun, loved him quietly speaking to the cameraman to explain why he was there. First half was mostly competitive squashes but second half picked things up nicely. I dig that Ryan Nemeth got to pick up a win on Dark that quick, solid first 2 showings on Dynamite for him.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 2

I liked the womens match. I liked the heel cheating rope abdominal stretch tatic Jericho and MJF did together.

Main event was good, the Kenta DDT on the metal whatever was cool and the dive to the table later.

• Like 3

Lee Johnson's dive was cool. Being attached to Cody is a death sentence though. I can't be digging a guy crediting his success to the Rhodes like that. 

The Acclaimed have so much potential and I'm absolutely into those two mixing in old school 80s spots to differentiate themselves. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

I didn't like it when JR said that "His father was a former NFLer for many years." His father IS a former NFL player. He WAS in the NFL for many years. Took me out of the show for a good 30 seconds, that did. Also, when he told Callis, stumblingly, "You might not like what you wish for."

And Tony really can't pronounce Japanese names. You have to give each syllable even weight. There is no syllabic stress in Japanese, brother! 

On the other hand, the whole announce team did a great job with the potato stuff. Got enough jokes in without beating the bit to death. So that balances things out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callis, Kenny and the Good Brothers just buried the rest of the Bullet Club on the post show. Midcarders who could move up because Kenny and Co left but you cant just replace Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

Oh, and AEW really has to stop adding wrestlers pretty much every week. Enough is enough. 

Edited by MrKothoga
  • Thanks 1