DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

Hey Natural, do you still read Empire magazine? Because there’s a Mask of the Phantasm article in the new issue. Came out yesterday.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2023 at 4:11 PM, AxB said:

Hey Natural, do you still read Empire magazine? Because there’s a Mask of the Phantasm article in the new issue. Came out yesterday.

I do and read it yesterday. Great tribute. Cheers for thinking of me xxx.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2023 at 12:36 PM, Matt D said:

that is a frightening read. i LOVE the Legend of Zelda (the game and series). the cartoon? not so much. it is terrible. basic plots, subpar action, terrible characterization for Link (Zelda being the real hero of the show is somewhat noteworthy). the "EXCUSE me, Princess!" line is memorable because it is horrible and repeated WAY too often. the fact that a couple of the writers wished the show had gone on (or was only cancelled because it wasn't it's own show. like what?) is ridiculous- the show has no redeeming qualities, nor any that set it apart from its contemporaries. As someone who loves 80s/90s cartoons and campiness, and thrives on nostalgia; SKIP THIS SHOW.

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2022 at 10:49 AM, The Natural said:

FkcH7abXgAgjENw?format=jpg&name=large

I made a Facebook post in the Keep 'The Spectacular Spider-Man' Alive! Facebook group saying how much I love The Spectacular Spider-Man (2008-2009) and when I think of Spider-Man, it's TSSM, Stan Lee/Steve Ditko on The Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018). Victor Cook, one of the key people behind the show liked my post. I couldn't believe it. Victor. Cook. This happened a few weeks ago but meant to tell you sooner.

I wake up to great and unexpected news today that The Spectacular Spider-Man will be in Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023). What an early Christmas present. The GOAT returns. Needed that after a day of hell yesterday.

On 12/21/2022 at 10:49 AM, The Natural said:

FkcH7abXgAgjENw?format=jpg&name=large

I made a Facebook post in the Keep 'The Spectacular Spider-Man' Alive! Facebook group saying how much I love The Spectacular Spider-Man (2008-2009) and when I think of Spider-Man, it's TSSM, Stan Lee/Steve Ditko on The Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018). Victor Cook, one of the key people behind the show liked my post. I couldn't believe it. Victor. Cook. This happened a few weeks ago but meant to tell you sooner.

I wake up to great and unexpected news today that The Spectacular Spider-Man will be in Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023). What an early Christmas present. The GOAT returns. Needed that after a day of hell yesterday.

Today The Spectacular Spider-Man turns 15. I love this show. One of the best Spider-Man things ever alongside Stan Lee/Steve Ditko run on The Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. TSSM is to Spider-Man as Batman is Batman: The Animated Series.

• 2 weeks later...

Rented Superman: Red Son last night. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I know I've read the comic once, probably right after it was written, but remembered absolutely nothing outside of the "What if Superman was Russian" thing.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Max/ HBO/ Fuck Them just dropped the first three episodes of the new season of Harley Quinn. The first one is fucking great. I love this show.

Fellow fan of the Harley Quinn show here!

• 5 weeks later...

WatchMojo's top ten voice actors in DC Animation:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6a8R81mzBg4

Mine:

10. John Glover as The Riddler.

9. Will Friedel as Batman of the Future.

8. George Newbern as Superman.

7. David Warner as Ra's al Ghul.

6. Michael Rosenbaum as The Flash.

5. Susan Eisenberg as Wonder Woman.

4. Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor.

3. Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quinn.

2. Mark Hamill as The Joker.

1. Kevin Conroy as Batman.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Scavengers Reign

Created and executive produced by Joseph Bennett and Charles Huettner.

Cast:  Wunmi Mosaku (Azi), Bob Stephenson (Sam), Sunita Mani (Ursula), Ted Travelstead (Kamen), Alia Shawkat (Levi)

Coming to Max on 19 October

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Caught the second Venture Bros. movie from earlier in the month. Really enjoyed it though it would have been more fun to see it done as a proper season as it probably was originally intended. Was nice to see them finally answer the big two questions on the boys' mother and how Doc and the Monarch are related. Its a decent finale for the series if they leave it at that.

The first half of Invincible season 2 was great and bit more in line with what I recall order wise from the comics. Love hearing Peter Cullen, but his character is probably the one Clancy Brown should have actually been voicing opposed to Kregg. Feels a pinch too deep for that though its Clancy Brown so I will probably enjoy him regardless. Disappointed they split the season in half though I'm excited for what's to come. The Atom Eve Special was nice though I have no memory of it comics wise.

• 2 weeks later...

40 years of Transformers next year.

I prefer Beast Machines then Beast Wars. Beast Machines was loose with continuity. Both shows weren't true continuations of any of the actual G1 universes but bits from the Sunbow 80's Transformers cartoon and Marvel comics combined and mythologized.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...