DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

I somehow hadn’t seen the Brave and Bold movie, which is Bats teaming with the Scooby Gang to solve his only unsolved case. Lots of cameos by Batman’s C and D list villains, like Zebra Man, Ten Eyed Man and Cat Man. Also the kids dressed as Batman’s sidekicks, including Scooby as Ace the Bat Hound. Well worth the free Vudu rental I had. 

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

FYI, Season 2 of Masters of the Universe: Revelation, called Masters of the Universe: Revolution, debuts on January 25 on Netflix. Keith  David as Hordak.

Also, John De Lancie voices Granamyr.

https://youtu.be/tHC-VTmLlpU

That put a huge grin on my face. Was the first season any good? People in the comments were complaining everything happens in the first ten minutes of the episodes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That put a huge grin on my face. Was the first season any good? People in the comments were complaining everything happens in the first ten minutes of the episodes.

Yes, the first season is very good. Most of the complaining is nothing but anti-woke reactionary culture war garbage, mainly because of an awful channel called Clownfish TV claiming that Teela "replaces" He-Man and has a "girlfriend." The so-called girlfriend is Andra, who isn't Teela's lover.

The first season isn't perfect, but I think it finds its footing in the second half. The animation is great and it mixes in all parts of Masters of the Universe.

Kevin Smith IMHO didn't help matters by engaging with the trolls on social media. You should never feed the trolls, and it only made things worse. You never see Christopher Nolan debating or defending his decisions on social media. 

On 1/16/2024 at 10:53 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Was the first season any good? 

i thought it was pretty great. 

i'm a huge fan of the 80s series. and i thought the 2002 reboot series was also excellent (and in some ways a marked improvement, which i pretty much NEVER say about remakes. ESPECIALLY about 80s cartoons!)  The word i remember hearing from Kevin Smith pre-debut was that this series was a direct continuation of the 80s series, which it is definitely NOT. but yes, i definitely recommend it if you're a fan of the He-Man universe (and like Vile said, as long as you can look past all of the hatred thrown it's way because of the "woke"/"anti-woke" bullshit)

• Like 1

First season was very good and tied in a lot of the 80's storylines and the comic lore in.  It was more continuation of the 80's show than any of the reboots.   Ignore online stuff and remember a certain online section will always go berserk when a woman does anything positive in media.

• Like 1

https://411mania.com/movies/masters-of-the-universe-revolution-review/

My non-spoiler review of the series.

This is not a direct continuation of the Filmation series. It's more like an updated AU that feels familiar to the original series but it combines elements from across the various sources to create a new singular definitive mythology. Like imagine the Filmation series but it's a bit more serious and mature. Characters can get stabbed, bleed, and die. 

Like when they meet Gwildor, Man-at-arms references things that sound like "Oh shit, is the 1987 movie canon in this series?" No, it's more like in this series timeline, the characters previously met Gwildor and there was event that was likely very similar in the past that played out exactly like the 1987 movie.

Tons of Easter Eggs and cameos throughout the season. Star Trek's John de Lancie voices a dragon. 

Revolution's biggest problem is the lack of time. They only get five episodes versus 10 episodes for the first season. Makes me feel like Netflix wants to bury the show.

Edited by TheVileOne

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 10:53 PM, Curt McGirt said:

S1 is probably my favorite Kevin Smith thing, and I didn't know he had it in him. The first episode is a pretty good "Last He-Man Story" that could've been the end of the 80s show if the last episode were made for an older audience, and it gets better from there. 

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

https://twitter.com/yuhkidemers/status/1759965713719235056

Gutted. We've all wanted Warner Brothers to do Batman Beyond.

I'm not gutted because this was for an animated feature. Which is fine and all, but I see no point to that, especially not with Bruce Timm and Paul Dini involved. If it was live action, that's another matter, but that's not what they were going for here. 

As an aside, Timm said the rumor of Kevin Conroy being in the new Batman cartoon show were untrue. That wanted to do s9nething but he passed away before recording anything. 

it’s possible his last time playing Batman was in the new Suicide Squad game. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For anyone who doesn't already have BTAS on physical media, the Blu Ray is only $30 right now on Amazon. That's the whole series and the Phantasm and Mr Freeze movies. 

• Thanks 1

https://variety.com/2024/artisans/news/spider-verse-animated-short-the-spider-within-1235948300/

The Spider Within: A Spider-Verse Story a short film set between Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse looking at mental health. This will be released on Sony Pictures Animation YouTube channel, 27th March.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 7:30 AM, The Natural said:

https://variety.com/2024/artisans/news/spider-verse-animated-short-the-spider-within-1235948300/

The Spider Within: A Spider-Verse Story a short film set between Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse looking at mental health. This will be released on Sony Pictures Animation YouTube channel, 27th March.

Link for tomorrow:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FcGPpwFdE1Y

Latest Invincible episode was good. I forgot Anissa came in that early. Wasn't expecting her until the war. I love that they adapted the comic con panels joke to animation. It was done so perfectly.