DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

I'm still in on the show.  but for the love of god, don't read the comments.  The bitching from the Incel wing makes me want to burn the internet to the ground.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

@NikoBaltimore: You asked me for recommendations for Teen Titans GO! I did them but didn't tag you. Here's the Mk II with essentials in bold.

Ghostboy. S1, Ep9.

Super Robin. S1, Ep15.

Meatball Party. S1, Ep19.

Colours of Raven. S1, Ep25.

Sidekick. S1, Ep33.

Legs. S1, Ep37.

Friendship. S2, Ep15.

Thanksgiving. S2, Ep23.

The Best Robin. S2, Ep24.

Some of their Parts. S2, Ep52.

Animals, It's Just a Word. S3, Ep14.

Two Parter. S3, Ep17 and Ep18. One of my favourite episodes as The Teen Titans don The Justice League costumes to battle Darkseid on Apokolips.

The Cruel Giggling Ghoul. S3, Ep23. Homage to The New Scooby-Doo Movies.

Wally T. S3, Ep33. Moving this one.

Oregon Trail. S3, Ep48.

Oh Yeah! S3, Ep50. One for our wrestling fans.

Hot Salad Water. S4, Ep26. The most controversial episode ever.

Justice League's Next Top Talent Idol Star. S4, Ep37 and Ep38.I

The Self-Indulgent 200th Episode Spectacular! S4, Ep44 and Ep45.

Mo' Money Mo' Problems. S4, Ep51. One of my favourite episodes looking at Alfred, Wayne Manor and the live action Batman movies.

Real Orangins. S5, Ep9. One of my favourite episodes ever bringing back Batman: The Animated Series!

Bat Scouts. S6, Ep11.

You need to see Teen Titans Go! To The Movies and Teen Titans Go! Vs. Teen Titans. Teen Titans Go! To The Movies is one of the best ever Teen Titans Go! It's a frequently funny tease of superhero movies. There's a montage which is so dark and the last line of the movie is hilarious. I was going to see it at the cinema but my Sister was too poorly. Teen Titans Go! Vs. Teen Titans puts the two teams together from the original (2003-2006) and the current (2013-present day).

Hope this helps, Niko!

Edited by The Natural

Batman vs. Darkseid from Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (2010). Darkseid is voiced by Andre Braugher Police Captain Raymond Holt in the police comedy series Brooklyn Nine-Nine (2013–present).

Edited by The Natural

On the assumption that Kevin Smith is really a no-talent hack, hell, self admittedly, I am actively annoyed about the really good (from people who care about this stuff) reviews on the stupid new He-Man show. It was, unquestionably, the most important thing in my life when I was 4-6 or whatever. There's no way I can convince the 9 year old to watch this no matter how much she loved the She-Ra remake and I'm not enthused about the idea of watching frigging He-Man on my own in 2021 as I push 40.

Edited by Matt D
  • Haha 2

Just watched Batman: The Long Halloween, Part One (2021) on DVD having got it a few weeks ago. I've wanted to see an animated adaptation of this for years and it was worth the wait. This was great for the story, I didn't have issues with an animation unlike some and the performances particularly Jensen Ackles' Bruce Wayne/Batman, Naya Rivera's (RIP) Selina Kyle/Catwoman and Billy Burke as Lieutenant Gordon. There's even a post-credits scene! I'll be picking up the conclusion when it hits DVD next month.

Watching The Long Halloween Part 1b and... I ;like it but there are things that seem changed from the first source (namely the relationship between Alberto and his father). But I still am enjoying it a great deal. I like the art style as it seems like the perfect compromise of the DCAU style and the more recent direct to video style.

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

If Netflix counted individual views,  I would never stop playing Masters on repeat just to hydrate myself on incel tears.  It's amazing watching such manly men throwing tantrums that'd make most 4 year Olds shake their heads in disgust over a tv show created in the 80's to sell toys. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

If Netflix counted individual views,  I would never stop playing Masters on repeat just to hydrate myself on incel tears.  It's amazing watching such manly men throwing tantrums that'd make most 4 year Olds shake their heads in disgust over a tv show created in the 80's to sell toys. 

The Rotten Tomatoes review bomb shit is so pathetic. I was not a fan of MOTU as a kid, I was just aging out and I thought it sucked. But this show is freaking great two eps in. 
edit: I just binged the first five eps. It's so much fun.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The Rotten Tomatoes review bomb shit is so pathetic. I was not a fan of MOTU as a kid, I was just aging out and I thought it sucked. But this show is freaking great two eps in. 
edit: I just binged the first five eps. It's so much fun.

i had zero interest in the He-Man reboot, but i read an article on the Rotten Tomatoes review bombing, and decided to watch the first ep out of curiosity.  I thought I'd watch one ep and forget about it, but I marathoned the first five eps. yesterday.  

I really don't remember the 80's cartoon or the live-action movie - probably never saw them - but I'm more or less familiar with the setup.  Thought Revelation's scripting did a nice job of balancing the feel of 80's cartoons with more modern storytelling.  I binged the first five eps. yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Completely mystified by the hate for the show. 

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

I'm three episodes in twice. Why? I was sneaking it in early in the morning as I knew the wife was annoyed about everything about this. She's anti-Kevin Smith in part because she has an older cousin (and we're about 40 here) who is way too into him and a general waste of space and is against MOTU because of the fanbase in general, which, who can blame her? So I watched the first three episodes yesterday with the 9 year old, who previously showed no interest, waking up at the end of the third one. I tried to get the fourth one in today and she demanded we restart. Then the 19 year old (who probably never went to sleep last night anyway) came out. So now they're watching it again from the start and I got through the first three again before the wife woke up. So maybe we finish it next weekend.

When the show doesn't try too hard with the in-jokes, it's fine. The first few minutes of the first episode was the worst with the "you look like a warrior goddess" or "i have the power" bits. When they just let the puns sit there instead of trying to make them easter eggs, it's better. They give us Mark Hamill Skeletor and you want more of that throughout and that's a tease.

Some of the character beats don't quite work and some things don't make sense at all (I won't go into details because i don't feel like spoiling this stuff), but it's generally competent and done with a lot of love. They sacrifice characters mid-level characters (like the TrapJaws of the world) too easily, but I was expecting a much higher gratuitous death count actually.