DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

Invincible pilot reminded me why I loved the comic so much up thru about the Dinosaurus story that ran thru #100. Small changes like William being out from his second line of dialog instead of figuring it out five years in make sense, the animation is good and the casting is excellent. They moved up the Really Huge Twist (issue 7 of the comic) and I don't love that decision but I definitely understand it. Will watch 2-3 tomorrow and report back.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Invincible pilot reminded me why I loved the comic so much up thru about the Dinosaurus story that ran thru #100. Small changes like William being out from his second line of dialog instead of figuring it out five years in make sense, the animation is good and the casting is excellent. They moved up the Really Huge Twist (issue 7 of the comic) and I don't love that decision but I definitely understand it. Will watch 2-3 tomorrow and report back.

I didn’t love the animation, as parts seemed kind of static, especially a lot of the faces.  

It makes sense to move up the twist given that a lot of people watching are probably already aware of it. On the other hand, I think it’s also smart to show the graphic violence in the first episode, because it would have been a pretty big shock to get several episodes into the show and then see that pretty big shift.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

I didn’t love the animation, as parts seemed kind of static, especially a lot of the faces.  

It makes sense to move up the twist given that a lot of people watching are probably already aware of it. On the other hand, I think it’s also smart to show the graphic violence in the first episode, because it would have been a pretty big shock to get several episodes into the show and then see that pretty big shift.

I think you're absolutely right. However, it feels REALLY weird to have the twist before Allen shows up.

Now that I'm caught up, I have cooled on the animation. You are right about the faces; I think they did a really good job on the action but the character bits are lacking.

If this show gets more than one season, I'll be interested to see how Rogen and Mantzoukis acquit themselves as their characters are asked to carry more drama.

Just watched the first episode and I was thinking "that didn't happen this early, right?" So glad to see I'm not crazy and my memory isn't that bad yet.

Good so far, but I think I'll wait a day or three before continuing.

I’ve never read the comics, so the twist at the end of ep 1 was surprising and made me more likely to keep watching. Thought the whole thing was well done but that cartoon episodes should be under 30 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't really like what they did with Tim Sale's art. It's like they started trying to adapt his art style, stopped midway through, and then did it over again.

If Batman: The Long Halloween (2021) came out the same time as the animated adaptations of Batman: Year One (2011) and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (2012-2013), it would resemble the art of those books. This and Batman: The Killing Joke (2016) I've wanted to see as an animated movie for years. I just hope The Long Halloween is more like Year One/The Dark Knight Returns than The Killing Joke. You said it yourself at the time of release that it's unlike me swearing at the makers, Brian Azzarello and Bruce Tim courting controversy for that shit prologue.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I wonder which Batman books might be adapted into a movie next either as a full adaptation or parts of different story arcs blended into one as Batman's had more animated movies than any other DC character.

Batman: Dark Victory makes sense following Batman: The Long Halloween. I'd like to see Batman Reborn: Batman and Robin properly done (Dick Grayson's Batman and Damian Wayne/Robin were used in Batman: Bad Blood), Batman: The Black Mirror, Batwoman: Elegy, Tower of Babel and Batman: Knightfall.

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

If Batman: The Long Halloween (2021) came out the same time as the animated adaptations of Batman: Year One (2011) and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (2012-2013), it would resemble the art of those books. This and Batman: The Killing Joke (2016) I've wanted to see as an animated movie for years. I just hope The Long Halloween is more like Year One/The Dark Knight Returns than The Killing Joke. You said it yourself at the time of release that it's unlike me swearing at the makers, Brian Azzarello and Bruce Tim courting controversy for that shit prologue.

Unfortunately, not every show can do it as well as Invincible:

Edited by TheVileOne

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Unfortunately, not every show can do it as well as Invincible:

I know very little about Invincible. It's a show I want to see at some point. Cool going into it like that as normally I know which books are borrowed from.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Just now, The Natural said:

I know very little about Invincible. It's a show I want to see at some point.

I think even if you've never looked at the comic, you are going to enjoy this one. It's a very cool, post-modern take on superhero stories and teenaged superhero drama. At least in the first half or so of the book. In the second half it kind of goes off the rails. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I think even if you've never looked at the comic, you are going to enjoy this one. It's a very cool, post-modern take on superhero stories and teenaged superhero drama. At least in the first half or so of the book. In the second half it kind of goes off the rails. 

Cheers, @TheVileOne.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finished episode  of Invincible last night. Loved how it turned out. The cast did a fantastic job with this. Its been too long since I've read the comic so i don;t know all of the changes offhand, but so far nothing is really bothering with how things have played out. So happy we are getting at least two more seasons.

Finished Invincible over the weekend, without having ever read the comic. Also binged Jupiter's Legacy so going through both series back to back revealed lots of my biases about series adapted from comics

Spoiler

Jupiter's Legacy felt like it really fucking dragged during the 40s scenes. With no familiarity at all with the comic, I felt like the flashbacks dragged out unnecessarily to fill time while the modern scenes were so disjointed. You have the whole clone thing, and then they take forever to get around to the autopsy after finding out the original dude was still locked up. So the guy kills a couple heroes, they find out pretty fucking quick they fought a CLONE, and they're dragging their feet getting to the bottom of this mystery?

Then you got guys deciding to just kill heroes, and every last hero is like "guess I'll just die then" i mean damn at least let the heroes, you know, BE HEROES and not doormats that let the villains steamroll them

And holy fuck, I really hated most of the flashbacks since it felt like Utopian was channeling Tony having a breakdown on the Sopranos. I'm completely unfamiliar with the comic so if they ever explain the island and get into how the Six are chosen then maybe condense the flashbacks and flesh that shit out more

This was way too angsty, so when it finishes with the brother killing his kid I was COMPLETELY confused since the skyfox guy was the big bad, wasn't he?

Invincible felt like it was way better scripted and I loved seeing the cast from Big Mouth pop up here almost playing the same characters. The angst with wanting to quit heroing because of the danger felt "been there done that" since I'd just finished JL but at least with Invincible it made sense since they legit fought alien invasions and shit, interdimensional beings n shit. This was way more fun i thought, and if I was to pick just one to recommend to friends that miss The Boys, I'd choose Invincible 10 times out of ten

If I ranked modrrn comic adaptations for TV shows that weren't mainstream dc/marvel I would go

1 Invincible  / 2 The Boys / 3 Umbrella Academy & Preacher together tied/ 4 Jupiter's Legacy 

Haven't seen Deadly Class yet, so no ranking for now

I didn't dislike Jupiter's Legacy, but I agree with that ranking. Invincible is the only comic I actually read before. If I added stuff like Deadly Class & Locke and Key it would probably move down further.

Man, even with the iffy facial emoting, the two montages at the end of Invincible were perfect. I need to look into Lighthouse and the Whaler. Again, this show is reminding me why it was my favorite comic for so long.

Spoiler

I really hope Donald isn't actually dead.  It's a fairly meaningless change from the comic and takes out a character for whom I have a soft spot for no real reason.

Ed Asner for Brit in season 2 or bust.

Edited by Cliff Hanger
Been so long since I needed a spoiler tag, I forgot how