DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber XI - 2/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, killsteve said:

Crazy to think they basically created the womens tag belts just to keep Sasha and Bayley happy at the time. The fact the belts have been pointless ever since kind of shows they were just a vanity project

well, they are tag team belts in the WWE, after all...

and in grand WWE tradition, the maiden voyage of the belts began with the standard-issue champs lose non-title match to top contenders angle, so it's not like they didn't immediately serve notice it was going to be the Same Old Shit in a new carton w.r.t. the undercard championships

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

I wouldn't say the WWE Women's Tag Team Championship were pointless with the Kabuki Warriors and especially the second Banks/Bayley reign as the Golden Role Models. I believe they were a ratings draw across all three shows. I'd have kept together a little longer, say a month or two more before splitting them. It sucks that there's not much teams still around with the Golden Role Models, Kabuki Warriors, Iiconics and Alexa Bliss/Nikki Cross gone.

the first time Jax/Bayzler won the belts, all former championship combinations had already ceased to exist, and that's in just a year & a half.  Asuka & Flair, a combination so thrown together and temporary you can see the expiration date stamped on them, are now the only former champions who still exist.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The WWE is saying that Keith Lee status for the PPV is "uncertain" for Sunday. They are using storyline "injuries suffered by being attacked by Lashley" (reality is he is still battling/recovering from COVID)

Unknown if he isn't cleared if it will just be Lashley vs Riddle or if someone else gets inserted into the match

I thought Lee had covid when Mia did.

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's entirely possible he's no longer infected, but isn't fully recovered. Nick Jackson talked pretty extensively about how it took him months to get his endurance back.

That's the scary thing, doing a number on people who already fit/in shape and what it does to them. Fuck coronavirus.

• Like 1

And also one of the great "What If?" events in modern WWE.

What if Ali was cleared and Kofi never got that spot?

Massiveripple effect for the next 6 months of the main event scene & also the significance of Kofi's win being lost to the ages...

• Like 1

Bayley and Sasha legitimately wanted a women's tag title division.  They begged for it for months.  Many of the women on the roster had nothing going on and this was supposed to be a way to legitimize other talent.  it's not their fault that WWE gave up on it almost immediately. They were told that it was going to be different. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Bayley and Sasha legitimately wanted a women's tag title division.  They begged for it for months.  Many of the women on the roster had nothing going on and this was supposed to be a way to legitimize other talent.  it's not their fault that WWE gave up on it almost immediately. They were told that it was going to be different. 

Okay, so this take...

They went from the most over face tag team roster to the most over heel tag team. From there they organically built a tag team, made them over faces, and switched the titles to them.  They then feuded with and lost to a more talented team, who then lost them back.  THEN they go back to the original champs, who eventually lose them to a monster heel tag team, who lose and regain them from a monster face tag team.  

Everything in that division has been logical and built and has been since it's inception.   

I'm sorry your favorite talent lost them to the Iiconics (who 100% deserved the belts) but the Women's Tag belts are on TV every week on multiple shows and consistently have feuds to deal with.  Enough with this "the WWE gave up" on them.  It's easily the most important tag title in the company. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Okay, so this take...

They went from the most over face tag team roster to the most over heel tag team. From there they organically built a tag team, made them over faces, and switched the titles to them.  They then feuded with and lost to a more talented team, who then lost them back.  THEN they go back to the original champs, who eventually lose them to a monster heel tag team, who lose and regain them from a monster face tag team.  

Everything in that division has been logical and built and has been since it's inception.   

I'm sorry your favorite talent lost them to the Iiconics (who 100% deserved the belts) but the Women's Tag belts are on TV every week on multiple shows and consistently have feuds to deal with.  Enough with this "the WWE gave up" on them.  It's easily the most important tag title in the company. 

i agree with most everything you said here but there's a couple things where they've fallen short. i don't have an issue with Sasha/Bayley losing the titles eventually or even losing them to the iiconics,  my issue was they didn't give them a proper run as the initial champions and then they lost them in a 4 way match that had a lackluster build to it.  i was expecting them to have an actual feud with say Mandy/Sonya who they had great chemistry with in the Elimination Chamber. 

then the iiconics win the titles and while they were on TV some, they didn't have many memorable defenses of the belts either.  

Then they started breaking up all the teams so there's only ever 2-3 teams in the division.  

They split the iiconics up only to put Peyton in a tag team with Lacey and then Lacey goes solo. 

They split the Riot Squad only to put them back together again. 

They split Mandy/Sonya which ended up being a good feud but then put Mandy in a tag team with Dana. 

i'm hopeful that the women's Dusty Cup will lead to more women's tag team wrestling in the future.  

• Like 2

As someone who felt the titles were a good idea I've always found the booking to be generally lackluster. IIconcis were not super over aside from the more smarkish crowd and honestly ranged from bad to average their entire run. We love them as characters, but that is it. It made no sense to make them champs that soon. Bayley and Sasha should have been used to actually help establish the belts.

If you only look at the champs the booking seems logical. When you look actually watch regularly its pretty bad with how they generally treated half the teams and the lack of solid feuds. NXT during the recent Dusty Cup is probably the most interesting the division has potentially looked, and you still know its kind of screwed because Raquel is more than ready to be on her own, its close to Wrestlemania where the belts can easily be used to throw most of the division in for a match, & its clear they want the belts to be a main roster feature.

Predictions:

Drew McIntyre retains the WWE Championship in the RAW Elimination Chamber.

Cesaro wins the Smackdown Elimination Chamber match and faces Roman Reigns for the WWE Universal Championship. Daniel Bryan's my second pick.

Roman Reigns defends the WWE Universal Championship against Cesaro.

Sasha Banks and Bianca Belair win the WWE Women's Tag Team Championship.

Bobby Lashley retains the WWE United States Championship.

Interested to see whether the winner of the Smackdown Elimination Chamber immediately faces Roman Reigns after winning it or that Elimination Chamber match goes on earlier and then the title match is later on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Interested to see whether the winner of the Smackdown Elimination Chamber immediately faces Roman Reigns after winning it or that Elimination Chamber match goes on earlier and then the title match is later on.

Roman defending immediately afterwards would be the classic heel move to do and I fully expect them to go that route.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Roman defending immediately afterwards would be the classic heel move to do and I fully expect them to go that route.

That's the way I'm thinking it'll go, my friend. Great minds think alike as the phrase goes :).

• Like 1

I assume it's Cesaro at this point, probably because Reigns wants it and wants a really good match, and they shifted it to the post Chamber thing because they're refusing to go all in on it and don't think Cesaro vs Reigns, on its own, would draw more (interest) than Reigns vs the winner of the chamber. But that's just a guess.

Yeah - I mean if I was ranking in order I would say 1) Cesaro and 2) Bryan

Pretty much with what Matt said since, using Cesaro as the example, they could easily make him look strong in the Chamber (2 to 3 eliminations) before losing to Reigns (including a couple of hope spots)

The reason I say Bryan is because if you are going to end up with Bryan vs. Reigns at Mania - Reigns beating Bryan "cheaply" at EC is the way to jump start that.

I should add the caveat here that they still could still do something wacky with Miz cashing in that would probably be the most infuriating thing for all involved. Like Cesaro gets put over strong, beats Reigns somehow, Reigns snaps and beats him down more, Miz cashes in and Cesaro ends up with like a 5 minutes reign. (And then Reigns easily gets the title back from Miz at the PPV before Mania)