DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber XI - 2/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

17 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Yeah, I soured on 2016-2021 Brock. Lesnar mainly phoned it in but AJ Styles and Daniel Bryan were the exceptions at Survivor Series 2017 and 2018. Those were great. I don't want Brock back. I didn't mind Brock holding the WWE Championship in 2014-2015 as he was delivering inside the ring, Lesnar vs. Reigns at WrestleMania XXXI was fantastic and one of the best main events in the show's long history. 

I liked the Lesnar v Balor match as well. Really thought it was going to build to Demon v Lesnar at Mania that year.

Guys I would like to see Lesnar work with:

Lashley - Make it a pseudo shoot/fight. These guys could absolutely pull off some sort of MMA/Hoss hybrid match

Bryan - As a once off it was awesome. Give some reason for Lesnar to want to 'End Bryan's Career' and it could get pretty scary watching him get thrown around.

Reigns - More for the Heyman dynamic. If Roman keeps the title through Mania this is the match I want to see at SummerSlam.

Cesaro - It was a match we should have had following Mania 30. Keep pushing Cesaro and let these two stiff the hell out of each other.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I liked the Lesnar v Balor match as well. Really thought it was going to build to Demon v Lesnar at Mania that year.

Guys I would like to see Lesnar work with:

Lashley - Make it a pseudo shoot/fight. These guys could absolutely pull off some sort of MMA/Hoss hybrid match

Bryan - As a once off it was awesome. Give some reason for Lesnar to want to 'End Bryan's Career' and it could get pretty scary watching him get thrown around.

Reigns - More for the Heyman dynamic. If Roman keeps the title through Mania this is the match I want to see at SummerSlam.

Cesaro - It was a match we should have had following Mania 30. Keep pushing Cesaro and let these two stiff the hell out of each other.

Yeah, Brock vs. Balor was a good one. I'd like to see all those though I'm not hopeful for Brock vs. Roman delivering, only match that did was the first at WrestleMania XXXI. Sadly I think Brock vs. Bryan was a one and done.

First Chamber was excellent. Bummed that Cesaro didn't win. More bummed that when Bryan did win we only got a minute of him vs. Reigns. I'm less interested in Edge/Reigns than Reigns vs. any of Cesaro, Bryan or even Jey Uso. 

Not big on the Miz right now but it does spice things up at least. I'd be okay with him dropping the belt to Lashley, only for him to drop it back to Drew at Mania. That way we get well deserved rewards for Miz, Lashley and Drew. 

Solid show I suppose.

I'd forgotten this was on, legitimately. I'd sort of prepared myself for The Miz sucessfully cashing-in, and I even managed to convince myself it was probably the best way to go at this point. Where they go with it, I don't know. The Miz/Morrson stuff has been terrible, but The Miz a capable heel and I don't really have a problem with him getting a fresh push. It's not like McIntyre is really setting the world on fire or anything.

I was thinking of other wrestlers with a lengthy time between WWE world title reigns. Me and @Matt D said Bob Backlund and Kane. Since then and with very little sleep, I've come up with:

Goldberg. Lost the World Heavyweight Championship in December 2003. Became WWE Universal Champion in February 2016. Total: 13 years.

The Rock. Lost the WWE Undisputed Championship in August 2002. WWE Champion: January to April 2013. Total: 11 years.

Brock Lesnar. Lost the WWE Championship to Eddie Guerrero, February 2004. Won it back in August 2014. Total: 10 years.

Rock, Brock and Goldberg were gone for a while unlike the Miz and Kane.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Saw this and I'll just defer to people with ... encyclopedic knowledge of titles, but apparently Miz is the first person to complete the WWE Grand Slam twice. (World, US, IC, Tag)

I want to say this is wrong, but looking through the histories... this appears correct.

Edge to me is similar to Bryan in that he's enough of a name guy to have a WM match with Reigns at a time when Reigns isn't going to lose to anybody, and you don't want to feed someone with upward mobility to him. It's not a match I particularly want to see but I get it booking wise. 

I don't know who exactly on the roster should beat Reigns at some point, but I think we're a year+ away from it. 

Miz was a highlight until the past year's team with Morrison which has been the drizzling shits. If this cash in happened a year ago no one would have an issue with it. As it is, the stench of corporate brand synergy whatever is all over it and it pretty much sucks. 

59 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Saw this and I'll just defer to people with ... encyclopedic knowledge of titles, but apparently Miz is the first person to complete the WWE Grand Slam twice. (World, US, IC, Tag)

Bret Hart won the US title in WCW and when he returned to WWE in 2010 and won it from The Miz.

45 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I want to say this is wrong, but looking through the histories... this appears correct.

I’m convinced this is wrong. Firstly, I’m spending way too much time thinking about this as the definition is completely arbitrary anyway. The US/IC are classed as separate achievements but the different World and Tag championships aren’t, surely two different world championships are more impressive than two different secondary championships.

By my reckoning Rey has already done it twice (2 time world, 1 time WWE, 4 tag, 2 US, 2 IC). Dolph as well (2 world, 2 US, 6 IC, 4 tag), although wiki doesn’t even have him listed.

For the modern grand slam it would probably make more sense to have the IC/US as interchangeable and have the 4th rung as MITB or Rumble winner.

Yeah that is the the problem with the "Grand Slam" now - there are two many World and Tag Team titles and it seems like folks pick and choose at their convenience (like the Washington Nationals only recognizing that they used to be the Montreal Expos when it suits their narrative.)

And that isnt even getting into things like the Women's Grand Slam counts NXT but the men's one doesn't

9 hours ago, caley said:

I think you could do lots of fun stuff with the MITB still, off the top of my head

There's also room for the Champion to put a target on the MitB holder in a manner of ways rather than passively waiting to get screwed out of the title. Imagine Braun or Brock stalking the briefcase holder and daring them to step up. Or putting them on the shelf so when they reappear for the cash in, its more of a surprise. Or have someone put a bounty on the briefcase holder ("Take the damn money!").  Or have a large security team to defend themselves from a sudden cash in from the MitB holder. The actually had this nugget when Mojo Rawley had the 24/7 title and had Riddick Moss watching his back only to get foiled in a week. 

• Like 3

Speaking of Braun - wasn't there something about him being pissed he wasn't put in the Chamber and he was gonna make it known?

Wasn't he supposed to be on the show?

(Not that I wanted him to be but I feel like I missed something)

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Speaking of Braun - wasn't there something about him being pissed he wasn't put in the Chamber and he was gonna make it known?

Yeah on RAW, Braun was pissed he wasn't included even though it was for past WWE Champions only.

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I'm sure this means he's going to beat up someone.  Drew if he's turning heel.  Umm...  Morrison if he's face?  I think?  

Then nothing happens after. 

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Edge to me is similar to Bryan in that he's enough of a name guy to have a WM match with Reigns at a time when Reigns isn't going to lose to anybody, and you don't want to feed someone with upward mobility to him. It's not a match I particularly want to see but I get it booking wise. 

I don't know who exactly on the roster should beat Reigns at some point, but I think we're a year+ away from it. 

I don't disagree that Edge is a good opponent for Reigns to beat, even if I'm not that into it. I'm not sure it's a given that he won't win though. By any means. In fact I thought a lot of people are expecting Edge to win as they'll play up how incredible it is that he came back from a career ending injury to win the big one at Mania. Do hope not though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Easy.  Gets rid of the briefcase, leads to: 

Fastlane --> Miz vs. McIntyre.  Drew wins it back via Bad Bunny interference. 

Mania -->  Miz vs. Bunny, Drew vs. Bobby.   Or whoever. 

When they showed MVP talking to Miz in the back, I figured Lashley was going to buy the briefcase from Miz. Between that and Bad Bunny asking Miz where his title was, Miz’s win was decently foreshadowed for WWE.

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Casey said:

I just watched the Bliss, Bayley and Carmella cash-ins on YouTube and I fail to see how any of those were good. In one instance you have Alexa fucking Bliss throwing Ronda Rousey around the ringside area and then beating Nia Jax, who had like a minute or two to recover inside the ring. The other two are just babyfaces getting a win over a heel Charlotte who is either knocked out or on wobbly legs. Yeah, fun times, I guess.

I mean, any time someone goes over on Shoehorn Charlotte it's a good thing. And that Alexa Bliss cash-in was well executed. And she smacked the shit out of both of them with the heavy briefcase, which has been established in the mythos as having the power of a shotgun blast. I guess you can always find a reason to be upset by something. For me it's Kenny Omega & Seth Rollins. 

• Like 1

This is one of the better main roster ppvs lately since at least the in-ring action was good, even if the writing was shit.

I really liked the SD chamber, probably the best one I've seen in 7 (?) years. The key was Baron Corbin being used appropriately and not overstaying his welcome. Jey Uso also played his part nicely, and his elimination of KO was vicious. Cesaro winning would've been slightly better, but nothing wrong with Bryan. There was something wrong with him getting squashed immediately after, though. Given how the show ended, I don't see how a competitive Bryan/Roman match with Edge challenging Roman after wouldn't have been a better close.

The US 3-way was good too. Lashley was a monster and Riddle/Morrison filled in the roles of guys who can bump, but still end up getting credible offense with their athleticism. The crutch kept Lashley strong and him vs. Drew at Mania would be great.

The women's tag seemed a little disjointed, mostly because of Nia. I'd like to see Shayna/Sasha at some point. Bianca still doesn't do much for me, but at least it's a fresh face in the picture. Reginald's involvement foreshadowing more Carmella can't be good, though.

The Raw chamber was more of the usual forgettable kind of chamber we've become accustomed to the last 10+ years. Considering I only watch ppvs, I forgot Miz still had the case. I would probably be even more annoyed if I learned how he got the case back after TLC. Luckily, there's an easy path to Drew/Lashley, but it still doesn't make me want to see another Miz main event.

28 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

We’re getting Miz vs Bad Bunny for the WWE championship at Wrestlemania. And Bad Bunny will win. 

In a world where nothing works and apparently nothing can possibly work and nothing actually needs to work when it comes to the bottom line, where they've pushed away everyone but an audience that will probably never even be possible to push away, is there any decision imaginable better than this?

Lauper and Mr T. helped drive the boom in 84-85. Tyson helped drive the boom in 98. Bad Bunny is a star on that level and not a David Arquette level.

It's not that I want to see this, it's just that I can't think of anything they could possibly do (other than landing Cardi B which is basically the SAME thing) that would possibly move the needle more than this. I'm not saying this will move the needle, just that there's literally nothing in the traditional wrestling bag of tricks with the talent they have available to them that has a better chance of doing it.

• Like 1